Transfers in rome

Garyjames220

45 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

yeah it would add up

I must admit I am amazed there is not better and cheaper options to get there. There must be thousands and thousands of people going to the port a week and I’m amazed everyone needs to pay this kind of money to get there and back

it would put me off going from this port again, spending 300 min just to get there and back is a lot, anyway I’m sure the cruise will be worth it, never done Greece before 🙂

There are ample other cost-effective options, which cater mostly to cruisers that don't have a ton of luggage and non-ambulatory dependents 🙂 - in our past life before young kids, it was easy to hop on a train with carry-on size luggage back and forth. Shuttles, taxis, cruise-organized transfers, share rides and DIY options for the majority also exist in great numbers.

We happen to be in the minority that can benefit from a more direct/easier solution - so, because of supply and demand, there is a premium to be paid to take the complication out of the travel equation.

You are right though - the cruise will be worth it ! We just came back on the Celebrity Reflection to Greece and Turkey and we had a blast.

Enjoy !

Edited by Maverick!
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Maverick! said:

There are ample other cost-effective options, which cater mostly to cruisers that don't have a ton of luggage and non-ambulatory dependents 🙂 - in our past life before young kids, it was easy to hop on a train with carry-on size luggage back and forth. Shuttles, taxis, cruise-organized transfers, share rides and DIY options for the majority also exist in great numbers.

We happen to be in the minority that can benefit from a more direct/easier solution - so, because of supply and demand, there is a premium to be paid to take the complication out of the travel equation.

You are right though - the cruise will be worth it ! We just came back on the Celebrity Reflection to Greece and Turkey and we had a blast.

Enjoy !

aww very nice. What’s the youngest your two were on a cruise 

A few people have advised us to get two single strollers rather than the double, would you advise that

30 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

aww very nice. What’s the youngest your two were on a cruise 

A few people have advised us to get two single strollers rather than the double, would you advise that

Youngest was In utero 🙂 lol - then after than 7 months each. We didn't have twins though 🙂 but our 2 were 2.5 years apart.

A double stroller would be tricky in port to manage unless you can collapse with one hand.  We did bring a collapsable lightweight single stroller in the early years that I was able to collapse with one hand and had a strap to mobilize easily. Don't forget if you are tendering in Greece (in Santorini, Mykonos), you may want to be as lite/mobile as possible.  I don't know what your itinerary is but if port intensive then stroller would depend on what you were thinking of doing in port.

I found a baby carrier+ a lite single stroller worked well in many cases in Year 1 when a double stroller was cumbersome.

There are other perspectives in the Family section but I think they would probably converge towards similar.

Edited by Maverick!

37 minutes ago, Maverick! said:

Youngest was In utero 🙂 lol - then after than 7 months each. We didn't have twins though 🙂 but our 2 were 2.5 years apart.

A double stroller would be tricky in port to manage unless you can collapse with one hand.  We did bring a collapsable lightweight single stroller in the early years that I was able to collapse with one hand and had a strap to mobilize easily. Don't forget if you are tendering in Greece (in Santorini, Mykonos), you may want to be as lite/mobile as possible.  I don't know what your itinerary is but if port intensive then stroller would depend on what you were thinking of doing in port.

I found a baby carrier+ a lite single stroller worked well in many cases in Year 1 when a double stroller was cumbersome.

There are other perspectives in the Family section but I think they would probably converge towards similar.

so yeah it’s very easy to collapse the  double stroller with one hand and very used to doing it after 17 nights in Disney world, I was just flinging it in the air and it was down lol

just can’t decide wether to keep it or get two singles, not to keen on carrying them 

we are only doing the odd half day excursions, one is a beach, we aren’t getting off in Naples as been there a few times 

I was more concerned wether the double stroller would work on the ship

I no a lot might be put off cos it takes a while to get down but this one is very easy 

7 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

so yeah it’s very easy to collapse the  double stroller with one hand and very used to doing it after 17 nights in Disney world, I was just flinging it in the air and it was down lol

just can’t decide wether to keep it or get two singles, not to keen on carrying them 

we are only doing the odd half day excursions, one is a beach, we aren’t getting off in Naples as been there a few times 

I was more concerned wether the double stroller would work on the ship

I no a lot might be put off cos it takes a while to get down but this one is very easy 

In the common and buffet areas, the width of a double would work; in the staterooms, not sure the hallways/elevators with others would fit the width of a double but probably could. There were 400 kids on our sailing and I didn't recall seeing any double strollers used on the ship. If easy to maneovre then your double+carrier could be a good option.

Edited by Maverick!

1 hour ago, Maverick! said:

In the common and buffet areas, the width of a double would work; in the staterooms, not sure the hallways/elevators with others would fit the width of a double but probably could. There were 400 kids on our sailing and I didn't recall seeing any double strollers used on the ship. If easy to maneovre then your double+carrier could be a good option.

I’m guessing it was all singles you seen

I seen people say the stateroom may not have much room for it but not sure if putting it on the balcony would be a option

they also said we can only have one crib in the room, so one of them have a sofa bed, any advice on how to stop them falling out of that 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Garyjames220 said:

they also said we can only have one crib in the room, so one of them have a sofa bed, any advice on how to stop them falling out of that 🤦‍♂️

One-year-old twins -- couldn't they both sleep in a single crib?  

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

One-year-old twins -- couldn't they both sleep in a single crib?  

Yeah they will be 18 Months at the time of the cruise 

Do you think it will fit them both, I wasn’t sure how big they were but that’s great if it does

16 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

Yeah they will be 18 Months at the time of the cruise 

Do you think it will fit them both, I wasn’t sure how big they were but that’s great if it does

I'd ask the question in the main forum for whichever cruise line you're booked on. Someone will know.

There's a new trip report on the RCI website for odyssey of the seas.  

They stayed in Civi the night before the cruise; really liked their hotel,  enjoyed the town, and the arranged transfer from the airport was much less than you''ve been quoted.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2868247-odyssey-of-the-seas-17th-july-review/#comment-63623410

On 7/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, Maverick! said:

Hi, we just came back from Rome and an 11-day cruise leaving from Civitavecchia. We're a family of 4 (including 2 young kids) and we travelled extensively - from Fiumicino to City Center, to cruise port and back to airport from Rome. We also added another week to our vacation after the cruise travelling with car service back and from Naples (3 hours each way from Civitavecchia and back to Rome).

We used Rome-Chauffeur and not only was this service consistently on-point for each transfer (we did a total of 5 transfers with them this trip and the drivers arrived at least 30 mins early each reservation), but the pricing was the most competitive out of about 10 other cabs and car services I researched, including those named above.

We also used them our last trip to Rome prior to the pandemic. The service and drivers are exceptional and communications were always quick and responsive. 

Rome-Chauffer is definitely our go-to going forward and I would highly recommend for your trip with 2 babies. I know they have car seats as one driver had one on hand for his next client.

Happy to answer any questions.

that’s me booked with Rome chauffeur 150 each way

saved 60 over all and they 5 star on trip advisor. 

thanks again