My wife got COVID on a NCL transatlantic cruise. Here's what happened.

rackingguy

@Honolulu Blue - Yes, overall, it was a positive experience considering the circumstances. There are a few things to iron out, but I’d expect each subsequent cruise to improve from this level, at least with NCL.

@Pele_Nipsy - They said that it would be cleared after 30 days after the cruise and if she didn’t see FCC to contact them, so we’re still TBD on your question. I did save a copy of the current T&C page just in case.

Edited by rackingguy
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 6:27 AM, rackingguy said:

Mods: If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. The article follows the COVID guidelines (I hope!).

We recently finished the NCL Escape transatlantic cruise from NYC to Rome. On day 11, my wife tested positive for COVID-19 and had to stay in quarantine until testing negative the day before and the day of disembarkation. Here's her writeup of the experience: https://www.hullfinancialplanning.com/i-got-covid-on-a-cruise-ship-heres-what-happened/

This was incredibly informative. Thanks to your wife for writing and you for posting. You guys sound like a great travel team.

Edited by Dederee
  • Thanks 1

Good and helpful article. When was this? I just got off a Caribbean cruise and they never tested us once we were onboard. Are they testing on the overseas cruises? Just curious as I have seen a number of stories about people testing positive and wondering what sailings they are testing on or is this people taking a test because they don’t feel good?

9 hours ago, Salf777 said:

Good and helpful article. When was this? I just got off a Caribbean cruise and they never tested us once we were onboard. Are they testing on the overseas cruises? Just curious as I have seen a number of stories about people testing positive and wondering what sailings they are testing on or is this people taking a test because they don’t feel good?

This was the TA on the NCL Escape that docked in Rome on May 11. My wife had a scratchy throat and head pressure, so she decided to test before we disembarked at Cadíz. We brought a bunch of at home tests because we’re staying in Europe until mid-November. Once she tested positive on the home test, we called the nurse station to inform them. 

4 hours ago, rackingguy said:

This was the TA on the NCL Escape that docked in Rome on May 11. My wife had a scratchy throat and head pressure, so she decided to test before we disembarked at Cadíz. We brought a bunch of at home tests because we’re staying in Europe until mid-November. Once she tested positive on the home test, we called the nurse station to inform them. 

Thanks was just curious. Good to see there are people out there who still do the right thing!

I really appreciate your wife writing this! I am so sorry she got sick while doing everything not to. I am so sorry she had to be away from you for the latter part of your cruise. We haven't cruised since 2020 and are scheduled for a TA in September. I am totally willing to take the risks and mitigate them where we can. My husband is a lot more concerned but at this point, it is time to start living. I am happy that NCL provided good communication and care! Your wide has an amazing attitude and I appreciate her advice. Thank you!