Booking Only 1 Cabin for Family of 4 - Is this a mistake?

50 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

Gotta love Royal. Do everything possible to make you unhappy. They better be watching themselves if they want to continue to prosper. Seems that their customer service is starting to "royally" suck.

What does your rant have to do with the OPs question 

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

What does your rant have to do with the OPs question 

If you read further on I would hope that you could figure that out.🤪 It's not a rant, it's stating facts from reading the boards here and on FB. Their customer service has sucked recently IF you can even get through.

Sorry that you weren't able to change.  But just a word of encouragement, we are just back from a family holiday with the 4 of us in a balcony.  We are 2 adults and a 14 and 11 year old.  In saying that both children are "fully grown" but are at that "constant bickering" stage.  

We managed perfectly well.  We just naturally stagger bathroom times as dad gets up early for a coffee and cigarette, then me and finally the kids.  

Like others have said, we tend to just use the room to sleep in.  Was wondering if we had got to a stage where we would need a second room - but no, we're still fine with a 4 room cabin. 

On 6/3/2022 at 4:20 PM, Abby323 said:

I am fairly new to cruising.  It's been over 6 years since our last cruise so our children were younger and getting more than 1 cabin was not even an option for us back then.  So when I booked a cruise on the Symphony for this summer I didn't even think about booking 2 cabins now that my boys are 12 and 19.  I booked a GTY balcony.  Mistake number 1 was I thought it would be ocean view.  It will likely be a neighborhood balcony which we are ok with now.  But after looking at the prices, I could get 2 GTY balconies for only $50 more.  1) I am not sure I could even change my reservation without a fee of some sort. I did book in February so have the CWC so I think I can with no problem for the same sailing 2) If I could make the changes without a huge fee, I worry that the rooms would be too far apart from each other.  I really don't want to pay the extra $$$$ to pick our own rooms.

So basically I am wondering, will I regret having my family (my husband and 12 & 19 year old sons) all in the same cabin together?  I'm thinking since I am the only one that takes longer than 10 minutes to get ready that we should be ok with just 1 bathroom for the most part.  It just seems like we may be in the minority of having 3 adults and 1 pre-teen in just 1 cabin together so I am really questioning getting the second cabin.  Will we all feel crammed and miserable?  Anyone else here cruised with 3-4 in a room with no small children?

we did it for one of our first cruises with son and daughter  - it was either do that or nothing - we enjoyed the cruise regardless of the cramped cabin - we just worked out timing of when and who got showered and dressed for dinner.  We were hardly in cabin anyway.

We are leaving in two weeks for our 10th cruise. This will be the 9th cruise that we have had 4 in the room. Our daughter and a friend have gone with us each time. We have managed just fine but I might add we have had a GS most of the time and OS once or twice and this one will be an OS and it will also be our daughter and SIL. I always get ready and sit on the balcony or go to the SL. 

Granted a suite is easier than a regular room but it's doable. 

Good luck and enjoy.

13 minutes ago, like2cruise99 said:

We are leaving in two weeks for our 10th cruise. This will be the 9th cruise that we have had 4 in the room. Our daughter and a friend have gone with us each time. We have managed just fine but I might add we have had a GS most of the time and OS once or twice and this one will be an OS and it will also be our daughter and SIL. I always get ready and sit on the balcony or go to the SL. 

Good luck and enjoy.

This is serving big "celebrities talking about how COVID is manageable from the multiacre estates and mansions" energy, although I admire your honesty lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, like2cruise99 said:

Good luck and enjoy.

We usually book a GS, but when we took our granddaughter for her 21st birthday, we booked an OS to have the extra room.  It was nice, but not really necessary, and there was still only one bathroom. 

Back When the same granddaughter was 11, we took her on the DCL Wonder in a suite.  It had two full bathrooms - one standard small-sized cruise ship bathroom and a huge "suite-sized" bathroom with a whirlpool tub and separate shower.  The bedroom was also separated from the living room by a solid door.  The living room had both a queen sized sofa bed, and a twin Murphy bed so the suite could sleep 5.  In terms of square footage, I don't think it was any larger than a RCCL OS.  DCL also uses "split" bathrooms even in their smallest cabins which is great for families.  Other cruise lines could take a cue from them.  In fact, we'd cruise DCL, but we don't need to pay extra for their kid-focused amenities anymore.