Harvest Caye Parasailing

rjm11

I'm interested in feedback from those who have done the parasailing at Harvest caye.... especially the safety of it. Did the equipment seem like it was in good shape? Were safety protocols a priority? that kind of thing. Also did you enjoy it!  My 17 year old is really interested in going- I'm thinking of surprising her with it as a birthday gift.

Edited by rjm11

• rjm11 changed the title to Harvest Caye Parasailing

Anyone that parasails or had will tell you that safety is number one and of the utmost importance no matter where its at. I would doubt anyone would or could tell you that the equipment was in poor shape and still be around. Parasailing is a fun, exciting,  and beautiful experience and I've done tandems with my daughters when they were 10 and 12 and it's a memory forever. Do it and enjoy! No worries! 

My DW and I did the Parasailing there right before the Covid shutdown and had a blast.  We were on the Getaway out of New Orleans.  I would highly recommend it...the views are spectacular, and they will also let you dunk 

in the water at he end if you want...fun.  We are going back on the Breakway in 2 weeks, and might do this again 😁

IMG_4255.jpg

Edited by kismet618

There have been many accidents but I don't know if it is statistically unsafe. I am an experienced paraGlider so do not have a bias against paraSailing, but did see a horrible accident reported nearby where a honeymoon couple had a leg pulled off when blown back onto shore in high winds. So I would avoid gusty conditions, and maybe learn the paragliding trick for deflating a dragging canopy.

http://www.parasail.org/accident-statistics.html says "(95%) percent of all parasail fatalities result from the parasailors(s) inability to escape/evacuate from a harness passenger support system following an unplanned waterlanding in high winds." . They go on to say the trend for higher capacity canopies gives more chance of breaking loose and harming passengers. They talk about widely divergent reports for frequency of injuries, and lack of regulation etc.

If you google parasailing accidents they show some bad ones, but that is out of millions of safe outings. A lawyer site makes the worst-case claims: "Over the past 30 years, more than 1,200 parasailing accidents have resulted in more than 400 serious injuries and more than 70 tragic fatalities."

NCL is very safety conscious especially of windy conditions at Harvest Caye. My friends had their parasailing excursion canceled because it was too windy that day (fully refunded the same day). It was disappointing, but they found plenty of other ways to enjoy Harvest Caye, and everyone stayed safe.

• 2 months later...