Detaching From The Diamond Plus

I vote that you try a non-cruise vacation. It's definitely not going to offer as much entertainment, and obviously, no change of scenery with new port stops, but there's lots of great places to visit for land vacations. 

Since you'll be bringing children, I'd suggest trying a Beaches all-inclusive resort. Turks and Caicos has a good one, so does Negril Jamaica (it's on the nicest stretch of beach in Jamaica, and Negril is on the sunset-side of the island).

Aruba is one of my favorite islands for doing land vacations, but they don't have good all-inclusive resorts. You're better off staying at a regular (non all-inclusive) hotel, and paying out-of-pocket for food, drinks and activities. I like staying at the Hilton on Palm Beach. 

Puerto Rico has some good culture to experience, and if you stay during the right time of the month, you can do the bio-bay kayaking at night and see the bioluminescence. It's one of only 7 places in the world that you can do that. But the beach water in Puerto Rico isn't as nice as the places above.

I'd steer clear of anything in Mexico. They have some nice hotels for cheap, but the beaches aren't anywhere near as good as the first 3 places I mentioned above. The hotels and the activities on the island are often geared more towards the adult party crowd. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1