Istanbul Intercontinental Hotel - close by sights

We will stay at the Intercontinental for one night before we embark on our cruise. This is our second visit to Istanbul though first to stay in this area. We've toured the main sites (Blue Mosque, Topaki, Grand Bazaar, etc.). The hotel is very close to Taksim Square and we are interested in spending our day walking around this area, browsing and stopping for that special coffee getting over our jet lag.  Our ship overnights in Istanbul as well and we have scheduled tours for sights not seen to date: Basilica Cistern and Spice Market. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

I'm pretty sure Rick Steves has a section on sights around Taksim Square, the more modern part of Istanbul. I was there once and unfortunately don't remember much about it as all the things that interest me are in Sultanahmet. The Dolmabahce Palace is nearby but I didn't find it inspiring -- sort of a Versailles wannabe. If you haven't already seen Galata Tower it's not so far away either. Other than that: Ride the old-style trams and eat Turkish ice cream?

Not sure tours are really needed for the Spice Bazaar or the Basilica Cistern. 

If you haven't been to Chora Church to see the mosaics and frescoes it should be on your must-do list. It's a long-ish taxi ride from either Taksim or Sultanahmet. It might be the place where a guide is more valuable....

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm pretty sure Rick Steves has a section on sights around Taksim Square, the more modern part of Istanbul. I was there once and unfortunately don't remember much about it as all the things that interest me are in Sultanahmet. The Dolmabahce Palace is nearby but I didn't find it inspiring -- sort of a Versailles wannabe. If you haven't already seen Galata Tower it's not so far away either. Other than that: Ride the old-style trams and eat Turkish ice cream?

Not sure tours are really needed for the Spice Bazaar or the Basilica Cistern. 

If you haven't been to Chora Church to see the mosaics and frescoes it should be on your must-do list. It's a long-ish taxi ride from either Taksim or Sultanahmet. It might be the place where a guide is more valuable....

Thank you cruisemom42 you always have great suggestions. Our tour includes Chora Church :classic_smile:. We always order Rick Steves books from the library and will definitely check it out along with Dolmabahce Palace and Galata Tower.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

While on the subject of Turkish ports of call, a new port for us is Izmir.  Many ship tours are going to Ephesus & Terrace Houses which we have seen from the Kusadasi port.  Considering Lydian capital of Sardis or, ruins of Pergamum?  Open to recommendations.

32 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

While on the subject of Turkish ports of call, a new port for us is Izmir.  Many ship tours are going to Ephesus & Terrace Houses which we have seen from the Kusadasi port.  Considering Lydian capital of Sardis or, ruins of Pergamum?  Open to recommendations.

That would be such a difficult choice, for me. I have been to Pergamum and really enjoyed it. It is a rich site (and very scenically located high on a mountain) with many different areas to see including temples, a gravity-defying theatre on the slope of the mountain, aqueducts and an ancient healing center or Asklepion, in addition to the scant remains of the famous altar of Zeus (which was removed wholesale and is now in the Pergamum museum in Berlin). I was there for about half a day and could've spent far longer exploring.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to go to Sardis. It also has some remarkable ruins to go along with its remarkable history. Including a huge Imperial baths complex to rival the baths of Caracalla in Rome (from the same period). Its rules read like a roll call from the ancient world:  the legendary King Croesus, Cyrus the Great of Persia, Alexander the Great...

I don't think you could lose with either one. I'd just do some reading and see which one appeals to you more, which offers more time at the site, etc.

• Thanks 1

I spent a few hours in the Taksim Square side of the water on a previous trip where we had an overnight in Istanbul.  I think cruisemom42 has given good suggestions.  I went to the top of the Galata Tower and it offers nice views of Golden Horn waterways and overlooking city.  There is a funicular that you can ride from the Taksim area to the Galata area.  I was coming from the other direction that you will be so I rode the funicular up and walked back down the hill to my ship.  But you could go the other direction to get to Galata.  There's an interesting historical statue in the center of Taksim.  There was also an outdoor exhibit of some sort off to the side of the square when I was there, so maybe you'll experience something similar.  Other than that, it's mostly just shopping and eating and businesses around the Square itself.  I enjoyed the walk between Taksim and Galata.  Lots of things to look at, but nothing remarkably historic that I found, as this is the more modern part of the city.

While exploring the Galata area on foot, I was somewhat startled to see a collection of about 40 well-armed, riot gear type police marching down a street headed somewhere.  I decided I didn't need to follow them to see what was going on.  So I kept going the other direction.  The locals also cleared the way very quickly as they moved through the crowded street.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Do you mind my asking what cruise line you'll be on?

Posting about these sites made me want to look for a cruise that stops in Izmir!

It is not until next June but we like to start our research early.  Oceania 14 days Istanbul to Rome:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/middle-east-cruises/istanbul-to-rome-VIS230611/.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I spent a few hours in the Taksim Square side of the water on a previous trip where we had an overnight in Istanbul.  I think cruisemom42 has given good suggestions.  I went to the top of the Galata Tower and it offers nice views of Golden Horn waterways and overlooking city.  There is a funicular that you can ride from the Taksim area to the Galata area.  I was coming from the other direction that you will be so I rode the funicular up and walked back down the hill to my ship.  But you could go the other direction to get to Galata.  There's an interesting historical statue in the center of Taksim.  There was also an outdoor exhibit of some sort off to the side of the square when I was there, so maybe you'll experience something similar.  Other than that, it's mostly just shopping and eating and businesses around the Square itself.  I enjoyed the walk between Taksim and Galata.  Lots of things to look at, but nothing remarkably historic that I found, as this is the more modern part of the city.

While exploring the Galata area on foot, I was somewhat startled to see a collection of about 40 well-armed, riot gear type police marching down a street headed somewhere.  I decided I didn't need to follow them to see what was going on.  So I kept going the other direction.  The locals also cleared the way very quickly as they moved through the crowded street.

Thank you MeHeartCruising for your suggestions. Not good to see riot police and it is always our motto to be alert to avoid potential problems or dangers as one can easily let their guard down when touring.