Train from Seward to Anchorage

Algebralovr

What can anyone tell me about the train through Celebrity from Seward to Anchorage?  We are booked on an upcoming cruise on Celebrity Millennium, which docks in Seward.  I booked the train to transfer to the airport.  I understand it is a full train charter. 

What time does the train leave?  
When does it arrive in Anchorage?  

Does it arrive very close to the airport or is a shuttle required?   If close, how close?

Do we simply put our bags out the night before then see them again in Anchorage?  Or do we pick them up in a warehouse in Seward then turn them in again to board the train?

The eDocs said there is very little room for bags on the train.  How little?  We usually each have a carry on sized bag when disembarking.  Mine will be full of medication.  I will probably also have my wheelchair.  Will this be an issue?  I can walk, until I can’t.  

The eDocs said we needed to collect our bags at Anchorage by 3 pm.  We have three couples in the group. The first couple flies out about 7, the last about 10pm.  Recommendations on what to do?  Where?  
I looked on the Alaska board, and everything is about ports of call and what to do, but saw nothing about the transfer. 

I believe there is only one train that travels between Seward and Anchorage although it has a variety of cars that may be associated with your cruise reservation. You can find schedule information for that train at: Alaska Railroad Schedule and Train Information | AlaskaTrain.com

You should look at the entry for ARR Coastal Classic Train Schedule

Note this train departs Seward at 6 pm and arrives in Anchorage at 10:15 pm. When we took this train many years ago there was a luggage car that held your luggage and you retrieved it at the train terminal in Anchorage. 

The Coastal Classic train is the public train on the Alaska RR.    
Celebrity and Royal do a chartered train from Seward to Anchorage, which is what I’m asking about.   

I know it leaves in the morning from Seward, and is a chartered train.  I had to buy it from Celebrity.  
The eDocs specifically mention limited storage for luggage, so I’m concerned about space for our carry on bags and my wheelchair. 

@Algebralovr:  This question actually is asked frequently on the Alaska CC board.  I can answer some of your questions but not all.  I haven't taken the train since we drive to Seward.

The cruise chartered train leaves early in the morning from Seward.  Folks don't board it at the Seward train station but instead board from a rail siding beside the cruise terminal.  This special charter goes directly to the Anchorage Airport.  It does not go to the downtown Anchorage train station and there are no stops in between.  It can only be booked through the cruise line.  

It leaves early in the morning.  I don't remember the time but remember eating breakfast on the Millennium and hearing the final boarding call announcement.  The train run is about four hours in length.

It has been some time since I've been on an Alaska Rail car, but my memory is that the overhead storage bin is smaller than what you find on a plane.

The 6 PM departure mentioned by @p18750 is the regular Alaska Railroad run which operates daily during the summer and goes directly to the Anchorage downtown Alaska Railroad station.  No stop at the Anchorage airport.

11 minutes ago, p18750 said:

I know there used to be a chartered train from Seward to Anchorage but I  thought that was discontinued. I could be wrong but you should check with the cruise line. 

Since our OP has already purchased the transfer Celebrity has chartered the run.  It is extremely popular, and I suspect is a money making transfer for the cruise lines.

Thank you @Northern Aurora!  I had been looking in the Alaska boards but could not find anything.  Since it is supposed to be a Celebrity specific charter, I asked here hoping for info. 

The early morning announcement during breakfast is good to know.  A bit concerning, as well.  Lol

I took this train from Seward to Anchorage airport 4 years ago after getting off the Millennium. I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat, it is a very scenic ride past small glaciers, you see a lot more from the train than from the road as most of the journey is not alongside the road. It does leave early in the morning, about 7am, but on the train they give you a light breakfast. The night before we had to put our luggage in the hallway outside our cabin, then we didn't see the luggage again until Anchorage airport. At the airport we were directed to a room where everyone's luggage was waiting for train riders to collect. I do not know the procedure for taking a wheelchair on the train. I had a small backpack with me that I kept at my feet. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Thank you @Northern Aurora!  I had been looking in the Alaska boards but could not find anything.  Since it is supposed to be a Celebrity specific charter, I asked here hoping for info. 

The early morning announcement during breakfast is good to know.  A bit concerning, as well.  Lol

While we live in Alaska we periodically do Alaska cruises.  And the one (and most likely only time) we have ever driven to a cruise port was when we drove to Seward and did a B2B on the Millennium. I am not a morning person and I remember sitting in Luminae at breakfast hearing that final boarding call announcement.  My thought was just how early did those folks on the train have to get up.  

We were on the road by about 8:15 and that train had left about an hour before.  So I am a little surprised to read that the eDocs state that you will need to collect luggage in Anchorage by 3 PM.  The run itself is about 4 hours in length.  The timing the of the cruise charters from Seward or Whittier (they are also done from Whittier on ship days) hasn't changed in so many years but perhaps a change in the timing this season?  Or perhaps Celebrity is being conservative in their timing.  

All of the cruise lines to the contract charters so consider asking on the Alaska CC forum about the carryon luggage space.  And ask if your luggage will be delivered to your respective airlines or if you will need to do that yourself.  

And I hope you have fun in our state.  With that reduced cruise season last year the SE Alaska cruise port towns are ready for visitors.

• Thanks 1