Carnival offers page

IrishSails

Upgrade / Upsell offers have been showing up on the  My To-do List  in your cruise manager when you have a cruise booked. Not everyone gets the offers but they seemed to be more prevalent soon after the restart when the ships were way below capacity.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IrishSails said:

I read “somewhere” that someone was offered an upgrade for a fee on the offers page. I’ve gotten phone calls but I’ve never seen anything like that, only booking offers.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Upgrade / Upsell offers have been showing up on the  My To-do List  in your cruise manager when you have a cruise booked. Not everyone gets the offers but they seemed to be more prevalent soon after the restart when the ships were way below capacity.

Upsell offers are always based on the need for the ship, not because of a desire to please guests.  Upsell offers come when they want/need to resell your already assigned stateroom to someone else at a higher price or maybe redistribute guests to a lesser booked category (at a price).   

The offers also disappear when others accept it first.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Upsell offers are always based on the need for the ship, not because of a desire to please guests.  Upsell offers come when they want/need to resell your already assigned stateroom

I suspect Carnival used all the empty cabins to make more money. If you paid for an inside and several balconies are available I would sell you the opportunity to move to that balcony. Its a great business move. The upsell makes me money, makes you happy, and as the word spreads of the increase in these upsell offers it generates more interest in bookings as I am trying to resume to pre shut down numbers.

I agree in the past when the ships were full upsells or even real upgrades, where it didn't cost to be moved to a better room, were done because the booked cabin was needed.

14 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I suspect Carnival used all the empty cabins to make more money. If you paid for an inside and several balconies are available I would sell you the opportunity to move to that balcony. Its a great business move. The upsell makes me money, makes you happy, and as the word spreads of the increase in these upsell offers it generates more interest in bookings as I am trying to resume to pre shut down numbers.

I agree in the past when the ships were full upsells or even real upgrades, where it didn't cost to be moved to a better room, were done because the booked cabin was needed.

Still happens.  If a family needs your connected stateroom or your adjoined room for minor kids, Carnival can upsell you or another adjourned room and then resell your original room to the family. 

And sometimes, people upsell themselves  and then just claim they got a free upgrade so partner doesn't know.  

It would be bad business practice and worse publicity if people all thought that they could book cheaper categories and then bombard PVPs at the last minute for balconies and suites for dollars.

Similar to walking in to a hotel late and asking for a reduced rate so that room gets sold. Most chains no longer do that, instead sell those last minute bookings to the resellers. 

On both of my cruises since the restart I have had the offer appear in "my to do list" in the cruise planner as noted above. The first one was in Novemeber 2021 and ended up sailing at only 50% capacity. Booked an interior and got an email to upgrade to a balcony about a month before sailing. I didn't take it at first and the next week got an email for the same thing for $100 less and took it. When I clicked the link to purchase it took me to the to do list.

The 2nd cruise was April 2022 and there was no email. Saw an offer on my to do list about 3 weeks before sailing to again move from an interior to a balcony.