Large Group Dining Advice & Max Table Size in MDR and Crown Grill on Discovery Princess

argyleeyes

Does anyone know what the maximum table size (number of seats) in the MDR and Crown Grill on Discovery Princess?  I am traveling with a party of 19 people and we would like to sit together as much as we possibly can (maybe one table of 10 and one table of 9 that are both near each other)?   I have called Princess and have received two different answers.   I am hoping someone out there might know this!   I have also tried to work with our Princess group travel assistant - and they really haven't been much help.   If any of you know or have advice regarding large group dining I would really appreciate it!  We are celebrating my father's 80th birthday and we really want the trip to be wonderful.  

P.S. I have already made our reservations for MDR and Crown Grill on "Dine My Way", but we are not always grouped together (although we have same location and time slot with each other). 

Edited by argyleeyes
Added information.

In general, the largest table size in a Princess dining room is for 10 people. If there are two such tables, they may not be near each other.

With a table for 10, the distance between people at one end and the other is too great for conversation between people not near each other.

Often a party of 10 is better off at two tables for six that are near each other.

For a group of 19, you might be better off with tables for 6 (or some for 4) and can switch who sits with whom each evening.

• Like 2

Thanks.  We are doing a group luncheon for our Cruise Critic roll call.  Have about 25 people signed up.  Now that I've read your answer it might be better to have the tables for six instead of the larger tables.

MDR. Agree with Caribill. 3 tables of 6 or 7. With large tables you can only speak with the few people sitting next to you. Service is also slower. Both smaller tables and larger tables have one waiter and one ass't waiter. If one person at your table is a slow eater the waiters wait until that person completes their course before they serve the next course. Better chance that would happen with a large table. 

Crown Grill tables typically hold up to 6. There may be some larger tables. You should speak with the head waiter on boarding day about your seating arrangements.

27 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks.  We are doing a group luncheon for our Cruise Critic roll call.  Have about 25 people signed up.  Now that I've read your answer it might be better to have the tables for six instead of the larger tables.

I have participated in these lunches. The head waiter just reserves a bunch of tables near each other. They could be various sizes. Speak with the head waiter on boarding day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

OK. That is not the situation I thought you had. I thought you were talking about dining every evening.

For this one-time group lunch work with the Maitre d' (or whatever the position is called now). He will arrange a section of the dining room to be reserved for the group. There will be various table sizes, but they will be near each other. Try to get with the Maitre d' early in the cruise to set this up.

Normally this will be scheduled for the time that the dining room opens for lunch.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, caribill said:

OK. That is not the situation I thought you had. I thought you were talking about dining every evening.

For this one-time group lunch work with the Maitre d' (or whatever the position is called now). He will arrange a section of the dining room to be reserved for the group. There will be various table sizes, but they will be near each other. Try to get with the Maitre d' early in the cruise to set this up.

Normally this will be scheduled for the time that the dining room opens for lunch.

The OP was asking about dining every evening with 19 people.  I just need one luncheon for 25.