Family cruise questions...

Bruin Steve

Okay, so my wife likes the idea of taking the family on a cruise (This means GROWN kids--not like when we took them with us when they were little and lived at home)...

Here's the deal:  We have two grown daughters...both live in Portland, OR.  One has an irrational fear of flying--so it pretty much makes sense to do an Alaska cruise--probably out of Seattle (3 hour drive from Portland)...maybe Vancouver (5 hours but also an international border crossing each way)...So, likely Quantum of the Seas out of Seattle...likely August 2023.  Also saves us $$ on airfare--it would just be my wife and I flying RT LAX to PDX...

Easy so far, huh?

It gets complicated past there.

One daughter is married, the other single...

The single daughter has had a few serious relationships over the years...but none for more than a couple of years...She has a current boyfriend...but, if we're planning for a cruise a year from now, we have no idea if they'll still be together by then.  Never had to deal with this issue before.  Do we book the cruise for the two of them?  What happens if they break up between now and then?  If we book it under his name, can we later substitute someone else if things work out differently?  Or change it to a "Solo" booking if necessary?  If changed to solo, how does that affect the price?  Or if we book it as a solo now, can we later add him--or someone else?

Next question:  Crown & Anchor--My wife and I are Diamond Plus.  Both daughters are Diamond.  The son-in-law has never cruised on Royal Caribbean before.  I have no idea about the other daughter's boyfriend.  I know the rules for this have changed over the years.  Does the son-in-law get bumped to Diamond status since he is married to someone Diamond?  If so, do they require a copy of the marriage license or something?  How about the boyfriend?  Assuming he has no C&A status, does he NOT get any benefits (like an invite to the reception, for example?).

Any other issues I haven't yet thought about?

Thanks...   

Edited by Bruin Steve

14 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay, so my wife likes the idea of taking the family on a cruise (This means GROWN kids--not like when we took them with us when they were little and lived at home)...

Here's the deal:  We have two grown daughters...both live in Portland, OR.  One has an irrational fear of flying--so it pretty much makes sense to do an Alaska cruise--probably out of Seattle (3 hour drive from Portland)...maybe Vancouver (5 hours but also an international border crossing each way)...So, likely Quantum of the Seas out of Seattle...likely August 2023.  Also saves us $$ on airfare--it would just be my wife and I flying RT LAX to PDX...

Easy so far, huh?

It gets complicated past there.

One daughter is married, the other single...

The single daughter has had a few serious relationships over the years...but none for more than a couple of years...She has a current boyfriend...but, if we're planning for a cruise a year from now, we have no idea if they'll still be together by then.  Never had to deal with this issue before.  Do we book the cruise for the two of them?  What happens if they break up between now and then?  If we book it under his name, can we later substitute someone else if things work out differently?  Or change it to a "Solo" booking if necessary?  If changed to solo, how does that affect the price?  Or if we book it as a solo now, can we later add him--or someone else?

Next question:  Crown & Anchor--My wife and I are Diamond Plus.  Both daughters are Diamond.  The son-in-law has never cruised on Royal Caribbean before.  I have no idea about the other daughter's boyfriend.  I know the rules for this have changed over the years.  Does the son-in-law get bumped to Diamond status since he is married to someone Diamond?  If so, do they require a copy of the marriage license or something?  How about the boyfriend?  Assuming he has no C&A status, does he NOT get any benefits (like an invite to the reception, for example?).

Any other issues I haven't yet thought about?

Thanks...   

Book for 2.  Name changes can be done no charge up to 48 hours prior to sailing or if no one else is in the picture just have them be a no show and get taxes and fees for guests 2 refunded after the cruise.  Always better to book for 2 and drop one than the other way around

Have the son in law get a C&A number now and he will be D.

Your other daughter could do that with her BF, just say they live at the same address and he is her significant other

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2