Windstar vs Seabiurn vs Silverseas etc

flare3192

I have been lurking here looking at information on all these cruises. We have not been on an ocean cruise -- just an AMA waterways river cruise. But we are wanting to go to Greece and a cruise seems the best way to do it. Right now we are interested in the Petra extension and the cruise from Haifa to Barcelona.  Has anyone done any of this and what did you think? Do any of you find your own tour guides in port and, if so -- how do you find them? If you have done this cruise -- which excursions were the ones you loved? There are so many and its hard to really know what to choose.

The ship is the Star Pride -- which cabins should we consider and which to avoid? Is it soundproofed or, would you have noise if say you were near the gym.

Should we purchase the cruise insurance or buy our own?

Thank you

I don't know that anyone would have experience with the Petra extension yet. I think that itineraries with that are fairly recent. In January 2020, we booked a cruise for later in that year that had a Petra excursion during 2 days port in Haifa. That may have been the first time they were going to Israel - I don't recall earlier itineraries. Of course that cruise never happened due to the pandemic shut down of cruising. We were booked on a similar itinerary for October 2021. The cruise happened but Israel and Egypt ports were cancelled and replaced with Greek ports due to Covid.

I've never noticed any noise from the deck above or from stair wells/elevator. My last cruise I had a cabin by the fore elevator and stairwell and there were no noise issues. There is a pinned thread for cabin reviews. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2758328-staterooms-on-renovated-motor-yachts/?do=getNewComment

The most forward cabins may have vibration from the anchor operating when arriving and departing port. Generally, I haven't found much variation. Other than a handful of larger suites, all the suites are nearly identical in size and furnishings. The Star Suites were added in the stretch and have a bed by the window, living area by the door configuration. The original Suites are living area by the window, bed by the door. The balcony suites have French balconies - a bit over 1 foot of balcony depth; fine for opening the door and sitting by in the living area enjoying the fresh air and view. Only the Owner's suites and Classic suite have a regular balcony. We've never felt a need for a balcony on Windstar - there are always plenty of loungers available on deck and it's never crowded or felt like we needed to our own retreat to get peace.

The deck 3 cabins were added in the stretch and have portholes. The rest of the non-balcony cabins have a large ocean view window.

I've always felt as a general principle that it is better to get cruise insurance independent from the cruise line or tour provider. I want to buy insurance from someone who specializes in providing it. 

thank you. Right now we are in 619 and I have until tomorrow to decide but I am leaning that way. As for the insurance, I had always heard not to buy it from the cruise line but the agent is telling me that is better to do. I did wonder if anyone had experience with that as the proof is in the claims. 

I have looked some at the insurance board and many people like the insurance store so i may do that. I do have a medjet assist policy and am thinking adding a geo blue would really cover medical which, in my opinion, is the most important thing. 

If medical coverage is important, then definitely look at buying your own insurance. An important factor for us is that the medical coverage is primary, not secondary. With secondary coverage you must first submit all medical bills to your insurer at home, wait for a ruling (almost always denied if you received treatment outside of the US), and only then submit to the travel insurance company. It's important to read the fine print of policy, not just the overview.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:56 AM, Shorex said:

If medical coverage is important, then definitely look at buying your own insurance. An important factor for us is that the medical coverage is primary, not secondary. With secondary coverage you must first submit all medical bills to your insurer at home, wait for a ruling (almost always denied if you received treatment outside of the US), and only then submit to the travel insurance company. It's important to read the fine print of policy, not just the overview.

The comment about "almost always denied" is excessive. It is best to check with your medical insurance. We have Kaiser and the provide emergency care coverage world wide. We have had significant medical expenses twice while traveling and had no issues getting them to cover it. 

Tne was international and included surgery and a 3-day hospital stay so the bill was 5 figures. I submtted the package from the hospital documenting the care and costs. Kaiser promptly sent us the entire amount minus the same hospital copay that I'd have paid for the care at home. 

I would never consider purchasing insurance from the cruise line.  Consider that the agent with whom you are speaking may get a commission from any sales of additional products.  I rarely book cruise line tours, always find my own.  Start by researching the ports of call forum on this website; lots of info there.  Also check out toursbylocals.com.

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I would never consider purchasing insurance from the cruise line.  Consider that the agent with whom you are speaking may get a commission from any sales of additional products.  I rarely book cruise line tours, always find my own.  Start by researching the ports of call forum on this website; lots of info there.  Also check out toursbylocals.com.

The ideal situation is what I found in booking Silversea.  They have a direct link to Allianz with a flat rate of 10% for my age, which is considerably lower than the Allianz policy my TA sells.