Venice transport

ultrarunner

Sailing from Ravenna next month on the Quest. Everything organized except transport from Venice airport to our hotel near San Marco. any suggestions?  I'm not walking too well these days if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

10 hours ago, ultrarunner said:

Sailing from Ravenna next month on the Quest. Everything organized except transport from Venice airport to our hotel near San Marco. any suggestions?  I'm not walking too well these days if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are a few options.  If your goal is to make the transfer as easy as possible you should hire a private water taxi at the airport.  Your hotel is likely to have its own dock, and if so, the water taxi will take you from the airport to your hotel.  It will cost you around 120 Euros but many would say it is money well spent.   

The lower cost ways will all involve some hassles with luggage.  You can take the Alilaguna (Blue Line) from the airport dock to the St Marco stop.  From that stop you are on your own to get to your hotel.  Sometimes it is possible to find men who will haul your luggage, but this is iffy and those guys do not work cheap.   

The final choice is a bit more complicated.  You go outside the airport terminal and cross to the wide median strip where there is a bus stop.  You would take the ATVO Express bus which goes directly to the Piazale Roma.  You can buy a ticket for that bus inside the terminal at a Kiosk near the exit or there are ticket machines at the bus stop (which may or may not work).  Once at the P. Roma you would walk across the plaza to the Vaporetto docks (I think there is an "ACTV" sign) from where you can catch the #1 or #2 Vaporetto to the St Marks area.  The dock you use (near St Marks) depends on which one is closest to your hotel.  Just be aware that dragging luggage on vaporettos is work and you may be charged an extra fee if you have more than 1 piece per person.    

Enjoy.  Venice can be a hassle in terms of transportation, but it is a wonderful place to visit.

Hank

• Like 1

I agree with everything Hank says above. We just returned from the Quest. We are fit 60 somethings, barring a couple of arthritic knees and we stay as near to Piazzale Roma as possible. We get a taxi or use Welcome Pickups. The walk over bridges is difficult with heavy luggage. Can I make a radical suggestion that you change your hotel if a water taxi is out of the question?