Queen Mary Obstructed View

Jailhousepete

Take a look at this view from 8052 which is directly opposite 8051 on the deck plans. The view from 8051 should be essentially a mirror image of this view. Cunard only supplies the views to the even numbered cabins with the proviso "Views from staterooms on the opposite side of the ship are similar".

8052_qm2

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, Jailhousepete said:

Thank you so much, but sadly the odd side is not a mirror image of the even side, so that is why I am asking has anybody been in 8051 for the view, but thanks once again for your interest

Interesting to learn that the views from some obstructed view cabins directly across from each other on QM2 are not mirror images of each other. I'd like to hear more about which cabins on the odd side have different views from the corresponding cabins on the even side.

The "cruisedeckplans" website is a good source for cabin photos. Unfortunately they don't have any photos of cabin 8051. I did check all 20 pairs of obstructed view cabins on QM2 where that site does have photos/videos showing the views from cabins across from each other. The views from those 20 pairs of cabins all appear to be mirror images of each other.

Hopefully someone on this forum can provide a photo of the view from 8051 so that we can find out for sure what the view looks like from that cabin.

• Like 2

I have views from the outside taken on 5th June 2022. The port side at 08:11 and starboard at 13:46.

There are very slight differences in both vertical and lateral angles as port was taken from the gangway to the Red Hook Ferry Pontoon and starboard from the upper deck of the Staten Island Ferry.

In my opinion, other than the position of small equipment below the zodiac the two sides appear identical. Importantly the separators between 8051/8049 and 8052/8050 seem to be in same place.

The view straight out and to aft in both will be substantially obscured but there should be a reasonable view forward over the zodiac

Port-Starboard compare.JPG

Edited by D&N
  • Like 3

Oh D & N thank you so much, yes I can quite see what you mean, my only hope is that we are either side of the small boat (which Is I imagine what you are calling the Zodiac) or even with that in front it is much lower than the large tenders.  We are a family of 3 and sadly queen Mary does not cater too kindly to us, it is either obstructed or sheltered which I find very claustrophobic- ok on the Atlantic crossing but we are doing part 2 of world cruise Sydney to Southampton and thought we might need some light and air.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 5:17 PM, Jailhousepete said:

...it is either obstructed or sheltered which I find very claustrophobic- ok on the Atlantic crossing but we are doing part 2 of world cruise Sydney to Southampton and thought we might need some light and air.

We, too, have booked the Sydney-Solon voyage but in a ‘sheltered’ which was, unfortunately, the only balcony available.

Agree that sheltered balconies are not, IMO, optimal...but...’needs must’.

Looking forward to the voyage all things being equal.

Cheers!

Hi there Vic, yes understand the cruise is very full, but then i suppose it is the first one since 2020 when we were cut short on QV South American World Voyage - using our credit to try again !!! - which I imagine a lot of cruises at that time are doing. Hopefully (fingers crossed) we have a good cruise.  Are you staying in Sydney pre cruise (we are going out 8/3) but not sure onHotels - we want to stay Rocks area - any ideas or recommendations.  

10 hours ago, Jailhousepete said:

…Are you staying in Sydney pre cruise (we are going out 8/3) but not sure onHotels - we want to stay Rocks area - any ideas or recommendations.  

We are booked on Celebrity B2Bs for Australia/New Zealand in February and March. May have to change those plans due to passport re-issuing challenges. Currently we have a coupla days between Celebrity and Cunard. Hopefully time to get Covid tested for the QM2. Last time, pre-pandemic, we stayed at the Sir Stamford which is a 5 minute stroll from Circular Quay. Not sure this time but would like to be near CQ for convenience to ferries etc.Still have Covid testing, passport etc challenges to work out. Hoping for the best. Cheers!

• 9 months later...
55 minutes ago, Bjeremym said:

Hi jailhousepete, I’m thinking about booking this cabin for a crossing and was wondering if you had taken any photos of the view?

Have you seen the "sticky" post with photos from each of the obstructed view cabins?

If I recall rightly 8013 will be mirror of 8014 etc...