Cruise port to train station in Livorno

Bluestar01

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I looked at a lot of info on this forum as well as online and Rick Steve’s guide and now got confused, so if anyone has done this journey please advice.

we are family of four, with us being in late 40s and teenage kids. Visiting Livorno in July & want to go to Pisa, climb the tower and then if time permits take train to Lucca and back to ship. Ship is in dock 9:30 am-8:30 pm so we are looking for relatively faster but yet affordable options.

in Rick Steves guide I read we will need to take port shuttle to Livorno town center (Piazza del Municipio) for 5 euro/pp, but then somewhere online I read it’s free shuttle…which is true??? & from town center need to take LAMBLU bus to Livorno train to station (Livorno Centrale) which is about 2 euro/pp before getting onto regional train to Pisa Centrale

I also read there are taxis from port to Livorno train station which are 25 Euros. Are these directly from port to train station? Or from Livorno town center to train station??

thanks so much.  

You can certainly try to get a taxi at the port to take you to the train station and that will likely cost about 20-25Euros.  The problem is that many taxis at the port are looking for a full day fare to places like Florence.  So we always suggest that you be among the first off the ship, head directly to the taxi queue, and start asking for a taxi to go to the "stazione."  There are usually a few drivers that will do those short hauls, and if not, some of the others are often helpful in calling for other taxis.

Upon your return to Livorno the problem is somewhat different.  The taxis at the station will generally have no problem taking fares to the port but there are often a shortage of taxis.  So the best strategy is to be among the first off the train and than quickly walk to the main station entrance/exit and outside to the taxi waiting area.  It is truly first come first serve.   The best protection is to always take a train that will get you back to Livorno at least an hour before you must be back to the port.  Those of us who routinely "do our own thing" have learned that there are times to be cautious with one's time...and this is one of those situations.

Hank

• Like 1

It looks like you are on NCL. NCL in past seasons has been the ONLY line to offer a shuttle that drops off directly at the train station. It isn't free but not sure what the cost is.  It may not be a savings over taking a taxi, with four people -- however, as Hank points out, getting a taxi isn't always a slam dunk.

The real benefit to you is the return to the ship. With a shuttle calling regularly at the train station, you have a fairly guaranteed way back to your ship. You don't need to depend on the taxis. (Although, as Hank said, when I've gotten off the train promptly and headed out to the street I've always been able to get one...)

Ask around on the NCL forum or read trip reports from NCL ships calling in Livorno. I'm guessing NCL probably does not advertise the shuttle in advance (they want to sell you expensive excursions), but it has been reported to run for the last several years (pre-COVID).

I'd try to avoid going to the center of town and doing the transfer to the bus and then the train station. It just takes that much more time out of an already short day.

• Like 1

IF you arrive back at the Livorno train station and there are not taxis (or a ship shuttle), there should be a bus alternative that partially helps.  When we arrived back at the station, we waited for about 15 minutes with no taxis and we could not get anyone to call one for us inside the station.  They were busy.  So I saw a city bus waiting outside the station and found that it would take us to Piazza Grande, which is a central city transportation hub of sorts.  I figured that was half way to the ship, so better than waiting at the station.  Upon arrival at P. Grande, I found that this was where the ship shuttles dropped people off who had arranged for transport into town.  We were able to hop on one of those back to our ship.  Even if that had not been the case, there were more taxis here and we could have hopped in one of those to the port.  Of course, we had to pay for the bus from the station to P. Grande, but it was of minimal cost.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1