Elation! My super last -minute cruise May 16-20

May 21 -  Disembarkment Day

Who doesn't dread the hassle of disembarkment morning?  Our morning was probably no different than anyone else's.  We had breakfast (no Java Cafe stop this morning) in the dining room, collected our bags from our stateroom (we chose self-assist), and sought out a waiting spot until we could leave the ship.  It felt like the wait was much longer than any I could remember but at least it was just the two of us and no children to wrangle or grumpy relatives to placate, so we just played on our phones or watched the people a deck below and waved goodbye to some of our new shipboard friends as they left the ship.  Matt was easy to spot with his white bucket hat with pink pelicans on it.  LOL.

Once off the ship, the line to leave the port was also a slow grind.  Is Jacksonville's port always like this?  I don't know what the embarkment pace is because, like I said,  Leah and I didn't get to the port until after 2:00, so were were the only passengers left to board, and it was a ghost town.  Fortunately,  our flights weren't until later in the afternoon, so were only a little bored but not stressed out.  

As we finally approached security, a clutch of law enforcement personnel (Business dress, badges on lanyards, handcuffs on hips) strode through.  It wasn't the first time during the cruise, we witnessed the presence of security and law enforcement in action, so we weren't surprised that someone (or more than just one person) was being met at the port.  Later in the morning, we ran into a crew member at the Walmart, and he said, "it happens every week".  Also, not a surprise.  People definitely smoke pot on the ship,  behave badly,  or conveniently forget the conditions of their probation or parole.  

Once we left the port, we got an Uber to the Walmart because we needed  a couple things that couldn't wait until we got home.  On the way out, we ran into some of the ship crew who were waiting for their ride back to the ship.  Had a good chat with one of them, and Ubered to the airport.  We had the good fortune of getting an Uber driver originally from Long Island who had a very interesting story about his relocation to Jacksonville.  He's currently living in a nice camper (the kind you haul)  while he builds a house on the land he bought, but he's finding the trailer so comfortable with the modifications he's made,  he's not in a hurry to build the house.  He says his wife is happy there too, but I wonder.  

Leah and I had a surprisingly affordable and delicious meal at the Chili's in the airport.  I like the way you seat yourself, scan the QR code on the table to order, and the waitress comes with your food.  This may be old news to most of you, but not for us.  Even though Chili's is Tex-Mex, the turkey club sandwich is outstanding.  It's packed full of smoked turkey.  This one was too light on avocado but avocados are insanely expensive right now, so I get it. (FYI: They were also one of the things that either ran out or weren't available on the ship.) I took most of it on the plane with me to eat later.  

Since Leah was heading straight to NYC to see a friend and I was heading home, I left her at the Delta gate and then headed to my SW gate to wait for my flight.  On my flight home I sat next to a very interesting woman-about my age- who was returning home from a wedding and family vacation at Disney World.  She was wearing a mask, so I asked her if she would feel more comfortable if I wore one too.  She said, no, it's just that I caught a cold while I was in Florida and I don't want to spread it.  Guess what? It wasn't a cold.....  

Back at BWI, I got on the wrong parking lot shuttle bus twice!  The first time, I mistook the Daily lot bus for the Long-Term bus. The next mistake I made was getting on the bus for Lot B instead of A.   Thank goodness, I had taken a picture of the pole sign nearest my car.  When it was obvious to the driver I had ridden through the whole lot, he asked me where my car was, and I showed him my picture of the pole sign.  He said, you're in the wrong lot.  I didn't want to start all over again by riding back to the airport, so I had him drop me off at the exit of Lot B and I walked across the road to the correct lot.  Duh, me.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, RollingMeadows said:

Uh-oh. Do I detect a positive Covid test in this review? Looking forward to the next installment. 

You are astute.  Yes,  I got the kind that starts with extreme fatigue and seems like a cold (or bad allergies)  but comes and goes quickly except for a lingering little cough.  

On 6/10/2022 at 9:27 AM, Silent Penguin said:

Thank you. I know it's long, and that's not for everyone.   In answer to your question,  Yes, the rates are, or can be, different, but how different  depends on the day.   Here are snapshots from  June 1st and June 10th. VIFP on top and non-VIFP (I signed out) below it.  

JUNE 1st     VIFP rate on top.   Non-VIFP rate on bottom.

image.png.85d911226efa9a4152aacfd3cf64584d.png

This is the same cruise search today, June 10th 

THIS IS VIFP pricing

image.png.803a4227592d17eca1a537ea73b20e69.png

image.png.4cabe6cc699df6968ebadb8b48058c27.png

This is non-VIFP pricing.  I signed out.  

image.png.9156f68f6af6ba4c3719d0d70a0ea296.png

image.png.1467bf656b0c15d55ecd88f7ae5c06cf.png

And it's back down again!   June 15th.  VIFP pricing     image.png.bd2b326b27d421c9741c558fb107d6e6.png

Edited by Silent Penguin
June not "just"