Sailing from Cape Liberty, Staying at EWR Springhill Suites

Ky Bill

We will be flying into EWR the evening before our cruise on AOS on August 18th, 2022.  I had Marriott points so decided to stay at the Springhill Suites at EWR.  Just wondering if anyone else had stayed there and had comments good or bad.  Also any comments regarding their shuttle service.

Thank You;

Bill

On 6/1/2022 at 3:19 PM, Ky Bill said:

We will be flying into EWR the evening before our cruise on AOS on August 18th, 2022.  I had Marriott points so decided to stay at the Springhill Suites at EWR.  Just wondering if anyone else had stayed there and had comments good or bad.  Also any comments regarding their shuttle service.

Thank You;

Bill

We just booked the same hotel. Bear in mind, there is no shuttle service to the cruise terminal. We were at the same hotel 4 years ago, we got an Uber to the terminal with no problems. Can't recall the cost though. It was a little bit trouble back then though getting back and at the terminal there is usually a lot of huffing and fussing from the cabbies against Uber (the union thing). Have fun cruising!

3 hours ago, johnjen said:

We just booked the same hotel. Bear in mind, there is no shuttle service to the cruise terminal. We were at the same hotel 4 years ago, we got an Uber to the terminal with no problems. Can't recall the cost though. It was a little bit trouble back then though getting back and at the terminal there is usually a lot of huffing and fussing from the cabbies against Uber (the union thing). Have fun cruising!

We were planning on using Uber to get from the hotel.  We're doing the Manhattan post cruise tour which will get us off the ship and the tour drops us at the airport.  

• Like 1

It's an acceptable hotel but there is =NOTHING= around to eat, except the Bistro at the Courtyard.  It was the last hotel (Marriott flavor) to reopen after being closed for a long time during the pandemic. You can order delivery but pickings are kinda slim.

I stayed there once and really didn't like it  and I am a Marriott snob.  I thought it was dirty and the staff was not pleasant.  I much prefer the Courtyard (either of them actually-the one in Elizabeth, south of EWR or the one adjacent to the SHS) or the Residence Inn Elizabeth.  I'm also not a fan of the Fairfield Inn either.

The Courtyards both have a lot of flight crews so, IMO they tend to be a little quieter though YMMV based on day of the week.

The Courtyard and Residence Inn EWR/Elizabeth at least have the option of the outlet mall across the street, as well as a mediocre iHop and a mediocre Ruby Tuesday.

I stayed at the full service Marriott and it was just ok.  The restaurant/bar was a nightmare-both staffing, food quality and cleanliness (same for the 'concierge' lounge which is a section of the restaurant.  They did comp my meal and remade it for me.  Also, there's a Renaissance that was decent.  Haven't stayed there in a while.  Was due to stay a couple weeks ago after my flight home from Rome but due to a bird strike, and a missed connection, I was rebooked to JFK

HTH

Edited by megr1125
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, megr1125 said:

and a mediocre Ruby Tuesday.

Is it ever.  

BTW, the Embassy Suites in that same complex is very nice. Unlike most Embassy Suites, the rooms don’t look out on an atrium. We’d be fine staying there again if we were sailing out of Bayonne.  Prior to the pandemic, they had a shuttle to the cruise terminal (for a fee); I have no idea whether that’s still the case.