LIVE Disembarkation Day VISTA June 4-11, 2022

CarolSW

June 11, 2022, 6 AM LOCAL GALVESTON TIME (CST)

HELLO from Carnival Vista’s June 4-11, 2022 journey!

Thought I would at least try to give a play-by-play of the final day of our journey - disembarkation day.

I so admire those CCers who are able to take the time and effort to do LIVE reviews of the entire trip.

THANK YOU to them - they are dedicated for sure, and I know countless members greatly appreciate those, and I am one of them.

I have not ever had the kind of shipboard internet connection, in spite of always buying the premium plan, that I have enough confidence in to attempt a full live review, nor the writing skills, so this is the best I can do.

I hope it is helpful.

Saturday June 11

I woke up at 5:50 am, and peeked out of my balcony window on Deck 6, 1 cabin away from the Havana section, which it is blocked off by a door.

Best as I can tell we are NOT yet in the channel leading to the pier in Galveston yet.

Arrival time was posted as 6:00 am, but it is not to be.

We made ALL 3 of our ports in the published order, - Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel - and on time.

There was no indication nor mention of any propulsion problems.

All seemed right on schedule, except for sailaway, which was maybe 30-45 minutes late, but I think that was because we were waiting for those final few to report to muster.

6:30 am this morning we headed up to Lido for breakfast at 6:30, and it was nice because there were no crowds at that time.

While up there we watched as we passed by the East Beach of Galveston and into the channel leading to the piers.

Not soon after, we slowed down, and we turned around to head aft first the rest of the way to our berth.

That is a long process because it goes very slowly backwards inching to the pier.

The Dream apparently came in ahead of us.

It is docked at the first pier so I think she has to come in first.

Finally got into place at our dock about 7:55 am, nearly 2 hours past the published time, but it is the REALISTIC time.

7:40 am, after clearing out of our cabin, we headed to the Deck 3 Refections DR where Priority Diamond & Platinum guests can wait.

They are telling all other guests to stay OFF Deck 3 & 4.

We had no trouble maneuvering our way to that floor heading down the hall on 6, using the fore elevators to 3. We had to show our Platinum cards to walk around the lobby bar to Reflections DR. There were non-priority guests lining the overlooks on Deck 4 & 5, waiting for their turn.

Once there we were inside Reflections, they directed to one side or the other depending on status. I didn’t pay enough attention and just took the first place we could manage with the carryons we had. We settled in, and it was then that we realized we were in Diamond section by mistake. Now I am a wannabe for many things, including Diamond status, but I don’t like to appear that way, nor do I want to break any rules (Catholic school ingrained), so we gathered out things and slunk over to the other side of Reflections, a mere 5 yards away.

We had checked 2 bags last night, which left us with one rolling suitcase, 2 backpacks, 2 canvas totes and a computer case. YES we take too much. Part of that is that we pack our own sheets. I just like mine best. We live 1 hour from Galveston so not a problem getting our stuff to the port. I also overpack on my wiring for my electronics, but there are limited connections in the cabin, and you have to make sure you have what you need when you need them.

8:22 am - they just now called for the first group - DIAMOND with no checked luggage.

8:29 am - just called PLATINUM with no checked bags

9:00 am - just called DIAMOND & PLATINUM checked bags - HERE WE GO!

Passport check was immediately at the bottom of the zigzag gangways inside the Terminal. However, YOU DO NOT NEED TO TAKE OUT YOUR PASSPORTS anymore. It is all done via facial recognition. You take off your hat, your mask if wearing one (we were one of the few that were, and that was true the entire trip), look at the handheld screen of the agent, and in seconds you are clear to go. THEN you get your bags from the #ed zone. You are free to exit at that point. If you want a porter, they are there. We did not as we could manage what we had and get ourselves to the area where the Port of Galveston parking shuttles pick up, which is to the RIGHT outside the Terminal exit door. We waited in a line at the shuttle pickup for the bus to Port Parking Lot B. Passengers already standing in line directed us to the back of the line as it snakes around. We were on the 5th shuttle that we saw come up after we got to that area. We rode to the lot, found our car, loaded up and headed out.

From the time we were called in Reflections at 9 to the time we got into our car in Port Parking lot B was 45 minutes total.

The most challenging part of this process was getting out of Port Parking B. It is NOT clearly marked, and besides vague directions to head to the corner, we couldn’t find it. We ended up in the shuttle lane and had to get out of that. We drove aimlessly looking for exit signs, and one that we did find, was blocked off. Finally we chose to follow another car that seemed to be leaving, and they were lost too. They stopped to ask one of the entrance attendants for directions to the exit, and he ended up moving parking cones to let several us nomads get by to the very poorly marked - as in not at all - and half open gate where another attendant was standing to collect our parking ticket that we had on our dashboard. Not sure what would have happened if we hadn’t kept that.

Our favorite parking is the the Port parking garage that is right across the street from the pier. For embarkation we drop off our bags with a porter, then drop off our car in the garage, and finally walk across the street to the terminal to board. For disembarkation, we just roll our stuff ourselves back to the garage. However, when we I tried to reserve the Port Garage 5 days before this cruise, it was sold out for this one, so we had to do Lot B. I ALWAYS reserve parking before we go. Can’t imagine going to Galveston without knowing I have a parking spot waiting for me, but I guess some do drive-up day of the cruise parking. Now I know I have to reserve that garage way ahead. I already have my reservation there for our upcoming July AND NYE cruises this year. Parking there is at least 20 minutes faster, maybe more, to get on the road IMHO.

10:55 Home again home again jigging jig!

It’s so great to live so close to the port.

It was a great cruise, great weather, great crew, great people!

We’re going to do it again next month! 😊

Edited by CarolSW
Trying to re-format for better look.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...