Sky Princess Internet

Pat King

We did a TA in March on Sky Princess. We liked the ship. But, there was little or no internet for  16 days except when in port.

No one on staff could explain why, or there were many different explanations.

We would like to take a London/Lauderdale TA in October, but no internet would be a deal breaker.

We have tried customer relations but got no help. Anyone with current knowledge of the situation?

Thanks,

Pat King

Do not have direct experience for the Sky Princess but we've done two TAs and internet went out both times about 3 years apart. I don't know much about satellites but it would seem this is common from other posters too. Maybe they don't place communications satellites for full Atlantic coverage? Hope someone with more knowledge posts, but just saying, you're not alone.

7 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

we've done two TAs and internet went out both times about 3 years apart.

Thanks for the quick response.

The internet never went out since it was not there in the first place. We would not mind interruptions of a few hours or so.

6 minutes ago, Pat King said:

...it was not there in the first place. We would not mind interruptions of a few hours or so.

On more recent cruise of the two, went out sometime after Canary Islands. Returned one day out from Ft. Lauderdale, so days, not hours. Some say there are issues with the Princess' satellite provider currently. Near polar latitudes and trans-oceanic though, folks never seem happy. 

Hope you can work something out so you can feel untethered to the internet and enjoy your trip.

I was on that same cruise and Princess did something that morning before leaving FLL.  The week before the internet worked great but then for the TA it was basically useless.  I did ask a few months ago on Royal Caribbean that has the same Internet that Princess had in the Caribbean how does it fare when they go across the Atlantic.  The answer from them was the first few days the Internet is good, then it sucks for a 2-3 days then as the ship is getting closer to Europe it's better and they don't switch the Internet off from the O3B mpower or SES mpower now, which Princess did.  Reading other threads seems like the other ships deal with the Internet better on the TA then the newer ones.  

I've tried to get an answer from customer relations, but had no luck.

I don't understand why Princess does not address the issue. Very bad PR if social media is dissing their service after they touted "The Best Internet at Sea".

As I said, I loved the ship and the crew (the food not so much) and would like to do another TA.

So, the short answer is that there is little to no internet on the Sky Princess Trans-Atlantics?

That would be a real shame. A lot of cruisers depend on the internet to get things done while still having a terrific time.