Mariner - Main Dining Room Quality

Gemina

I understand it’s totally subjective! I love food so I appreciate any opinions. 

Sailing Mariner next month and going back and forth on whether or not to purchase the UDP. Any recent experiences with the main dining room or specialty dining? I’m having a hard time making a decision. We are on a 5 day sailing with 2 sea days if that makes a difference!

Thank you so much!

14 minutes ago, Gemina said:

I understand it’s totally subjective! I love food so I appreciate any opinions. 

Sailing Mariner next month and going back and forth on whether or not to purchase the UDP. Any recent experiences with the main dining room or specialty dining? I’m having a hard time making a decision. We are on a 5 day sailing with 2 sea days if that makes a difference!

Thank you so much!

The menus in the MDR on short cruises are fairly utilitarian (i.e. no lobster niight) but the food has been very good. On Mariner, there are only three full service specialty restaurants, so if you do the UDP, I would look at the menus from Chops, Jamie's Italian, and Izumi to see if you like all three of their menus. On a five night, we usually do Chops, Izumi, and maybe one night in the MDR and two nights in Windjammer.

I was on Mariner in March. The MDR food ranged from fine to very good. I am not an adventurous eater, but easily found something that was pleasing every evening, including pasta, chicken, and beef dishes. They were very accommodating when I asked to switch side dishes, which I did several times. I have never done specialty dining because that's not how I choose to spend my money. I'm not judging those who love specialty dining, it's just not something that interests me.

• Like 1

I was on Mariner in July.  Out of the eight nights, there was one "OK" meal, all the rest were pretty good.  I am not picky when it comes to food at all.  We did not eat in any specialty restaurants.  Well, that's not totally true, we did the "Taste of Royal" lunch which was held in Chops.  

Dinners were all MDR.  WJ for lunch/breakfast. 

We were on the Mariner in June. Pre Covid, we have always enjoyed the MDR meals. However, this trip was different. I'm not one to complain, however the chicken I ordered was chewy and gritty. It only came with mashed potatoes...nothing else....we tried 2 more times on this 8 day cruise, and were also disappointed in the Lobster dinner. It was the size of a large prawn, and they did not serve with melted butter. 

I can understand it's harder to get good quality food, and training new servers and chef's. So with this in mind....we will certainly go back to main dinning on the Radiance for our upcoming cruise.

Chops: we had the very best steak We've ever eaten. It came with the very best attentive and comical  waiter and desert. We highly recommend trying this restaurant. James Italian was also very good. 

If you are disappointed in the size of the lobster ask for more.  We and others have asked for and received several additional.  We have never asked for more than two lobsters but others at our table have asked for more.  We always ask for the drawn butter and they will bring it.  Any time you are not happy just ask for what you want.  I can guarantee you the waitstaff do not want anyone to go away with any type of bad experience.