Buying cigarettes on board

nineseas

Husband and I don't smoke but we are going to cruise in November with our son and his friend who do smoke.  This will be their first cruise and I don't know the answer.  Their question - if they buy cartons of cigarettes duty free on Mardi Gras will they be able to smoke them on the cruise?  I know liquor has to be held until the end of the cruise but I have no idea about cigarettes.  What if they buy them in port - will they be allowed to take them to their room or do they need to turn them in like alcohol?  Booze, I can tell them about but cigarettes . . .any help would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help!

I bought four cartons of cig's for my brother-in-law.  They put them in a bag and handed them to me.  I kept them in the cabin until we disembarked.   Note that there is a limit to how many packs or cartons can be brought back without paying duty, or whatever it is called.  

If you buy cig's in port, you can bring them on board and smoke them.   

2 minutes ago, vinsheer said:

They do not hold the cigarettes. I have bought 4 cartons at a time on several different Carnival ships and they are bagged up and handed to you to use as you wish.

I think you pushed send right before me -- otherwise I wouldn't have done a repeat of your comment!  

Do you remember how many are allowed to be brought home?  I know I was over the count.  I was also pretty sure no one would ask. I was right on that.   

Just now, ldubs said:

Do you remember how many are allowed to be brought home?  I know I was over the count.  I was also pretty sure no one would ask. I was right on that.   

Exactly. I believe it is one carton per person but lately they don't even ask at all.

• Like 2

For those sailing out of Galveston note that Texas has, unless things have changed post covid, a "stupid tax." When we debarked they had a table in the walkway where you were supposed to stop and pay Texas tax on any cigarettes or booze you were bringing in. Texas, unlike U.S. customs and Boarder Patrol, has no special authority to stop and search you at a port of entry. The result is that only the stupid pay the tax. The informed just walk on by.