ArriveCan app. Is this needed going to Canada?

47 minutes ago, rudeney said:

You can fill out the app info more than 72 hours before you arrive at port.  There are two dates - one for "date of embarkation" for the ship (which must be within 72 hours of filling out the app info) and one for "Date of arrival" in the first Canadian port you will visit, and this must be within 30 days.  

Sorry to be so lame here, but on the app, Date of embarkation currently says ‘must be between 8/9 and 8/13.’ You can’t go further if not in that date range.  I imagine this changes daily, but boarding on 9/5 but not to Canada till 9/11, we wouldn’t be able to fill out till after we sail (like 9/8 or so) thus not meeting the RCCL request to have the ArriveCan app filled out prior to boarding.  Again, no doubt something I’m not following ….

Well, thanks so much for the great discussion on this topic. 
As for the three days before the first Canadian port. I would like to hear from cruisers that filled it out before they boarded the ship, more than three days before, and it was ok. I think I saw one comment that she did this before leaving Hawaii headed to Vancouver. After all it’s passport and vaccination records, which in itself not time sensitive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

Sorry to be so lame here, but on the app, Date of embarkation currently says ‘must be between 8/9 and 8/13.’ You can’t go further if not in that date range.  I imagine this changes daily, but boarding on 9/5 but not to Canada till 9/11, we wouldn’t be able to fill out till after we sail (like 9/8 or so) thus not meeting the RCCL request to have the ArriveCan app filled out prior to boarding.  Again, no doubt something I’m not following ….

OK, so let's say I'm on a Canada/New England cruise on the itinerary below, leaving this Sunday, August 14th.  This doesn't really leave this Sunday - it's the itinerary for my next cruise in October, but let's pretend it's this Sunday just for the example:

image.thumb.png.ffcdc9614560509174ab1a4758c6ab29.png

So  today, AUgust 11th, I am 72 hours (well, 3 days) from boarding, but 6 days from my first Canadian port.  I can still use ArricCAN today.

On the "Reason for Travel", it's "Discretionary":

image.png.465ec45c7e9395f982e9c235cfc3e379.png

On the "Entry to Canada", it's "Enter by Marine":

image.png.c2f935c3fb8c250c748d5aa62d2d0175.png

On the next page, assuming you leave from the USA, pick that, and the date of embarkation of the ship in the USA (in yellow).  This can be within the next 72 hours, but no further out.  Then choose the first Canadian port you visit and the date of arrival for that (in green) which can be within the next 30 days:

image.png.771bbcad0e4635b0c90287369ace433a.png

After that screen, you continue on to select the ship, cabin number, enter your contact information, and all the other requirements for ArriveCAN.   If your embarkation date is more than 3 days out, you won't be able to continue, but as long as it is within the next 3 days, and your first port arrival is within the next 30 days, you can do this before you board the ship. 

Edited by rudeney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2022 at 10:09 PM, rudeney said:

The way I interpret this is that if you arrive "by sea in a private boat" then you don't have to be tested, but because cruise ships are "petri dishes of COVID" you must be tested. 

Doesn't make me feel secure - petri dish!

11 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

More Clarification: Filling out the form is not the same as submitting it to the Canadian Government. My cruise is 8/15, Seattle-Round trip. I've already downloaded the app, added all in my party with their passport and vaccine information. That way the only thing I have to do is hit the submit button when it's time (72 hrs prior to cruise start date or before we arrive in Victoria, BC) to do so. No messing around with the data input. Hope this helps your questions!

Here's a note I received from my Suite Conceire this week on the subject: A Friendly reminder for your Arrive CAN for Canada, please try to finish this and get your QR code ready in hand for your smooth check in process. You can do this by visiting ArriveCANhttps://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/welcome 3 days prior to the cruise starts or before you arrive Canada, please see the attachment for your reference.

34 minutes ago, CruiseWendy said:

More Clarification: Filling out the form is not the same as submitting it to the Canadian Government. My cruise is 8/15, Seattle-Round trip. I've already downloaded the app, added all in my party with their passport and vaccine information. That way the only thing I have to do is hit the submit button when it's time (72 hrs prior to cruise start date or before we arrive in Victoria, BC) to do so. No messing around with the data input. Hope this helps your questions!

I think they will only let you do this one day in advance of the 72-hour window.  When I go in and try to start the process for my October trip, I only get to choose a date through August 15th (even though 72 hours would be the 14th).  I can't go past the 15th.  Still, it's nice to know you can do everything one day ahead of schedule.  ANd it's off that it still shows yesterday, August 10th.  I guess if you forgot, and boarded yesterday, but were still not in port until today or later, they still let you use the app.

image.thumb.png.e255e3684d1ad2e680826c4efcc2a1c9.png

4 hours ago, rudeney said:

OK, so let's say I'm on a Canada/New England cruise on the itinerary below, leaving this Sunday, August 14th.  This doesn't really leave this Sunday - it's the itinerary for my next cruise in October, but let's pretend it's this Sunday just for the example:

image.thumb.png.ffcdc9614560509174ab1a4758c6ab29.png

So  today, AUgust 11th, I am 72 hours (well, 3 days) from boarding, but 6 days from my first Canadian port.  I can still use ArricCAN today.

On the "Reason for Travel", it's "Discretionary":

image.png.465ec45c7e9395f982e9c235cfc3e379.png

On the "Entry to Canada", it's "Enter by Marine":

image.png.c2f935c3fb8c250c748d5aa62d2d0175.png

On the next page, assuming you leave from the USA, pick that, and the date of embarkation of the ship in the USA (in yellow).  This can be within the next 72 hours, but no further out.  Then choose the first Canadian port you visit and the date of arrival for that (in green) which can be within the next 30 days:

image.png.771bbcad0e4635b0c90287369ace433a.png

After that screen, you continue on to select the ship, cabin number, enter your contact information, and all the other requirements for ArriveCAN.   If your embarkation date is more than 3 days out, you won't be able to continue, but as long as it is within the next 3 days, and your first port arrival is within the next 30 days, you can do this before you board the ship. 

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation. I’ve got it now. Appreciate you taking the time to hang in there with me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation. I’ve got it now. Appreciate you taking the time to hang in there with me.

No worries!  I myself have been very confused by all this and I am an OCD planner, so I've had to study this to get it straight in my mind.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1