A Journey to the Last Frontier: Serenade of the Seas Alaskan Itinerary Review

A. Colorful Commentary

It is not praise I have read, heard, or seen I regard to the culinary offerings of the cruise industry. 

Wisdom can be found in words of the infamous and fictional Anton Ego, who stated that “the work of a critic is easy” and the “average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than the criticism designating it so.” But in blunt contrast Churchill would chime in with “criticism may not be agreeable, it is necessary.”

Criticism play its part in correcting the woes in this world hopefully for the better and if we, the consumers of the world, do not speak up, the robber barons of the corporate world will continue to belittle us with sub-par products and services.

While my review of the food on our cruise may seem an insignificant blight upon the brand’s image, when compounded with the voices of the masses, together our shouts shall reverberate through the canyons of Wall Street and ultimately raised to such a pitch as to reach the heights of the board rooms of those we wish to change.

I modestly speak from a point of experience when I exclaim that I understand the austerity of their situation.  A galley cannot function properly without a full and proper staff. A chef cannot cook even the most basic of creations when the supply chain of ingredients has come to a halt.  A supply manager cannot purchase the needed good when inflation has doubled the price of their desired fare.  I have managed a budget to prepare dinners for dozens at a homeless shelter. I have also overseen large charity events where the ingredients must remain within budget, while still satisfying the tastes of 200 paying patrons.  Cooking for two hundred people is not easy, getting it right for 2400 – for seven days (52 weeks of the year) does seem like an insurmountable challenge. The Serenade is far from the largest ship in the fleet, one can only imagine the logistical nightmares of Lovecraftian proportions in ships almost thrice its size.

While I sit here comfortably on my couch, plugging away at the keyboard, I can effortlessly criticize our dining experiences.  It is easy, almost too easy. Therefore, I ask each of my readers to read carefully between the lines of my culinary review to know that I understand the difficulties of producing the food that is set upon the table or displayed about the buffet.

I shout out kudos to those that have not let us go hungry on our Alaskan journey.

Kudos to the Executive Chef on our ship, in addition to each of the members of the galleys from the Chef de Cuisine to the plongeur [garbage boy]. I know you are all doing your best, but in a review it is my job . . . my responsibility . . . my duty .  . to critique, and that, I shall perform to the best of my abilities.

Without further ado, a look at our lunches aboard the Serenade.  Keep note - my above pronouncement concurrently applies to our dinner selections which shall be discussed further in this review. But since dinner is served later, lunch is served . . . .

Lunch: MDR

The MDR is open for lunch when the ship is not in port.  Note that on the Royal App, they only listed this venue being open for lunch only on one day (it was modified on the App the day we sailed).

Instead of going through everything I ate, I will provide a list of the things I really enjoyed and those I thought were dreadful. 

It must be duly noted that a mere week and a half after the cruise the only dish I remember off the top of my head for lunch was the lobster rolls and only because it was more on the dreadful side than not. However, there are not many dishes that I can recall as being fantastic either. Like the multitude of unremarkable faces that I pass each day the subway, these lunch dishes have faded into the recesses of my memory. As you will see by the list, only two items made it into the memorably dreadful list.

For those of you that have not cruised lately and already fraught about the food on your upcoming sojourn, do not worry.  In my opinion, the food has comparably declined from past sailings, but it is by far abysmal where you will be unable to find a morsel to eat.

Worth Mentioning

-          Caesar Salad – although I could not have any myself, my DDs enjoyed it. It became her lunchtime go-to.

-          Royal Chicken Sandwich – the serving was much larger than I had anticipated (I ordered it on two separate occasions), and was surprisingly good (but not many things that are fried taste bad).

-          Apple Blossom A La Mode – My DDs and DW all enjoyed it. I did have a taste one night, and it was delightful.

Dreadful

-         Lobster Roll – although the lobster itself was decent (albeit I’ve tasted a lot better), the hard roll they put it on did not compliment the dish in any way, and even detracted from my enjoyment of it. I would probably also cut down on the amount of celery being used.  There was also an over-taste of salt, which is not needed with most seafood dishes.

-          Spaghetti Bolognese – According to my DDs, it was horrible (they both took one bite and did not eat any more). Because there was cheese I cannot provide further comment.

In similar fashion to my habits during breakfast (and dinner), I usually ordered more than one entrée or appetizer to try to ensure that I found something I enjoyed. Do not fear, I ate everything I ordered so food would not go to waste.

Sad to say, unlike some cruises of the past, most of the other dishes were okay (not great and not horrible) and easily forgettable. I guess the main point is that no one will go hungry.  Regardless of the food served, we enjoyed sitting leisurely in the MDR for lunch and away from the hustle and bustle of the Windjammer.

Lunch: Windjammer

My DD’s used to fight us about going to the MDR, they always wanted to go to the Windjammer for all of their meals. However, early on in this cruise they both decided (independently) that they really did not enjoy most of the food that was being served in the buffet. Yes, there are multiple items, and they are a little picky, but in all previous cruises they at least found one or two items they enjoyed and would go back to those each time. 

My older DD liked the Roti, but it did not make a meal and my younger DD did not even like that (thank goodness they had ice cream for her).  My DW also did not enjoy most items – she would have gone for the hot dogs for each lunch meal, but I agreed that they were not the best tasting and the rolls for them had little taste and its consistency akin to bread being recently thawed. [Have you noticed the recurring issue we have had with bread on this cruise?]

Me, the usually big buffet guy, had to concur.  I did shovel on some large heapings of food onto my plate, and would clean it off so nothing remained; but as far as buffets are concerned, I did not enjoy the one on this ship very much. Many of the foods just did not seem right, or possibly used lower quality ingredients. Multiple items were over-cooked (providing for a tougher/harder consistency for the dishes), or did not taste how you expected – too sour, sweater, saltier, etc.; or sometimes bordering on bland, lacking any real taste that would make your mouth say “wow.”  There were few really good dishes that I found, the highlight to me was the Paella, which was the only dish (besides some of the Indian dishes) that I would go back for seconds. And as to the Indian dishes, they were usually well seasoned, but prepared "American spicy," which meant that they lacked the heat to go with the traditional originality of the dishes.

Although there was some variety, on the few occasions we dined at the WJ, most of the options were identical during each visit (I have to wonder, is it due to supply chain issues or budgetary constraints).  I did try out the crepe station, which was not bad, although I had hoped for lunch that they would have not all been sweet. Sorry to say that my culinary experiences for breakfast and lunch were not stellar, but as I keep mentioning, I am giving RCI a break since staffing and supply chain issues have probably influenced the food.

Lunch: Sitka (Mean Queen)

It is always a treat to dine in a different cities throughout the world.  Although many times we may choose a restaurant that specializes in local fare, our family has a long tradition of eating pizza in the places we visits.  While I would have preferred a place serving fresh catch-of-the-day off the boats in the harbor, tradition is tradition, so I performed some research into the best pizza in Sitka.  There are not many results, and none are traditional pizzerias, but bars or other restaurants that served pizza as one of its dishes.  According to reviews and ratings on the net, Mean Queen was the obvious choice – especially since it was in the downtown area and would be passing within its vicinity.

I had already described our lunch during the prior post on Sitka, so no need to rehash my account of the meal and make this review any longer.😉

Lunch: Park Café

I did not dine at the Park Café for lunch, per se, but I did grab a snack from there a few times around lunch.  The main dish they had was a roast beef sandwich, which I discovered has a name, the Kummelweck Sandwich. [As I write this, there is an entire long thread on how people feel about this sandwich. One poster even mentioned naming their first born Kummeweck. I kid, of course, but it seems that some do really enjoy it.]

I had heard of this delicacy during past readings (and do not remember consuming it on previous RCI cruises, if it was even available), and finally got to try it. The first time I ordered it the meat was very, very tough, and even I found it hard to chew.  I did not like the hard roll it was served on either – too hard, and lacked taste. 

I said to myself that it may have been a bad day, so I tried again.  Although the meat was a bit (a lot) more tender, and was able to chew, the meat was okay, and did not taste very much seasoning (besides what I had added).  Once again, the roll was too hard and tasteless.  I did not care for the gravy (nothing wrong with it, just not my taste), and eventually globbed on additional mayo/horseradish to provide some taste to the this, this . . . . Kummelweck.

I had worked in a kitchen where we cooked roast beefs ourselves – I had served it in various dishes and have had sliced hundreds of roast beef sandwiches over the years, so I do believe I have some expertise on this subject. Based on my own likes, dislikes, and experience, in my opinion this was at most, an “edible” roast beef sandwich (henceforth this shall refer to it as the RBSATPC (Roast Beef Sandwich at the Parc Café), and I am sorry, and I fully understand that the following words may be fighting words, but I feel that the RBSATPC is not worthy of all the praise it has received.

Not to turn this subsection into a RBSATPC-only discussion, since there were other items served at Café Press, such as a salad station where you can choose your own toppings, and of course various desserts were offered. Coffee and juices could also be found a few steps away.

The Parc Café is a convenient venue to pick up a quick bite or two to eat, but obviously provides less options than the MDR or WJ, while providing for a much more relaxed area to munch upon some simple goodies – and not to mention, very close to the pool if you wanted to take a quick dip.

Although this review seems like it is coming to a completion (yes, we are more than half-way done), there are still plenty of topics to discuss, including:

·       Daytime Activities (Games, Trivia, Swimming, Sports, etc.)

·       Afternoon Relaxation

·       Teens and Young Adults

·       Dinner (and Formal Night)

·       Evening Entertainment and Performances

·       Our Day in Vancouver

·       Post Cruise Wrap-Up

Next Up . . . . Afternoon (and Daytime) Activities

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

A. Colorful Commentary

It is not praise I have read, heard, or seen I regard to the culinary offerings of the cruise industry. 

Wisdom can be found in words of the infamous and fictional Anton Ego, who stated that “the work of a critic is easy” and the “average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than the criticism designating it so.” But in blunt contrast Churchill would chime in with “criticism may not be agreeable, it is necessary.”

Criticism play its part in correcting the woes in this world hopefully for the better and if we, the consumers of the world, do not speak up, the robber barons of the corporate world will continue to belittle us with sub-par products and services.

While my review of the food on our cruise may seem an insignificant blight upon the brand’s image, when compounded with the voices of the masses, together our shouts shall reverberate through the canyons of Wall Street and ultimately raised to such a pitch as to reach the heights of the board rooms of those we wish to change.

I modestly speak from a point of experience when I exclaim that I understand the austerity of their situation.  A galley cannot function properly without a full and proper staff. A chef cannot cook even the most basic of creations when the supply chain of ingredients has come to a halt.  A supply manager cannot purchase the needed good when inflation has doubled the price of their desired fare.  I have managed a budget to prepare dinners for dozens at a homeless shelter. I have also overseen large charity events where the ingredients must remain within budget, while still satisfying the tastes of 200 paying patrons.  Cooking for two hundred people is not easy, getting it right for 2400 – for seven days (52 weeks of the year) does seem like an insurmountable challenge. The Serenade is far from the largest ship in the fleet, one can only imagine the logistical nightmares of Lovecraftian proportions in ships almost thrice its size.

While I sit here comfortably on my couch, plugging away at the keyboard, I can effortlessly criticize our dining experiences.  It is easy, almost too easy. Therefore, I ask each of my readers to read carefully between the lines of my culinary review to know that I understand the difficulties of producing the food that is set upon the table or displayed about the buffet.

I shout out kudos to those that have not let us go hungry on our Alaskan journey.

Kudos to the Executive Chef on our ship, in addition to each of the members of the galleys from the Chef de Cuisine to the plongeur [garbage boy]. I know you are all doing your best, but in a review it is my job . . . my responsibility . . . my duty .  . to critique, and that, I shall perform to the best of my abilities.

Without further ado, a look at our lunches aboard the Serenade.  Keep note - my above pronouncement concurrently applies to our dinner selections which shall be discussed further in this review. But since dinner is served later, lunch is served . . . .

Lunch: MDR

The MDR is open for lunch when the ship is not in port.  Note that on the Royal App, they only listed this venue being open for lunch only on one day (it was modified on the App the day we sailed).

Instead of going through everything I ate, I will provide a list of the things I really enjoyed and those I thought were dreadful. 

It must be duly noted that a mere week and a half after the cruise the only dish I remember off the top of my head for lunch was the lobster rolls and only because it was more on the dreadful side than not. However, there are not many dishes that I can recall as being fantastic either. Like the multitude of unremarkable faces that I pass each day the subway, these lunch dishes have faded into the recesses of my memory. As you will see by the list, only two items made it into the memorably dreadful list.

For those of you that have not cruised lately and already fraught about the food on your upcoming sojourn, do not worry.  In my opinion, the food has comparably declined from past sailings, but it is by far abysmal where you will be unable to find a morsel to eat.

Worth Mentioning

-          Caesar Salad – although I could not have any myself, my DDs enjoyed it. It became her lunchtime go-to.

-          Royal Chicken Sandwich – the serving was much larger than I had anticipated (I ordered it on two separate occasions), and was surprisingly good (but not many things that are fried taste bad).

-          Apple Blossom A La Mode – My DDs and DW all enjoyed it. I did have a taste one night, and it was delightful.

Dreadful

-         Lobster Roll – although the lobster itself was decent (albeit I’ve tasted a lot better), the hard roll they put it on did not compliment the dish in any way, and even detracted from my enjoyment of it. I would probably also cut down on the amount of celery being used.  There was also an over-taste of salt, which is not needed with most seafood dishes.

-          Spaghetti Bolognese – According to my DDs, it was horrible (they both took one bite and did not eat any more). Because there was cheese I cannot provide further comment.

In similar fashion to my habits during breakfast (and dinner), I usually ordered more than one entrée or appetizer to try to ensure that I found something I enjoyed. Do not fear, I ate everything I ordered so food would not go to waste.

Sad to say, unlike some cruises of the past, most of the other dishes were okay (not great and not horrible) and easily forgettable. I guess the main point is that no one will go hungry.  Regardless of the food served, we enjoyed sitting leisurely in the MDR for lunch and away from the hustle and bustle of the Windjammer.

Lunch: Windjammer

My DD’s used to fight us about going to the MDR, they always wanted to go to the Windjammer for all of their meals. However, early on in this cruise they both decided (independently) that they really did not enjoy most of the food that was being served in the buffet. Yes, there are multiple items, and they are a little picky, but in all previous cruises they at least found one or two items they enjoyed and would go back to those each time. 

My older DD liked the Roti, but it did not make a meal and my younger DD did not even like that (thank goodness they had ice cream for her).  My DW also did not enjoy most items – she would have gone for the hot dogs for each lunch meal, but I agreed that they were not the best tasting and the rolls for them had little taste and its consistency akin to bread being recently thawed. [Have you noticed the recurring issue we have had with bread on this cruise?]

Me, the usually big buffet guy, had to concur.  I did shovel on some large heapings of food onto my plate, and would clean it off so nothing remained; but as far as buffets are concerned, I did not enjoy the one on this ship very much. Many of the foods just did not seem right, or possibly used lower quality ingredients. Multiple items were over-cooked (providing for a tougher/harder consistency for the dishes), or did not taste how you expected – too sour, sweater, saltier, etc.; or sometimes bordering on bland, lacking any real taste that would make your mouth say “wow.”  There were few really good dishes that I found, the highlight to me was the Paella, which was the only dish (besides some of the Indian dishes) that I would go back for seconds. And as to the Indian dishes, they were usually well seasoned, but prepared "American spicy," which meant that they lacked the heat to go with the traditional originality of the dishes.

Although there was some variety, on the few occasions we dined at the WJ, most of the options were identical during each visit (I have to wonder, is it due to supply chain issues or budgetary constraints).  I did try out the crepe station, which was not bad, although I had hoped for lunch that they would have not all been sweet. Sorry to say that my culinary experiences for breakfast and lunch were not stellar, but as I keep mentioning, I am giving RCI a break since staffing and supply chain issues have probably influenced the food.

Lunch: Sitka (Mean Queen)

It is always a treat to dine in a different cities throughout the world.  Although many times we may choose a restaurant that specializes in local fare, our family has a long tradition of eating pizza in the places we visits.  While I would have preferred a place serving fresh catch-of-the-day off the boats in the harbor, tradition is tradition, so I performed some research into the best pizza in Sitka.  There are not many results, and none are traditional pizzerias, but bars or other restaurants that served pizza as one of its dishes.  According to reviews and ratings on the net, Mean Queen was the obvious choice – especially since it was in the downtown area and would be passing within its vicinity.

I had already described our lunch during the prior post on Sitka, so no need to rehash my account of the meal and make this review any longer.😉

Lunch: Park Café

I did not dine at the Park Café for lunch, per se, but I did grab a snack from there a few times around lunch.  The main dish they had was a roast beef sandwich, which I discovered has a name, the Kummelweck Sandwich. [As I write this, there is an entire long thread on how people feel about this sandwich. One poster even mentioned naming their first born Kummeweck. I kid, of course, but it seems that some do really enjoy it.]

I had heard of this delicacy during past readings (and do not remember consuming it on previous RCI cruises, if it was even available), and finally got to try it. The first time I ordered it the meat was very, very tough, and even I found it hard to chew.  I did not like the hard roll it was served on either – too hard, and lacked taste. 

I said to myself that it may have been a bad day, so I tried again.  Although the meat was a bit (a lot) more tender, and was able to chew, the meat was okay, and did not taste very much seasoning (besides what I had added).  Once again, the roll was too hard and tasteless.  I did not care for the gravy (nothing wrong with it, just not my taste), and eventually globbed on additional mayo/horseradish to provide some taste to the this, this . . . . Kummelweck.

I had worked in a kitchen where we cooked roast beefs ourselves – I had served it in various dishes and have had sliced hundreds of roast beef sandwiches over the years, so I do believe I have some expertise on this subject. Based on my own likes, dislikes, and experience, in my opinion this was at most, an “edible” roast beef sandwich (henceforth this shall refer to it as the RBSATPC (Roast Beef Sandwich at the Parc Café), and I am sorry, and I fully understand that the following words may be fighting words, but I feel that the RBSATPC is not worthy of all the praise it has received.

Not to turn this subsection into a RBSATPC-only discussion, since there were other items served at Café Press, such as a salad station where you can choose your own toppings, and of course various desserts were offered. Coffee and juices could also be found a few steps away.

The Parc Café is a convenient venue to pick up a quick bite or two to eat, but obviously provides less options than the MDR or WJ, while providing for a much more relaxed area to munch upon some simple goodies – and not to mention, very close to the pool if you wanted to take a quick dip.

Although this review seems like it is coming to a completion (yes, we are more than half-way done), there are still plenty of topics to discuss, including:

·       Daytime Activities (Games, Trivia, Swimming, Sports, etc.)

·       Afternoon Relaxation

·       Teens and Young Adults

·       Dinner (and Formal Night)

·       Evening Entertainment and Performances

·       Our Day in Vancouver

·       Post Cruise Wrap-Up

Next Up . . . . Afternoon (and Daytime) Activities

"Although this review seems like it is coming to a completion (yes, we are more than half-way done), there are still plenty of topics to discuss, including:" ...and we hope - Cruise Compasses?👌

5 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

"Although this review seems like it is coming to a completion (yes, we are more than half-way done), there are still plenty of topics to discuss, including:" ...and we hope - Cruise Compasses?👌

@watcher_62 If I can finish up work early enough this evening and get in my bike ride and dinner, I will scan the lot of dailies this evening and post them along with the next installation of my ramblings on the morrow.

A few lunch photos from my phone to whet your appetite till I can post more.  Here we have a sampling of food from the MDR, Windjammer, and the infamous Kunmelweck, but here are the dishes in order . . . .

• Another heaping of food on my plate from the buffet
  • Taco of some sort for my DD
  • Kunmelweck with gravy (and a side of oatmeal cookies and a banana)
  • Fish sandwich with coleslaw (okay, not great), and the Chicken Sandwich, which I had mentioned was very good (and a nice portion)
  • I think the next dish is gnocci, which my DW did not like at all
  • Mozzarella sticks were one of the few items my DD17 did like

3CB8B88A-B5F1-4A60-80B7-F4F0C6D42A75.thumb.jpeg.98e78a8cf25a151bbcabb682c6563f78.jpeg

ED94B52B-7F11-4781-8321-18DA033E2090.thumb.jpeg.a26f845911df42879816cf7e584b2ebe.jpeg

23963A07-221F-4658-9749-121570B847F1.jpeg

45590153-13F2-48C9-AEF0-1ED0187F0230.jpeg

6404EC39-2D77-4D33-9010-6821CB5EF04B.jpeg

609C75F1-4489-44E8-A814-7ABEB3739860.jpeg

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

More lunchtime photos. . . .

• A view from outside from our table in Sitka (sorry, no pics of the wings or pizza) [Baranof Castle is right around the corner]
  • Another overfull plate of food from the buffet.  Was not the best, but it sure filled up an empty stomach
  • Dark views from within the Windjammer (2x)
  • Views from the outdoor section of the Windjammer (2x) with an aft and a side perspective; usually the least occupied section to eat
  • A lunch menu from the MDR

P1040550.thumb.JPG.a4da0b9ae178c6c3f7619065a29823da.JPG

P1040441.thumb.JPG.6e2a31c4ffcecfa0637c73a0ec4e3076.JPG

P1030995.JPG

P1040321.JPG

P1040322.JPG

P1040325.JPG

P1040539.JPG

Edited by Travel R

A. Color Commentary

During a time not so long past before there were little ones that needed feeding and money for higher institutions, before a house and a mortgage, and before working for the weekend became the name of the game, there was a man that did not cruise. He loved the adventure of the high seas on much smaller vessels for fishing and recreation, but the appeal of a floating tin city was uninviting.

This young man met a beautiful young maiden and they fell in love.  They courted for a few years before he got down on one knee and asked for her hand in marriage.  To the pleasure of his beating heart she responded in the affirmative.  His dream had come true and it was full of silver linings, but the logistics and planning were to come next.  One of the man’s tasks was to find a place to celebrate after the nuptials were complete.

After searching near and far for a proper place for a honeymoon, the man took a step back and tried to look at what his bride to be would enjoy most.  He knew it would be hard for him to swallow, but it was a cruise that she most desired.  Because of his love for her, he procured tickets for two on an ocean liner sailing in the heat of Caribbean.  Instead of being confined to a steel prison on the seas, he found many activities to keep him active and loved it.  The rest, as they say, is history . . . .

B. Ship’s Activities

The title of this subsection is as straight-forward as can be.  I will be discussing the various activities on the ship.  I will include the ones I (or my family) had experienced, or maybe an excuse for why I did not attend a few.  In one sense we were lucky compared to prior sailings since we had more live performances (even if they did not show up on the Royal App until we were on the ship). So with no further ado …

C. Bingo

While my DW played in all but one bingo tournament, my DDs played in two or three, I only attended one.  I do not find playing bingo enjoyable (compared to the casino, where a little skill is intertwined with lady luck), but my DW enjoys it.  She has won before (it paid for all of our excursions and bar tab for that cruise), and continues to go on every cruise.

Although she my DW not win this time around, my DD22 was the lucky winner during the ship’s SWAG bingo game.  She won a hat, shirt, and a few other RCI logo’d items.  The shirt will give her a free additional bingo card on every subsequent bingo game on RCI. [FYI – there is usually a word that will give all players an extra card as well – one of the words was “tequila.”] The Bingo games, btw, were held in the Safari lounge (which has comfortable seats).

D. Trivia

There seemed to be a lot of trivia games on this cruise. On other cruises, I remember maybe one a day, but there were sometimes two or three a day. I know that this was to make up for pool-side games and a lack of performers, but it just seemed like too much. I only played four trivia games: An Alaska trivia game (which was provided in lieu of the enrichment talk), a general trivia game (my family did okay on that one), and a Star Wars trivia (I did well when ask questions about the real Star Wars movies (IV-VI), but not so well on questions regarding the rest of the Disney Star Wars Universe). We did arrive late for the Harry Potter trivia, but the questions they asked were hard (I did read all the books, and see all the movies, but never a fanatic, do not really know much trivia – although my dog is named after one of the characters).

E. Name That Toon

During the day, if the activities staff was not conducting a trivia game the were holding a Name That Tune contest.  Although I had passed by while the game was being played, I never actively participated, and I missed the one I would have done well at – Beatles songs.

F. Bars, Lounges, and Bar Performers

We did not go to many bars just to sit, listen to music, and drink.  My DW did not drink much this cruise and I could not drink alcohol. However, from time to time, I did have the opportunity to just sit and listen.  There were a few singers that were entertaining, and a few musicians that were talented – or at least had enough talent for me to enjoy. However, there were no musicians that either provoked me to come back at a later time or even remain there longer because I wanted to sit there and listen. Not that they were bad, but there always seemed like there was something else I was doing.

G. Drink Packages

To start out with, as I had mentioned, I cannot drink alcohol.  Simply, it has to do with an allergy I have, so I will leave it at that.  My DW is not a big drinker as is my DD22, and my DD17 does not drink.

When it came to choosing drink packages, my DDs were going to get the beverage package (although we told my DD22 that she could order alcoholic drinks from time to time). 

Although I may have had mocktails or fresh squeezed OJ, I did not think the price was worth it for me, I figured if I wanted a mocktail or two, I could order them – and did not order any the entire cruise; and the fake OJ they served in the morning was good enough.  I left it up to my DW if she wanted the better drink package and she said no (even for the coffee), and only consumed a small handful of alcoholic drinks the entire cruise.

Note that I did take advantage of the beverage package, having a lot more soda than I usually have at home (I mostly drink water and iced tea).  Besides the MDR or the drink bar in the WJ, I also ordered drinks from the various bars and lounges throughout the ship.  This was the one of the areas of the ship where I observed that service was short. Even if a bar was not busy, it sometimes took a while to get the bartender (usually only one) to take my order and serve me a drink (and I was not the kind of person to cut my way in to order, which people did).

H. Art Auction

Let me begin by saying that there was some beautiful works of art (some horrible, but some really nice).  After seeing these advertised over so many past cruises, I finally made it a point to register – in fact I registered in advance (although never received my free gift).  I checked in and was given a plastic sheet with my number, which also included the rules of the auction and stickers you could attach to the artwork to show you were interested.

During the initial 25 minutes of the show there was nothing going on, except for walking around and looking at the paintings. I had read that the salespeople would try to hound you about buying something so I wore the "shlumpiest" looking outfit I could find (my shirt was crinkled up from being in the suitcase, and I did not brush my hair).  I actually spent most of the time talking to a couple we had met the previous night at dinner (they were sitting at the table next to us, and we started a conversation). No salesperson approached me, although I found out that the individuals I was speaking to had already purchased a piece for themselves.

[If you arrive at the gallery early and talk to them you can get the piece you want for an early-bird discount. Also note, if you order a print, you will not be getting the exact piece you chose – a copy will be sent to you from their warehouse in Chicago.]

The auction was not like other auctions I had attended before. There were a few gimmicks like the mystery bidding “game.”  A lot of the artwork were prints, and IMHO were sold for a lot more than they were worth.  Some of their highlighted artists were unknown to me, and also were sold for prices I would not pay (especially know knowing anything about the artist or its potential value – I am not taking the word of these sea ship salespeople). Prior to sailing I did read a few articles which provided a big caveat about the auctions, so even if I saw something I liked, I probably would not have bid.  At one point early in the auction I was offered champagne, I refused since I could not drink it – although it is supposedly a draw to get people to attend.  There were only about 12-15 bidders in the room (and about 7 or 8 members of the art auction staff) – so many seats were empty.

The whole event seemed almost staged and unnatural and there were no bidding wars. I was bored and stayed around longer than I should have. The auction event was scheduled for an hour and a half, I walked out without a bid within an hour. Now that I know what art auctions are like aboard cruises, I never have to go back.  Luckily, I left at a great time. I was hungry and went to lunch and happened to catch my family as they were walking to the MDR, so I was able to eat lunch with them.

Although reading the negative comments about these auctions in the articles, which may have skewed my opinion even before attending, there is a reason why it has taken me so long to have finally attended my first (and last).

I. Pool & Pool Area

This was an Alaskan cruise, so that should be enough for my discussion of the pools.

However, the Serenade has an enclosed pool area called the Serenity Pool. It is actually a lovely looking area with Afro-Indo decorations.  The area is warmer than the cold of the Alaskan seas, and swimming is possible. After inquiring from one of the few swimmers, they stated that the water was “lukewarm,” I had packed two bathing suits, but never donned either.

I remember only seeing a small handful of adults in the outside pools, although there were children seen in the kid’s pools (although not many).  However, the outdoor jacuzzi seemed to always be full regardless of the day or night.

Since Alaska was experiencing warm weather, it would have been a treat for the ship to have provided a few poolside activities. However, the entertainment team did not plan for good weather, therefore Lido deck activities were absent from the activities listed in the Compass (they were too busy with trivia and name that tune).  To me, one of the best parts of a cruise is to sit out by the pool (for me, a lounge chair in the shade) and listen to a live house band playing; bonus if they are playing Bob Marley, which will hopefully be available on our next cruise.

J. Spa

One of my DW’s cruise traditions is going to the spa for at least one treatment.  Although she was on the fence for the first few days, she finally made the decision to go.  She asked for the “regular massage” so not sure exactly the one she received.  Upon her return she said it was very nice and relaxing. Although a lot more expensive than back home (and the prices have dramatically increased over the past few years), it is one of the luxuries that she takes on the cruise – and she deserves it. In the early days of our cruise life, I used to order in room service, but since they made that a premium, I took a few snacks from the WJ earlier in the day and chilled out in the room (the only time I spent any considerable time in the cabin if not napping, sleeping, showering, or changing) and sat back and watched (most of) a movie (Gunfighter w/ Gregory Peck – detailed in an earlier post).

K. Cinema

I did not personally go to the cinema, but my DDs (and DW) did.  The first time they went was during the day and it was for a movie for younger kids (Encanto) – the cinema was packed with young kids, so they decided not to watch it.  They went again for another movie (more adult), and did watch most of the movie (forgot which one) – the cinema is not large (holds about 50 people) and they said was decent for watching a movie.  RCI did not provide popcorn (which I thought was a nice touch on Carnival).

L. Informal Meet & Greet

We were not able to get 30 people on our Cruise Critic Roll Call to sign up for a more formal Meet & Greet, so we decided to have a more informal one combining both the Roll Call and the FB page for this sailing. About 18 people showed up (my DW thought that we would not have half that), and it was nice talking to people that I had only “seen” textually on those two media venues.

There were no games or free food and drink, but we all had a good talk – with some of the topics including issues getting to Vancouver, what we were enjoying or look forward to on our sailing, past cruises (and adventures), and a few other topics.  For me, it was a nice time meeting other fellow cruisers.

My one regret is that I did not take any group photos.

M. Fellow Passengers (Adults)

My fellow travelling companions were great.  Most seemed to be very friendly – on the ship and those we met on excursions.  Many would get into longer discussions, although a number of pax stuck with the shorter “yes” and “nos.”  I did not see any cases of drunkenness or rowdiness on during this cruise (which I heard being reported in a thread on Cruise Critic) and except for that one elevator experience I had no other issues with any of the passengers.

The demographics seemed to be a lot of men and women in their mid-40s to upper 50’s, may with families, with the next largest segment being those in their 60s and 70s.  There were teens and younger children, but there did not seem to be an overwhelming amount (or I just did not notice them).

N. Sports Activities

There are a number of sports one could partake while sailing the Serenade.  This includes solo and team sports, and those that will tire your body and those that take skill instead of muscle. Here’s a few of them:

Shuffleboard – On our very first cruise, myself and my DW played a game or two of deck shuffleboard. I do not remember every playing it since on a cruise ship.

[Did You Know: The origin of the game of shuffleboard is unknown, but it is thought that it was played as early as the 1400s in England.  In fact, King Henry VIII thought that this game (which was often wagered on) was only for the elite and outlawed commoners from playing.]

Rock Climbing Wall – A few years ago rock-climbing walls were all the rage, and it has become a staple on almost all ships. The times for climbing were very limited each day, which usually conflicted with something I wanted to do (or was off the ship on an excursion).  To tell the truth, I had no desire to climb a plastic wall this trip.

Basketball & Soccer – At times the Sports Court (Deck 13, aft) was open for basketball or Soccer at specific times. These was not an organized activities and pick-up teams could be formed to play. I did not go there, since I thought it would be full of teens and much younger people, so I do not know how successful the games were.

Pickle Ball – There were select times that the Sports Court was converted into Pickle Ball courts. I was a fairly decent Paddle Ball player back in the day (and also an old friend with one of the co-inventors of Pop Tennis), and was interested in trying out my skills to see they could convert to this similar activity, but never got the chance to do so. 

Table Tennis – Another cruise ship staple. Although I have played on various cruises, I never tried my hand at the mini court during this cruise (located on the Pool Deck).

Pool – This ship is equipped with two Gyroscopic Pool Tables (In the Safari Club) that automatically self-level to adjust to the ship’s movements.  Every time I passed by the tables were occupied, and did not have the patients to wait, so I never did get a chance to play.

[Did you know: The first documented billiards table in existence is found listed in an inventory of the possessions of King Louis IX in 1470. The gyro tables are not a recent invention, I know that they were on some RCI ships as early as 2011.]

Fun Fitness and Stretching

In the morning at 9 AM Latin music could be heard blaring out of the Centrum. If you were to look down at the fourth floor, you would see many passengers stretching and moving to the rhythmic beat.

If you were an early riser, you could also catch a morning stretch (7 AM) at the Vitality Fitness Center. I did not partake, and was usually out of the gym by that hour. A 5 PM evening stretch class was also offered.

Both of these activities are complimentary.

Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, and Body Conditioning

I did see Yoga, Pilates, and Body Conditioning classes being offered (for a fee) at the Fitness Center but did not attend any sessions – my body does not really stretch that way anymore. There were also spinning and body conditioning classes, but was not interested (besides, I did my own cycling for free). These classes were not offered every day, so check your Compass for the days and times.

Miniature Golf – I had played mini golf on a cruise ship one a small handful of times.  It was fun to play for the first time years ago with my DW, and a good way to spend time with my DDs when they were younger, but it has lost its notoriety (for me) as the years have passed by.

[Did You Know: The first miniature golf course was built in 1916 in Pinehurst, North Carolina and has a connection to the sea. It was on the estate of a steamship magnate (James Barber). The first 18-hole miniature golf course was placed upon RCI’s Legend of the Seas back in 1995. I did have the opportunity to play a round when I sailed her a few years ago.]

O. Religious Services

I am not sure if there is a nondenominational sanctuary anywhere on board. However, Friday Night Jewish Services were held in the Windjammer Café between 5:00 and 5:30. [Note: As I was told, the time they provided is too early for a location that has a Sunset after 10 PM.]  Since this sailing departed and arrived back in port on Sundays, no Christian Sunday Services were held, nor did I see any Islamic services listed during the week as well.

P. Other

Some of the other activities that were happening on the Serenade, but I did not take part in (so cannot comment) included:

Spa “Giveaways” and Lectures – There were a few “events” where the Spa gave away free items, tours, discounts, talks, and short massages in hopes of teasing passengers into purchasing the more expensive products and treatments. Although not really an activity, these are listed in the Compass on a daily basis.

Get togethers – The ship did host a few get-togethers for various groups, such as Solos & Singles, LGBT+, Friends of Bill W. I did not attend any of these.  However, my DD22 did go try to attend two of the solo/singles events.  She said that there was almost no-one there, and any that may have been there for the event were significantly older than her.

Games & Other Things To Do

– There were a number of games (participation and pen & pencil) being offered onboard besides what I had listed earlier in this subtopic).  However, there were a few I did not attend do to disinterest, conflict with other events, or the fact they were being held while I was off the ship enjoying an excursion. Here’s a list (and I may be missing a few):

Games (I did not attend):

·       Yes/No Game – You win by not saying yes or no.  My DD17 should have played.

·       Finish That Lyric – A sister-game to Name That Tune

·       Flags Around the World – I would go if Sheldon were running it

·       Family Scavenger Hunt – Fun for families with younger kids/teens

·       60 Seconds or Less – Never played

·       Zen Coloring – Sounds relaxing, but did not go

·       Scattegories – Usually a fun game

·       Egg Drop – This seemed interesting, but was unable to attend]

·       Love and Marriage Game Show – I have enjoyed this on other cruises, the timing did not synch up this time around

·       Battle of the Sexes Game Show – I never enjoyed this show, but other do

·       Soduko – I am guessing they give out the Soduko and time people to figure out who completes it quickest?

·       Who in the World am I? – A guessing game

·       Pictionary – Fun game, not sure how they pull it off with so many people

To Keep You Occupied:

·       Port Shopping Show – I hate these, so I have not gone to one in years.  I feel as though it is just a commercial for the stores in port.

·       Dance Classes – Country Music & Line Dancing [The classes always seemed to be at an inconvenient time (for me); I think they would have been fun

·       Origami & Towel Folding – Been to these on prior cruises. I passed.

·       Captain’s Corner – I did not attend, but I heard it was interesting

·       Casino Tournaments – As mentioned, I did not go to the casino during this cruise

·       Top Tier Event (Platinum to Pinnacle) – Did not attend

Although there are a lot of activities, they are mostly pen-and-paper or trivia type things to do.  Don’t get me wrong, some are fun, but after a week, I find myself bored of such continuous tourney.

I will try to have copies of the Compass up by tonight or tomorrow (as you can tell by my posting yesterday's photos this morning, I was a bit busy yesterday).

Up Next . . . .Teens and Young Adults

• Like 1

Like the ship, my view was outward, so I did not take many photos of the ship's interior itself beyond the multitude I had taken of my family, but here is a few random samplings of activities . . . 

• The Lido (pool) Deck
  • Down at the centrum, where there is always something going on
  • My bidding card for the auction
  • Some photos of the running track and Fitness Center
  • The info screen showing the upcoming Spider-man film
  • Playing Bingo in the Safari Club

P1030788.JPG

P1030789.JPG

P1030856.JPG

P1040551.JPG

77A55395-CF25-468D-BEEA-479DAF3BDA5E.jpeg

603FC659-993B-4DB9-9C0A-01B241A2D887.jpeg

0ED520F7-E52F-4D65-87D4-B24D4BB791EC.jpeg

F2FD5974-3D3C-48C7-A6A5-ECE93FE89E15.jpeg

1AF5B1EC-B0CC-4E26-A6FD-C88084D60A4C.jpeg

B8C79D98-C1B4-4D95-BCCD-36FDBEDE1323.jpeg

Edited by Travel R

I’m sad you didn’t get to see the egg drop! It was the highlight of our sea day on Radiance!

(I’m starting to realize we had an amazing captain-Marek-because everyone wanted to be where he was, like the Rockin with the Captain the last night and captain’s corner) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

I’m sad you didn’t get to see the egg drop! It was the highlight of our sea day on Radiance!

(I’m starting to realize we had an amazing captain-Marek-because everyone wanted to be where he was, like the Rockin with the Captain the last night and captain’s corner) 

I cannot remember the conflict, but when I read it in the Compass, I said to myself "that's for me." I have not tried to look for a video of it since there is a good chance we will be on Lady Grand next year, and hoping that they have it on her (and want to be surprised).

The first thought when I read it was the segment on the David Letterman Show when he used to throw things off the Ed Sullivan Theater.  Also it reminded me of the egg toss competitions I used to participate in back in the day at the beach.

Edited by Travel R
  • Haha 1

Sorry everyone for not keeping up with this review the last few days. Been really, really busy with work and trying to enjoy life when I can.  [Also sorry for not getting the copies of the Compass up yet as well.]

I should be able to resume this weekend, but a quick update to an important issue I had not included before . . . .

Shampoo, Conditioner, and Body Wash

Just one note that my DD's had mentioned, and I forgot to write about when discussing the features of the stateroom's bathroom.  There is a dispenser in the shower that provides a 3-in-1 wonder concoction for washing that combines body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.  My DD17 was horrified when she realized what it was.  Luckily for her, she had some travel-size shampoo with her and used it until it ran out, then begrudgingly used the concoction for the remaining few days of the cruise.  If you have your own personal hair-needs beware and bring your own hair-care items.

However, there is a bar of soap (not a dispenser) provided for our use at the sink.

Thank you for your detailed report.  We'll be sailing on the Serenade in 30 days!! Our 3rd Alaskan cruise.  Our first Alaska cruise was on the Serenade in 2006.  Just as excited.  We've never been to Haines and Sitka so again thanks for all your information and taking the time to answer questions.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flpenguin said:

Thank you for your detailed report.  We'll be sailing on the Serenade in 30 days!! Our 3rd Alaskan cruise.  Our first Alaska cruise was on the Serenade in 2006.  Just as excited.  We've never been to Haines and Sitka so again thanks for all your information and taking the time to answer questions.

3rd time! Then I do not have to tell you that you will have an amazing time.

We did not port at Haines, but I can answer any questions about Sitka.  I also have the walking tour documentation downloaded in one of the prior threads in addition to my review of our walk, Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

We are back from our July 24-31 cruise on this route. I’ll have to catch up on your trip report. 

@familycruzinnewbie -  I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how your cruise was and how you are feeling. 

So how was the cruise and is your arm mending okay?

Edited by Travel R

I have a few minutes while I am waiting for some documentation to be sent, so here's my next update, although the pics (and Compass) will have to wait for later this evening or tomorrow . . . 

Edited by Travel R

“My Dad had the right idea. He had it all worked out. He used to say to me, ‘Son, don't miss the wonders that surround you; because, every tree, every rock, every ant hill, every star is filled with the wonders of nature.’ ”

[Jefferson Smith [James Stewart] “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington”]

• Like 1

A. Colorful Commentary

It is a quantifiable fact that travel without children is less expensive when not accompanied by one’s progeny. However, what you receive in return by experiencing the world with the ones you love is a lot more rewarding than its cost in dollars and cents.

I must admit, there were the occasional (very, very occasional) opportunities over the past two decades where we were able to steal away for a week, much less a day, especially when our children were younger. The preponderance of our vacations and weekend jaunts into suburbia for the past twenty-two years have occurred with children in tow. 

Akin to Jefferson Smith’s sentiments, I do not solely journey to a location with the intent of merely arriving.  It is the journey and the wonderous sights and experiences along the path for which we thrive.  However, even this is but a segment of the overall adventure. The quest for wonders should not come to an end upon arrival – there are a great deal more wonders to see and things to do; therefore do not close your eyes, or worse pass the wonders by without even a notice.

As my parents had gifted me, I pay it forward to my children.  I have travelled with them on these ventures to expose them to the many wonders of our universe and teach them to not just keep their eyes open, but to actively seek out the wonders, both small and large.

Age is of no matter. We had begun exposing our children from their infancy and have continued well into their passage out of adolescence and into adulthood.  Nor does the child need to be of flesh or blood – you can disseminate the gift of wonder to the eyes, hearts, and minds of all others; even if that child is an adult friend, loved one, or partner of many decades.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to open my child’s eyes to the wonders of nature, civilization, history, and culture both close to home to the many staggering corners of the world.  Even when re-visiting an old haunt, try to re-live again for the first time through the fascinated and wide-opened eyes of your children or travelling companions. Also be sure to listen to those you are with, since they may also be able to show you wonders you many have overlooked before.

In providing this Alaskan adventure to my family I have gifted them the wonders nature on a grand scale, but also acted as a guide so they can appreciate all the wonders of the little things as well.

[Did You Know: James Steward was not originally slated for the title role.  The film was originally slated to be a sequel to “Mr. Deeds Goes to Town” another Academy Award-winning film by director Frank Capra (“Mr. Deeds Goes to Washington”). However, Gary Cooper (Mr. Deeds) was under contract with another studio, so they needed to find another actor, and Stewart filled the role more than adequately. Jean Arthur, playing the co-star in Mr. Deeds, also co-starred in this movie. While she received an Oscar nod for “More the Merrier,” IMHO, her roles in these movies should have led to at least two additional nominations.]

B. This Topic, in Context

This subsection was added for two reasons: (1) To describe that time in-between the day’s activities and the time dinner begins (which can be anywhere from 4:30 for Early Dining to 8 PM (or after) for MTD). I our case, most diners were set for 6:45 (MyTime Dining), but left our cabin somewhere after 6:30, and (2) to discuss that in-between age on cruise ships for late teens and young adults.  My DD at 17 was too old for most of the teen activities, yet not old enough for consuming alcohol or gambling (on this sailing), while my DD22 is old enough to drink and gamble, but found it difficult to find others her age.

C. Nap and Relax Part II

Although I enjoy availing myself to relaxation time in the AM (as discussed in a prior post) I do enjoy a little R&R in the evenings prior to our evening meal.

Napping - If I returned to my stateroom by 4:30 and partook in a nice shower, on a few occasions I found myself taking a stroll through the land of slumber.

[Did you Know: According to the National Sleep Foundation, napping is good for both children and adults.]

Watching TV – Although I did not watch the TV very often during the cruise, it was during this in-between time that I may have surfed the channels, including the one rare occurrence where I actually watched most of a movie.

[Did you Know: According to a study by the University of California watching TV can reduce the levels of the hormone cortisol in your body, which may help reduce stress. However, beware of too much of a good thing.]

Watching Nature from the Balcony – One of my favorite evening activities during the cruise was simply sitting out on the balcony on the lookout for wildlife or just looking out at the beauty of nature. Of course, my trusty set of binoculars were by my side to accentuate my sight, in addition to my camera and cell phone to hopefully capture those truly unforgettable sights.

[Did You Know: How fast does nature pass you by while the cruise ship is sailing?  According to an article on Cruise Critic, the average speed of a modern cruise ship is about 23 miles per hour, with a maximum speed of around 34.5 mph. And no, I have no idea what the swapping of some of the RCI ships for next year due to speed regulations is all about.]

D. Teens/Teenagers and Young Adults

For cruisers, there is an in-between demographic that some cruise lines are beginning to pay attention to (besides during the short booze cruise during college breaks), but not every often, and not even on every ship.  Young adults over 18 and especially those 21+ exist in an in-between nexus of the cruising universe. At 21 they can at least eat or gamble, but there are not many to find to share these activities. 

For the 18-21, they are in the age of limbo, although the drinking and gambling age may vary based on a country’s itinerary. There are rarely any activities that focus on these age groups. For my DD17, although still young enough to enter the teen club, she is almost 18 and entering college, which places her mentally and socially over the age restrictions and into the older set – and once again, no activities exist.

D1. Young Adults

My DD22 assessment of the young adult situation is as follows:  there were a few passengers in the early-20 age group, but they were in the minority.  These individuals were mostly observed during the cruise partaking in activities with their family unit. She concluded that ship did not really provide a proper venue for them to meet or gather. 

Single/Solo Events

The single/solo events were sparsely attended by her age group or any age group (unless people came much later).

Disco

She believed that she would most likely meet up with other young adults at the evening disco/dance venue where she would meet up with passengers her age.  However, the “disco” did not seem to draw many in that age group – she thinks because of their selection of music.   Pop/dance music from at least the early 2000’s and later would have been a draw to young adults her age. Instead, they played much older music from the 50s through the 90s (which would be great for my age group, but not for hers).  

I get it, the ship is sailing with an older demographic, and the ship wants to cater to their desires, but this venue was not very well attended by any demographic. [Q: When did I become an older demographic?] I might suggest the option of dedicating the first hour (10 to 11 PM) playing music for the older generation, and newer music thereafter (while most of the passengers are tucked away under the blankets.)

Hush Party

The only venue that was “kinda” attended by young adults was the Hush Party.

Casino Bar

Although she had passed by the bars and lounges during the evenings on various evenings, she did not see any groups of people her age just hanging out.  That is until the very last night of the cruise.  While leaving one venue (I do not know which one), she walked through the casino, and in the bar was a group of 20-somethings just hanging out, and not with a bunch of adults.  She stated to me that  if she was not already so tired that evening she may have gone by to see if she could possibly hang out with them; but her exhaustion won out, and retired to her cabin instead.  No, the casino bar was not one of the areas that she would have thought to look for like-compatriots.

D2. Older Teens

Since my DDs are both 17 or older, I am not going to comment on the going-ons of younger teens or children.  I can provide you will my knowledge and experience from earlier cruises, but they are not fresh in my mind. To get the best bang for your buck, I am only commenting on my DD17’s experience.  As with all things, her experience may be (is probably) a lot different than other older teenagers. Whereas in the past, except for one cruise where she had cousins and friends to hang out with, she had always attended the Teen Club and would many times rather spend time there than with her family. For our Alaska sailing this was not the case.

My DD17 went to the first night at the teen club and not many teens her age showed up. There were a number of younger teens, but she was a 17-year-old going into college in the Fall. It seemed like too young of a vibe for her. A staff member said to come back later, and maybe more teens her age would show up, but she never made it back. 

Fortunately, she did meet up with two girls her age (18+), and they did hang out a few times during the cruise. Since they were over 18, they did not go to the teen club (they had aged out), so they hung out in various places throughout the ship (e.g., trivia and Name that Tune games, Hush Party, etc.) and had fun.

Unlike previous cruises, my DDs did not observe any large mobs of kids roaming around the ship (as on previous cruises) – teens and young adults seemed to be contained in smaller groups with their family (except for the one group that all wore matching pink Hawaiian shirts one night – although they were with their the parents, (unfortunately for my DD17, they were all younger teens)). I observed this group of kids and their parents performed Karaoke together one evening (further hammering in the hypothesis of children on this remaining in groups with their parents).

The general observation by both of my DDs is that when they saw kids/adults in either one of their age groups, it was usually with their family units.

D3. In Sum

. . . although my DDs were not socializing 20 hours a day when not with good ole’ mom and pop, they both have explained that they had an “awesome” vacation.  They thoroughly enjoyed the excursions (although would have spent less time at the museums), the views of the glaciers, and the ship itself (the highlights being the Hush Party and Karaoke).  My DD17 also enjoyed the freedom of being in a separate cabin and even sharing that cabin with her big sister [a precursor for college in only a few weeks 😊. . . .], and they both also enjoyed dressing up for dinner. 

The lack of social connections was a disappointment for my DD22, although thankfully my DD17 connected with travelers her age to talk to on occasion. The only unanimous aspect of the cruise we all shared was our low opinion of the food. They (and I) had become accustomed to better offerings, and our expectations were not met; this culinary state of affair, however, would not hinder either of them from taking another cruise, especially if mom and dad are taking care of the bill.

I am happy that I have been able to share an adventure into the wilds (and not so wilds) of Canada and Alaska with my daughters, who kept their eyes open to look for, and enjoy, the wonders of everything they experienced. I have given them the travel bug, which I hope they retain with them for their lifetimes and be able to share many more wonders with their own loved ones.

Up Next . . . . A Call for Dinner

Edited by Travel R

Our cruise was amazing. We did the $10 shuttle in Sitka to fortress of the bear and raptor center. We had the option to return on our own so came back through the totem park and other sites.

We did not make it to Tracey arm.  The time was confusing as they said 5am but calendar said 5:30 then 6. So we checked ch 24, empty at 5am, peeps at 5:20 so hubby got up and then 5:24 announcement came on saying too cloudy or foggy. Longer day in Juneau so we bumped up whale tour and had longer at Mendenhall glacier.

Hubbard glacier was amazing. We got in quite close, we didn’t excursion on small boat.

Ketchikan - not sure if we chose wisely but we were planning to do it on our own but checked with the excursions on dock and there were 3 that did wildlife and totems. We went with the $75 one that included tickets to dollys house. The wildlife was mainly a trip to Herring cove - which unfortunately had no bears that day. Curious if the others had better luck. 

showers - try showering with your arm stuck out between the shower doors.   Hubby got in to wash my hair at hotels but not possible on the boat. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

Our cruise was amazing. We did the $10 shuttle in Sitka to fortress of the bear and raptor center. We had the option to return on our own so came back through the totem park and other sites.

Glad y'all had a great time!!!!!

I did not see the $10 shuttle when we went. Good news for those reading this thread. May I ask, where did you pick up the shuttle and where did you purchase the ticket?

We did not make it to Tracey arm.  The time was confusing as they said 5am but calendar said 5:30 then 6. So we checked ch 24, empty at 5am, peeps at 5:20 so hubby got up and then 5:24 announcement came on saying too cloudy or foggy. Longer day in Juneau so we bumped up whale tour and had longer at Mendenhall glacier.

Although you missed Tracy Arm, it was a good tradeoff with extra time in Juneau and having longer time in Juneau.

Hubbard glacier was amazing. We got in quite close, we didn’t excursion on small boat.

Awesome!  Glad your sailing had a close view/

Ketchikan - not sure if we chose wisely but we were planning to do it on our own but checked with the excursions on dock and there were 3 that did wildlife and totems. We went with the $75 one that included tickets to dollys house. The wildlife was mainly a trip to Herring cove - which unfortunately had no bears that day. Curious if the others had better luck. 

Wildlife tours are always hit or miss. Years ago we went on a four hour whale watching tour out of Long Island to only see a single sunfish.

How was Dolly's House?

showers - try showering with your arm stuck out between the shower doors.   Hubby got in to wash my hair at hotels but not possible on the boat. 

There is little one for one person let alone two in those shower stalls (except for those in a suite).  But glad you and your arm made it through okay!