Special medical requests

Lojay2

We are booked on an upcoming cruise in November and I have to have to make a special request for a refrigerator (for my wife's medicine) as well as a container for needles. I tried calling  but was on hold for over an hour and then got disconnected.

Does anyone have the email information of where I could send the information to??

I need a sharps container in my stateroom every cruise. My TA requests it on our reservation but on the odd occasion it hasn’t been in the room, we just ask our stateroom attendant and they take care of it for me. Easy peasy.

As for the fridge, every room we have stayed in there has been a fridge. Is that not standard (honest question)?!

21 minutes ago, Lojay2 said:

Does anyone have the email information of where I could send the information to??

The email is special_needs@rccl.com.  You can also find an online form at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs.  The form has check boxes for both the sharps container and a mini-fridge, but I also would specify in the "other" space at the bottom that you need a refrigerator for storing meds.

14 minutes ago, mom2miracles said:

As for the fridge, every room we have stayed in there has been a fridge. Is that not standard (honest question)?!

I'll go a bit further than Biker on that point.  I wouldn't trust any standard room fridge on any cruise ship or hotel to be able to safely hold medications for more than (perhaps) one night.  I'm not sure they are even at a proper temperature for holding food.  Many ships and lines (and hotel chains) are starting to call them "coolers" or the like.

It's a good question to ask.  Many folks need to know that they may need to ask to properly store meds.

6 hours ago, mom2miracles said:

I need a sharps container in my stateroom every cruise. My TA requests it on our reservation but on the odd occasion it hasn’t been in the room, we just ask our stateroom attendant and they take care of it for me. Easy peasy.

cabins have a cooler - it’s not a fridge. Coolers are meant to keep soda/wine chilled, etc.  they are not a true fridge. One reason they are not recommended for milk. If you need a fridge for medical purposes the Special Needs Department can assist. 

They will provide you with a mini/portable medical fridge that plugs in and you can place under the desk/vanity table.   This is either a fridge or heater so make sure you have on correct setting.

Complete the special needs form, link provided above, and request this medical fridge and sharps container.  If not in your cabin when you board ask room steward to make sure they get one right away for you.

This was always done for Mom with no problems on many different ships.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1