Will I feel out of place?

marymount

21 hours ago, karylrocks said:

I get what you are saying. We have to be very careful with our travel dollars, there aren't many and we do tend to spend most of our disposable income doing that (as inexpensively as possible) rather than buying nice things. We have been on about 7 cruises in the past 15 years, only once in a balcony. The people you might be uncomfortable around are not sailing Princess (or RCL or NCL etc); they are spending $50K+ for a week on a luxury cruise line or their own yacht.

We did 6 trips on Cunard all balcony & 2 in Queensgrill. we did 3 on Celebrity. All inside rooms. Actually quite nice. A couple on Princess, one inside(rather plain) One in Club Class(very nice) 3 on Oceania all balcony. Exceptionally nice. We have a 14 day trip on Princess in early March in Club Class again. One boked out on Oceania on the new Vista in 2024. We do one cruise a year. We prefer a table for 2 as we're a pretty private couple. Being a gay couple, we've had some table mates who were rather rude.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:24 PM, voljeep said:

I do 'forensic accounting investigations for the IRS' ...

8 minutes ago, rbtan said:

LOL!

We always have dinner by ourselves,   Getting a table for two is no problem.  Mrs. XBGuy likes to sleep in every morning,  So, I usually head out to breakfast by myself. I might go to the dining room, where I will ask for a shared table, but, more often than not I will go to the buffet.  At a breakfast in the buffet once I was seated alone at a fairly large table and a group of three asked if they could join me.  We started bantering and were having a great time.  I told them that I was a Viking--mostly because I liked the pillaging part.  This one lady was all over it.  "Ooh.  I love your uniforms."

On 7/6/2022 at 5:26 PM, marymount said:

My husband and myself are considering taking the Crown Princess 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. We are frequent cruisers, mainly the Caribbean (not been on Princess for many years though). We’ve never sailed for more than 14 days.

He is 72 and I will turn 70 on debarkation day. Tahiti especially has been on my bucket list for a looong time. So thought we’d splurge for my birthday. We are not rich by any means, nor have we traveled the world like many we’ve met. I’m thinking that the clientele of people we meet may make us feel inferior? We are rather shy and not good at starting up a conversation, like at dinner, so wondering if we will feel out of place. 

You just described my husband and me. We love sailing on Princess and have never been made to feel out of place or inferior. If I ever run across someone who is "full of him/herself", we finish our conversation and never see them again. We've only run across one tableful of people in eight cruises who didn't really include us in their conversation; they were obviously friends from before but they were still fairly polite to us. We joined them again the next night (requested a large group and were put with them by the hostess) and the second night was much better.

Just as in "real life", a cruise offers the opportunity to meet new people and possily make new friends. It's hard to come out of your shell but totally worth it if you can!

Please don't stress yourself out leading up to your cruise. You may be lucky enough to form a bond with another couple or two or you may not. But you will be lucky enough to fulfill your dream of Tahiti and of being on a cruise with your life companion. That is what counts, no?