ArriveCan - Vancouver to Whittier to Vancouver, 14 days

SilvertoGold

We sail northbound from Vancouver for 7 days and then 7 days southbound to Vancouver. This is booked as two 7 day cruises, but we will be in transit in Whittier on the ship, not disembarking.

When do we fill out the ArriveCan app?   72 hours before we leave Vancouver, with our arrival back in Canada 14 days from that date?

I know from past experience that HAL wants to see the ArriveCan receipt at embarkation, so this makes sense, but I want to make sure :)

Thanks for any insight!

We did this cruise in May. We filled out the ArriveCan form and printed a copy because I was unsure of internet access 2 days before we boarded the ship in Vancouver. It was never asked for because it shows up when they check your passport. When we flew from Vancouver to Toronto 14 days later,  same thing- no one asked. And we had to fly from Anchorage( Whittier) to Vancouver due to a medical crisis. Same dates.

• Thanks 1

Strictly speaking, there is no requirement for an ArriveCAN submission for your one-way cruise to Whittier, but you will need one for your southbound sailing. The problem is whether HAL will treat these as two separate cruises or a single cruise for passengers such as yourself. Personally, I would view it as a single RT cruise from an ArriveCAN perspective and make my submission prior to initial embarkation in Vancouver. The worst thing that can happen is needing to spend a couple of minutes in Whittier doing a second submission.

Unfortunately, the various federal departments involved have never addressed the issue of b2b cruises.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Strictly speaking, there is no requirement for an ArriveCAN submission for your one-way cruise to Whittier, but you will need one for your southbound sailing. The problem is whether HAL will treat these as two separate cruises or a single cruise for passengers such as yourself. Personally, I would view it as a single RT cruise from an ArriveCAN perspective and make my submission prior to initial embarkation in Vancouver. The worst thing that can happen is needing to spend a couple of minutes in Whittier doing a second submission.

Unfortunately, the various federal departments involved have never addressed the issue of b2b cruises.

Thank you.  I was hoping you would respond :)  In June HAL wanted to see the ArriveCan receipt prior to boarding in Vancouver.  They looked to see if pax had the right arrival/entry date in the upper left corner. Given that, I think we need a receipt to present, just in case HAL still wants to see it before boarding, so will do it as a 14 day cruise.

I see b2b cruises as in transit as in airports and ArriveCan does address that. The whole ArriveCan program has been plagued with problems like this for cruising.

Again, thanks for your well-considered assistance.

• Like 1