Masks Required On Viking Cruise

eguiney

Just got an email from Viking regarding our Rhine Getaway Cruise.

===========================================

As health guidelines continue to evolve throughout the world, some areas on your itinerary have prevalence rates that are declining at a slower pace. In order to ensure that we are maintaining the safest possible environment for our guests and crew, we are temporarily requiring face masks while moving about the ship and while ashore during your river voyage—whether exploring independently or enjoying a Viking shore excursion—for departures through June 15, 2022. Our staff and crew will continue to wear masks, as will local guides and motorcoach drivers.

This sucks and will make the trip a lot less desirable

Edited by eguiney

It’s actually good news and I think makes the trip a little safer.  I don’t think moving about the ship is the highest risk though, it’s being seated maskless and socializing at cocktails and dinner that is the riskiest behavior.

At least they’re making an attempt to protect you and not have your vacation ruined. If it doesn’t matter to you if you get Covid or not then I see your point.

• Like 3

I just talked to a Viking rep, and the company hasn't given the reps a clear reason to tell customers what was the rationale for the reinstatement.  But there was a story in the Wall Street Journal this week about a woman who got covid on one of their Rhine cruises who had to be quarantined in a hotel in Vienna.  Clearly there is no way to know how she got covid (excursion maybe), so in the email they mention that you have to wear a mask even while walking around a town on your own.  The rep said that obviously they have no way to enforce that, unless you're on one of their shore excursions (which I won't go on now).  So it's CYA, not safety.

2 hours ago, eguiney said:

this sucks and will make the trip a lot less desirable

Each to their own, but we went on the Rhine Getaway during the last week of April and masking didn't spoil the cruise.

FFP-2 masks were supplied free in the cabin and in help-yourself piles at reception and in the lounge.

FFP-2 masks protect the wearer.

It was the law of the countries we passed through that masks were worn on public transport - and that included the coaches Viking used for their tours. Amsterdam Schipol airport also required masks,

Wearing masks when moving around the boat- which basically meant walking to and from the lounge or restaurant wasn't a burden, neither was wearing masks on tours.

But when we walked off boat on our own we took off our masks.

For us, what would make the cruise a lot less desirable would be catching Covid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We were on AMA and Scenic river cruises back-to-back in April and both ships had this same mask policy (required when moving around ship and on buses, not required when sitting and eating/drinking onboard or outdoors).  It didn't hurt our enjoyment, and we came home healthy. Cause/effect?  Who knows, but anything that lowers the odds of being quarantined in Europe is worth a small hassle IMHO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pontac said:

Each to their own, but we went on the Rhine Getaway during the last week of April and masking didn't spoil the cruise.

FFP-2 masks were supplied free in the cabin and in help-yourself piles at reception and in the lounge.

FFP-2 masks protect the wearer.

It was the law of the countries we passed through that masks were worn on public transport - and that included the coaches Viking used for their tours. Amsterdam Schipol airport also required masks,

Wearing masks when moving around the boat- which basically meant walking to and from the lounge or restaurant wasn't a burden, neither was wearing masks on tours.

But when we walked off boat on our own we took off our masks.

For us, what would make the cruise a lot less desirable would be catching Covid.

Were masks required on the top outdoor deck?

11 hours ago, eguiney said:

Masks were required when moving about. I.E. not when sitting. On our trip it was too cold to spend time on the top deck.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:04 PM, eguiney said:

I was just on the Viking cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. Like the others said, the mask wearing wasn't a big deal. I definitely didn't want to get covid and ruin my vacation. I think probably we were supposed to wear masks on the top deck too but I played it by ear. It was never crowded and I felt reasonably safe outside and distanced from others to not always wear a mask. But I always had one available in case someone approached.

• Like 4