Mexico/Central America vs Caribbean - Passport?

numberguy

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a family cruise.  Total of 10 family members, 4 of whom don't have passports.  They've gone on one or two Caribbean cruises before with just a driver's license and state-issued birth certificate.  If we take a cruise round-trip out of New Orleans that goes to Mexico, Belize, and Honduras, can my non-passport-holding family members still sail with just the license/certificate combination?

I will definitely encourage them to get a passport, but they may not want to.  So I want to know about the license/certificate combo.

Thanks everyone!

--Michael

1 hour ago, numberguy said:

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a family cruise.  Total of 10 family members, 4 of whom don't have passports.  They've gone on one or two Caribbean cruises before with just a driver's license and state-issued birth certificate.  If we take a cruise round-trip out of New Orleans that goes to Mexico, Belize, and Honduras, can my non-passport-holding family members still sail with just the license/certificate combination?

I will definitely encourage them to get a passport, but they may not want to.  So I want to know about the license/certificate combo.

Thanks everyone!

--Michael

Yes, that's acceptable:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

OR

WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)-compliant documents (click here to for more information.)

*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.