Carnival helps autistic boy unable to fly get back to USA

Barry ATL

This is a great story.  It also is a reminder that cruise ships can be transportation.

I do have a question.  The Passenger Vessel Services Act normally restrict someone getting onboard in another country when the cruise is closed loop?  If so, can the cruise line get exemptions for situations like the one in this article?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/12/us/autistic-child-family-stranded-aruba/index.html

• Like 1

This passenger embarked in Aruba and debarked in the US. This is a legal itinerary under the PVSA.

Bahamas Paradise/Margaritaville at Sea does the same thing - most onboard are doing a roundtrip from Florida to the Bahamas and back, but it is possible to book a one-way voyage, get off in Freeport, and come back on a different sailing.

31 minutes ago, tidecat said:

This passenger embarked in Aruba and debarked in the US. This is a legal itinerary under the PVSA.

Bahamas Paradise/Margaritaville at Sea does the same thing - most onboard are doing a roundtrip from Florida to the Bahamas and back, but it is possible to book a one-way voyage, get off in Freeport, and come back on a different sailing.

If I am not mistaken, Margaritaville does not operate as a closed loop cruise.  I think there are stricter requirements for closed loop cruises.  I could be wrong.  Hopefully, one of our resident legal experts can jump in.  I am just curious.

I again say, Carnival did a great thing.