Confused about the "what if" scenario..

Camelia-

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can clarify..my sister and her friend will be on a Canada/New England cruise this summer. The cruise ends in Quebec City and they will be taking the train back home to Ottawa.

My question is: If one of them tests positive near the end of their cruise would Princess cover their hotel stay for five nights as is the case now..even if they are not flying home?  I know that the current Princess policy is that they will cover 5 days of hotel quarantine stay once you are off the ship and by then hopefully people will test negative so that they can fly back home. I'm not sure what would happen to anyone who is not flying back but still needs to quarantine. Their plan is to take a train to Montreal and stay a couple of days but if they have to quarantine that would change things...would Princess still be responsible?

Thanks for any thoughts (or experiences) that you might have..

Camelia

1 hour ago, Camelia- said:

My question is: If one of them tests positive near the end of their cruise would Princess cover their hotel stay for five nights as is the case now..even if they are not flying home?  I know that the current Princess policy is that they will cover 5 days of hotel quarantine stay once you are off the ship and by then hopefully people will test negative so that they can fly back home. I'm not sure what would happen to anyone who is not flying back but still needs to quarantine.

I do not know the answer or have any first-hand experience, but I think there is a chance they may be covered.  Here are a few thoughts.

1) I'm not sure where you see the "5 days" of hotel, but the current "cruise with confidence plan" (https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/) seems to say they will cover "shoreside meals" and " COVID-related medical care".  It also talks about hotel reimbursement, but "reimbursement of eligible expenses" is in the sentence about being denied boarding.  It leaves out the reimbursement part "If isolation is required at the end port of the cruise".

Shoreside

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change.
  • Any shoreside meals will be covered by a per-diem meal allowance as communicated by a letter provided onboard prior to disembarkation. (no receipt retention is required).
  • A letter will be provided at the pier or by our shipboard team prior to disembarkation. If isolation is required at the end port of the cruise, the ship Guest Services team will provide guests a list of hotels and internet access so impacted guests can make their own hotel arrangements. If denied boarding, shoreside staff will provide the list to guests for them to make their own hotel arrangements, instructions for requesting reimbursement of eligible expenses and contact information for assistance with onward flight arrangements.

2) You might want to repost this on the Princess board, because this is really a Princess question, not insurance.  I assume you are asking about the current Princess COVID policy, not their Princess Vacation Protection (insurance) plan. If you get multiple responses with the same answer from people in this situation, I would feel pretty good about it.  

3) You could call Princess and ask.  If you get a positive answer, try to get them to put it in writing.  You may have to make multiple calls to different agents.  This could take some time, but if you don't have it in writing, you have nothing.

thanks very much for your response! I think the five days were mentioned by those who had had to quarantine on past cruises and were reporting back but I don't know if it was accurate or not..I will definitely follow up with Princess and see if they can give a definitive answer..and keep fingers crossed that things don't change!!