Riga - Royal Caribbean

The port is in an industrial area some distance from Riga's old city.  Although Royal had a shuttle, lines were long and there was a long wait to board the shuttle.  We enjoyed a walking tour excursion in the old city, so that's how we got into town.  The walking tour was leisurely, interesting, many photo ops, and great guide.

The industrial area near our ship was interesting - mostly coal and lumber - large area busy with cargo operations and ships.  We docked next to a large coal loading facility.

3 minutes ago, PNW Traveler said:

We enjoyed a walking tour excursion in the old city, so that's how we got into town.  The walking tour was leisurely, interesting, many photo ops, and great guide.

was that a RC tour or a 3rd party tour that picked you up from the port?

do you know if the RC shittle was free ?

Just now, adam7392 said:

was that a RC tour or a 3rd party tour that picked you up from the port?

do you know if the RC shittle was free ?

We did a RC tour.  I could not find a private tour that I liked for a walking tour.  I don't recall for certain if the shuttle was free.  This was a Baltic cruise where many ports were not close to downtown areas.  I do remember that if there was a charge for the shuttle, the cost was nominal.

Riga is a big city - population over 600,000.

It's especially annoying as RC have made this an overnight stop - we were looking forward to walking off the ship after dinner into Riga and get a drink in the old town.  Now it looks like that is not going to be feasible.  Disappointing that RC didn't consider that for an overnight stop (one replacing the splendour of St Petersburg) that it would be good to be able to take advantage of the overnight.

Completely agree 

overnight in industrial port not close to city mmm

Riga itself easy to tour on own and I rather do that than the royal options 

one day I do tour outside if Riga to see the two castles 

next day shuttle or taxi to Riga and tour self -annoying can’t just walk off like I thought 

We have a car reserved for the first day in Riga to explore the surrounding area.  Thankfully we changed the booking from the Cruise/Ferry Terminal to a location in the city.  

Now I'm curious as to where the (possible) RC shuttle busses will do pick-up/drop-off.

3 hours ago, adam7392 said:

It's especially annoying as RC have made this an overnight stop - we were looking forward to walking off the ship after dinner into Riga and get a drink in the old town.  Now it looks like that is not going to be feasible.  Disappointing that RC didn't consider that for an overnight stop (one replacing the splendour of St Petersburg) that it would be good to be able to take advantage of the overnight.

St Pete is an industrial port as well.  

Royal didn't want to drop St Pete. 

Scheduling a last minute overnight is likely a very complex issue

We don't overnight, but I plan on taking a taxi to town. Time is more precious than money

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

Can we please get some documentary proof, not a GPS dot?

According to cruisemapper

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/riga-port-53?tab=schedule&month=2022-08#schedule 

Voyager of the Seas docks at Port Riga.    This port, shared with the ferry to Stockholm, is very close the center of town.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/riga-port-53 

Does anyone have any contrary evidence, in writing, that Royal Caribbean ships dock anywhere else in Riga, Latvia?

That site shows Riga Passenger Port in the picture which is part of the Port of Riga.  The port starts from the estuary down to Riga.  It then lists all ships visiting Port of Riga though not specifically Riga Passenger Port

This site lists cruise ship movements in the Port of Riga and you'll see all Voyager vists are listed as KRS which is the KS port or Krievu Sala

https://rop.lv/sites/default/files/2022-06/Kruiza kugu saraksts_07.06_eng.pdf

About half way down this site you'll see a map showing the KS port in relation to the other ports and Riga

https://rop.lv/sites/default/files/2022-05/Riga – cruise destination_0.pdf

and this site shows all the various ports making up Riga port, KS is the 8th green dot from the bottom of the map on the left bank.  Click that to get a lovely high definition 360 degree view of the delights of KS port.  We'll have 2 days to take in the views of the magnificent warehouses, pipes, loading cranes and coal piles.  Those on higher decks with a pair of binoculars will be lucky enough to see Riga in the far distance.

https://rop.lv/en/map

49 minutes ago, lionheart said:

i have one shore excursion To castles

Is that the RC one to the two castles and caves ? Thinking of that ourselves now.  Originally planned to take train to Majori and have a beach day if weather good if not would have done the castles ourselves.  But given that 2-3 hours is now going to be lost queuing and on the bus getting to/from the ship/Riga we may now do the RC tour.

Adam and other fellow passengers,

Royal Caribbean would be happy for us to believe that we are their captives, stranded at the KS port, and that we have no choice but to book RC tours.  Our response should be just the opposite.  We should be boycotting RC tours to punish them for their poor customer service.

I have e-mailed 9 companies who offer private tours in Riga.  I have asked them if they meet passengers at the KS terminal and if they would be prepared to organize shuttle services for passengers.

I will report responses when I receive them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, adam7392 said:

Is that the RC one to the two castles and caves ? Thinking of that ourselves now.  Originally planned to take train to Majori and have a beach day if weather good if not would have done the castles ourselves.  But given that 2-3 hours is now going to be lost queuing and on the bus getting to/from the ship/Riga we may now do the RC tour.

Yes -looked cool 

Teutonic knight castles  day 1 

day 2 Riga on own have Rick Steve’s tour 

This report from a guy currently on Voyager, who was in Riga a couple days ago:

"...you can not walk it, I’m on Voyager now and was just in Latvia. They offer a free shuttle, takes about 20 mins depending on traffic and the traffic can get bad later on. Would recommend not waiting to take the very last shuttle, two people had to take a taxi because the shuttle couldn’t make it back in time for last pickup due to traffic."

(Source: Facebook, Royal Caribbean Information group)

• Like 1

Hiya! I'm a US expat living in Riga. I suspect the issue is that the Daugava isn't deep enough at the bridge for bigger ships to get in to the closer terminal. It's a pretty silty, brackish river. We do get some of the smaller MSC ships that close in, but even then it's a bit tough. 

You can always do the cruise line shuttle, but both public transport (https://www.rigassatiksme.lv/, which is available in English) and cabs are safe and easy throughout Riga. You'll want to download the Bolt taxi app before you leave, but just drop a pin where you are and they will come and pick you up. You can pay with credit card through the app, or cash to the driver.

Do watch the traffic, though! There are only two main bridges in Riga, so traffic during rush hour can get VERY backed up. 

• Like 2

Riga - Royal

SO far it has been confirmed with certainty that Voyager docks an industrial port 12 km (30-40 mim away on the other side of river)

1. With only 2 rivers, traffic can get backed up

2. Local transport (Bolt taxi?) is good (but require yet another app on the phone)

3. RC shuttle if offered can have long lines.

Questions

1) Are there RC shuttles this summer? How much they cost?

2) Bolt taxi can be used to return from city to ship but are they allowed to enter port area to pick you up? (@SimplyMarvie)

I have written to Bolt Taxi to ask many of the same questions posed by Hal2008.  I have received an automated response from Bolt informing me that my question has been received and will be answered within 24 hours.  I will share any information when I receive it.

We have information that there is a free shuttle, that is scheduled to run every 30 minutes.  However, it has long lines and it is frequently delayed by traffic.  We do not know if the shuttle is managed by the municipality, by the Port Authority or by Royal Caribbean.  

The City of Riga Tourist Center refuses to answer any questions other than to say that the free shuttle delivers passengers to the Riga Palace, near the intersection of the streets called "11-Novembra Krastmala" and "Polu Gate" which is located on the embankment (river) side of Riga Palace.  Beyond that information, all questions were referred to Royal Caribbean.

I have written to the Latvian national tourist office pleading with them to provide more assistance than the City of Riga has offered.  It is too soon to have received a result.

I have written multiple times to the Port Authority which manages the KS Terminal.  They have not replied to any emails.

18 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

I have written to Bolt Taxi to ask many of the same questions posed by Hal2008.  I have received an automated response from Bolt informing me that my question has been received and will be answered within 24 hours.  I will share any information when I receive it.

We have information that there is a free shuttle, that is scheduled to run every 30 minutes.  However, it has long lines and it is frequently delayed by traffic.  We do not know if the shuttle is managed by the municipality, by the Port Authority or by Royal Caribbean.  

The City of Riga Tourist Center refuses to answer any questions other than to say that the free shuttle delivers passengers to the Riga Palace, near the intersection of the streets called "11-Novembra Krastmala" and "Polu Gate" which is located on the embankment (river) side of Riga Palace.  Beyond that information, all questions were referred to Royal Caribbean.

I have written to the Latvian national tourist office pleading with them to provide more assistance than the City of Riga has offered.  It is too soon to have received a result.

I have written multiple times to the Port Authority which manages the KS Terminal.  They have not replied to any emails.

So choice is royal shuttle, local taxi …both will be busy using the same route. I do the the royal shuttle 

royal shuttle every 30 minutes? Any idea where the shuttle drops off in Riga?

As I stated in post #21:

According to the city tourist office, the free shuttle delivers passengers to the Riga Palace, near the intersection of the streets called "11-Novembra Krastmala" and "Polu Gate" which is located on the embankment (river) side of Riga Palace. 

• Like 1

The Riga palace is called "Riga Pils" in Latvian, and the shuttles drop off very close to the Riga Anglican Church by the river, which you should be able to find on maps. 11 Novembra Krastmala is the big street that runs right next to the river on the Old City side. You'll be right close to the old city, walking in. It's not a bad place to be dropped off, tbh. 

Not sure re: getting into the Port to pick people up, but I would expect this is possible. I can see if I can stop by and check, but it likely wouldn't be until the weekend.

• Like 2