Removal of promotion (Elevate and $300 credit)

Andy106

First-time cruiser - Equinox on August 21st. 

I booked an Ocean View room by phone directly with Celebrity in April when there was a the promotion of the free Elevate package and $300 credit (fully paid in May).

I decided I wanted to upgrade to a balcony as a treat to myself. I went to my online reservation and used the change my room and chose a balcony room and paid the difference. The next thing I see is that my credit and elevate package is removed from my reservation. I called the reservation line and the customer service line and they both told me that I lose my promotions with an upgrade. I could either revert back to the ocean view and get the credits back or keep the balcony and lose the credits. I find this so very hard to believe because I don't understand why I would lose my promotions when upgrading (which you don't lose if you do the move-up bidding). They said that I only quality for the current promotion (which isn't beneficial to me). Why would I be penalized for upgrading from an ocean view to balcony? Is this normal? 

What it comes down to is that a move like that may be an upgrade to you, but since it wasn't a "bid upgrade", it becomes just a reservation change to them and therefor the repricing is contingent on using the current price offerings for the new cabin.

3 hours ago, Andy106 said:

First-time cruiser - Equinox on August 21st. 

I booked an Ocean View room by phone directly with Celebrity in April when there was a the promotion of the free Elevate package and $300 credit (fully paid in May).

I decided I wanted to upgrade to a balcony as a treat to myself. I went to my online reservation and used the change my room and chose a balcony room and paid the difference. The next thing I see is that my credit and elevate package is removed from my reservation. I called the reservation line and the customer service line and they both told me that I lose my promotions with an upgrade. I could either revert back to the ocean view and get the credits back or keep the balcony and lose the credits. I find this so very hard to believe because I don't understand why I would lose my promotions when upgrading (which you don't lose if you do the move-up bidding). They said that I only quality for the current promotion (which isn't beneficial to me). Why would I be penalized for upgrading from an ocean view to balcony? Is this normal? 

Go back to Oceanview room and then bid on an upgrade when the time comes. You will keep the Elevate and OBC.

• Like 3

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Andy.  Sorry your first post has to involve a disappointment.  I think the advice given by neverlaysup is good.  I hope you resolve this to your satisfaction and that you enjoy your first cruise (with a balcony) so much, you book another one on board.

• Like 1

Similar just happened to me today with the "Perks Extra" package on a group cruise that departs in 2 weeks. The Group manager did "something" (Celebrity won't tell me) that was a modification to our booking, and the Perks Extra package was removed as a result. We received an email that we owe $850 by Monday. Group booking customer service told me not to pay it, and that the Group manager is working things out (apparently there were multiple complaints) and that we won't lose our shore excursions paid with onboard credit from the Perks Extra package...but sure does make me nervous when things get messed up and are outside my control/they won't even explain what happened!

6 minutes ago, PAGA said:

Similar just happened to me today with the "Perks Extra" package on a group cruise that departs in 2 weeks. The Group manager did "something" (Celebrity won't tell me) that was a modification to our booking, and the Perks Extra package was removed as a result. We received an email that we owe $850 by Monday. Group booking customer service told me not to pay it, and that the Group manager is working things out (apparently there were multiple complaints) and that we won't lose our shore excursions paid with onboard credit from the Perks Extra package...but sure does make me nervous when things get messed up and are outside my control/they won't even explain what happened!

The good news is that Celebrity is working things out, as they should; once onboard things are usually smooth sailing...I hope you and Andy106 have a great cruises!

Edited by Lastdance