Looking for short cruise options

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is the silliest itinerary I have ever seen.  Four days cruising across the ditch from NZ to Sydney and back, with only one day in Sydney with 4 pm early departure.

I suspect you'll find it is really part of two other cruises that actually embark in Sydney. This itinerary gives Kiwis the chance to do a round trip cruise rather than having to fly to Australia to do a cruise of their own country.

Princess often offers overlapping itineraries, sometimes linked by short cruises. When we did a PNG cruise some years ago quite a few passengers embarked in Brisbane, then we embarked in Sydney and headed for PNG. On the way back the Brisbane people got off and a new lot embarked for a two night cruise to Sydney.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I suspect you'll find it is really part of two other cruises that actually embark in Sydney. This itinerary gives Kiwis the chance to do a round trip cruise rather than having to fly to Australia to do a cruise of their own country.

Princess often offers overlapping itineraries, sometimes linked by short cruises. When we did a PNG cruise some years ago quite a few passengers embarked in Brisbane, then we embarked in Sydney and headed for PNG. On the way back the Brisbane people got off and a new lot embarked for a two night cruise to Sydney.

So is the idea for some NZ passengers to disembark in Sydney, whilst other passengers embark in Sydney?

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

So is the idea for some NZ passengers to disembark in Sydney, whilst other passengers embark in Sydney?

No, the NZ passengers do the round trip, other passengers get on in Sydney for a round trip or possibly a Sydney- Auckland one way trip. The Auckland return itinerary would probably only have a limited number of cabins available.

Have you ever looked at the number of itineraries covering one of the Round Australia cruises? There is usually at least four - Sydney roundtrip, Brisbane roundtrip, Sydney - Fremantle, Fremantle - Sydney. I've seen quarter sectors as well I think with Darwin and Adelaide being the other embarkation ports. That doesn't happen often though although Darwin is sometimes linked with a Ghan train trip through some TAs.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, the NZ passengers do the round trip, other passengers get on in Sydney for a round trip or possibly a Sydney- Auckland one way trip. The Auckland return itinerary would probably only have a limited number of cabins available.

Have you ever looked at the number of itineraries covering one of the Round Australia cruises? There is usually at least four - Sydney roundtrip, Brisbane roundtrip, Sydney - Fremantle, Fremantle - Sydney. I've seen quarter sectors as well I think with Darwin and Adelaide being the other embarkation ports. That doesn't happen often though although Darwin is sometimes linked with a Ghan train trip through some TAs.

Yes I am familiar with those options on around mainland Australia cruises.  I did one myself staying on a ship after Sydney to Brisbane as part of a world cruise.  However four days cruising the Tasman Sea for a day in Sydney didn't seem appealing to me.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I am familiar with those options on around mainland Australia cruises.  I did one myself staying on a ship after Sydney to Brisbane as part of a world cruise.  However four days cruising the Tasman Sea for a day in Sydney didn't seem appealing to me.  

It wouldn't appeal to me either but it would be a blessing to Kiwis who want to do a cruise but are unable to fly.

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Just stumbled upon this company... does anyone have experience with them?

https://www.coralexpeditions.com/au/destinations/new-zealand/south-coast-to-fiordland/

This is the sort of thing we're looking for, <10 days to hit some stops we can't see driving on our own in a car.

Yes, I have cruised with this excellent company.  I did a review on Cruise Critic on my cruise from Cairns to Darwin.