Bus to Mambo Beach?

OT-Miami

On 10/7/2022 at 5:40 PM, mcmarya said:

OK, I'm as cheap as the above poster.  We have taken the bus in Curacao a couple of times but before the pandemic.  Back then, we paid the fare in USD which was $1 each.  Looks like the fare is 2 local currency so more than $1 now.  They've gone to a card system but it looks like cash is still OK.  The route that goes to Mambo looks like 6A.  It's a pretty easy walk to the bus station.  There are also vans that are unofficial buses.  Those are probably $2 one way and you would have to ask where they go.  The official buses on 6A run every 1 hour 15 minutes.

Yes, you can still use cash for the bus fare

I've been doing research on getting around Curacao for our trip in December. My husband and I have no problem shelling out for either NCL or BJ's excursions just for the peace of mind of not having to arrange transportation. But when we're going on our own, we tend to be frugal. I'm finding the taxi prices a little hard to swallow. I've seen several comments that the local bus system is not very reliable and service is infrequent outside of Willemstad. Does anyone have any recent experience with their bus system? 

On 10/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, MaggieNY said:

. Does anyone have any recent experience with their bus system? 

Ha! I think I answered you in Aruba also.  On the same January 2022 cruise we used the bus system in Curacao.  If you don't mind some walking, the bus is a great way to get around.  We have used the vans several times, and have had great experiences.  We go to a dive shop near one of the popular beaches.  We secure our things at the shop for a small fee, and use the public entrance to the beach, which is across the street from the shop.  From here we snorkel, then change at the dive shop when finished and get a van for the return trip.  Post #2 on this thread goes into more detail.

Edited by topspot

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'm the type of person who likes to do a gazillion hours of research beforehand, so all I have to do is walk off the ship and head exactly where I need to go. No messing around losing time trying to figure out where to go and what to do. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the public bus website:

https://autobusbedrijf.com/en/route-information/route-hours-and-map

The Otrabanda routes are to the northwest of town and leave from a station on the same side of the bridge as your ship will be docked.  Punda routes leave from a station across the bridge--try Google maps for the location.

From what I can see, none of the routes go to Blue Bay.  There are also unofficial "buses" which may have slightly different routes.  I know some leave from the Punda station, not sure about Otrabanda.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We took the bus. It was actually a good walk, got to shop a bit on the way back and felt very safe. There were 4 of us and I just couldn't swallow the cost of a cab. Would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind the walk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, topspot said:

If you don't mind some walking, the bus is a great way to get around.  We have used the vans several times, and have had great experiences.  We go to a dive shop near one of the popular beaches.  We secure our things at the shop for a small fee, and use the public entrance to the beach, which is across the street from the shop.  From here we snorkel, then change at the dive shop when finished and get a van for the return trip.  Post #2 on this thread goes into more detail.

@topspot, if you don't mind me asking, what dive shop do you use?  This exact thing is my favorite thing to do in Cayman and I would love to be able to replicate it in Curacao...that is, easy transport to a dive shop, secure belongings, enjoy some great snorkeling, change clothes, head on our way!  How is the snorkeling in this area?  We would like something we can access via the bus, if possible. thank you!

Edited by Hydro ergo

38 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

@topspot, if you don't mind me asking, what dive shop do you use?  

The Dive Bus.  Here is a link to their dive shop.  I email them to see if they have room for us.  (They always do)  They used to list a snorkel package on their website, which is what I described in the post above (#28).  Just tell them you read about their snorkel package.  They rent equipment if needed.   if you go back a few pages to post #2 I have links that show where the bus stop is located. 

https://www.thedivebus.com/

Here is a link to the actual beach where we snorkel.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marie+Pampoen+Beach/@12.0916319,-68.9088812,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x8e848277fc3ecd01

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, topspot said:

The Dive Bus.  Here is a link to their dive shop.  I email them to see if they have room for us.  (They always do)  They used to list a snorkel package on their website, which is what I described in the post above (#28).  Just tell them you read about their snorkel package.  They rent equipment if needed.   if you go back a few pages to post #2 I have links that show where the bus stop is located. 

https://www.thedivebus.com/

Here is a link to the actual beach where we snorkel.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marie+Pampoen+Beach/@12.0916319,-68.9088812,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x8e848277fc3ecd01

this is great, thank you so much!!

It sounds like the vans are the way to go, but maybe not the most reliable? By that I mean, one may or may not be available to take you where you are headed?  We're in port from 8-5 as well as another ship from 8-6.  I'm hoping that people will be wanting to get out and about...and maybe head out to Mambo beach as you mentioned.  When you took the van, did they drop you off at the dive shop, or did you go all the way to Mambo beach and walk back? How did you get back into town?

Thank you again for your help. It's so much easier when you can talk to someone that's done it before...and I vastly prefer to have a plan ahead of time and just be able to execute it, not lose valuable time searching around port for solutions. 

12 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

this is great, thank you so much!!

It sounds like the vans are the way to go, but maybe not the most reliable? By that I mean, one may or may not be available to take you where you are headed?  We're in port from 8-5 as well as another ship from 8-6.  I'm hoping that people will be wanting to get out and about...and maybe head out to Mambo beach as you mentioned.  When you took the van, did they drop you off at the dive shop, or did you go all the way to Mambo beach and walk back? How did you get back into town?

Thank you again for your help. It's so much easier when you can talk to someone that's done it before...and I vastly prefer to have a plan ahead of time and just be able to execute it, not lose valuable time searching around port for solutions. 

When you took the van, did they drop you off at the dive shop, or did you go all the way to Mambo beach and walk back? The first time we asked to go to Sunscape, which is just before Mambo, but just after where we wanted to go.   Now we tell them Sunscape, but we know exactly where the shop is and just ask them nicely to get out.

How did you get back into town?   We just go out to the road and wait for a van to go by.  It usually takes about 10 minutes.  The last time we went Dive Bus called a cab for us.  It was around 20.00 back to port.  We will be doing this when we go back, it cut out the walking in the afternoon heat.   When we snorkel, we either swim in a protected area in front of Sunscape, if the water isn't too rough, then we enter and swim around the break water to snorkel in the open ocean.  There are more corals outside the wall.  If you are inside in the calmer area, you can only get in and out of the water in one spot as you can't go onto Sunscape property.  They will show you a map of where to snorkel at the shop.

Edited by topspot
  • Thanks 1

@topspot Thank you so much!!! This is absolutely the kind of information I've been digging to find.  I did see on the Dive Bus site that cabs are $30 now.  I don't mind that one way, but I feel like $60 is a bit more than I'd like to pay...especially for such a short ride!  We'll look for the vans (unless it gets too hot!)

ok @topspot, one more question for you as you have been brilliantly helpful!  Did the busses/vans accept US dollars?  I see on the bus website that they request fares be paid in coins, but I can't imagine they would accept US coins...  I'm happy to "overpay" to round up to a reasonable US amount...looks like the bus fare would be about $1.50 per person US, but for two people, I would just give a $5 to make it easier.  What has your experience been with paying?  thanks again!

2 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

ok @topspot, one more question for you as you have been brilliantly helpful!  Did the busses/vans accept US dollars? 

Yes.  We usually give them a five and don't, take change.  Also I read you replies one said you'd look for a van, we walk to the bus station in Punda  which is labeled on one of the maps I linked.  They'll be parked waiting to fill up, but will have letters on the front window that say where they are going.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, topspot said:

Also I read you replies one said you'd look for a van, we walk to the bus station in Punda  which is labeled on one of the maps I linked.  They'll be parked waiting to fill up, but will have letters on the front window that say where they are going.

I had meant that we would look for the vans on the way back to Punda, just waiting on the main road outside the Dive Shop.  We had planned to just go to the Punda station and hope for the best on the way out there, so that sounds ideal--busses waiting in lines 🙂   thank you!

We took the bus in December and gave the driver $3 for two of us.  Route 6A (Caracasbaai) goes to Mambo Beach, Seaquarium Beach, Dive Bus, etc.  The 1B (Schottegat) goes most of the way there before turning if you miss the 6A.  The 6A runs about every hour to 1 1/2 hours, the 1B every 2 hours.  That's why the vans are helpful since they fill in the gaps.

Another place to snorkel that is sort of reachable by the 6A bus is the Tugboat.  That one requires more walking since it is necessary to walk about a mile from the bus to Tugboat Beach in addition to the walk to the bus station.  When other locations are wavy sometimes it is less so.