My room is so quiet...

SempreMare

My room is so quiet...

(penthouse junior suite 7000)

Plan a

I had packed my old Bose bluetooth speaker “necklace” But that seems to have gone missing during the luggage forward shipment of my luggage. Granted, the rules did say “no electronics”, so I didn’t pack my iPad. But I was hoping a small Bluetooth speaker would not be a big deal.

Plan B

I miss the Bluetooth speaker amenity in the Holland America Neptune suite & in the hotel room I just left.

Plan c

I tried the room TV music available, but my phone playlists would be so much better.

Plan d

Has anyone had luck requesting a Bluetooth speaker?  I’ll try that when I return to the ship

3 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

My room is so quiet...

Plan a

I had packed my old Bose bluetooth speaker “necklace” But that seems to have gone missing during the luggage forward shipment of my luggage. Granted, the rules did say “no electronics”, so I didn’t pack my iPad. But I was hoping a small Bluetooth speaker would not be a big deal.

Plan B

I miss the Bluetooth speaker amenity in the Holland America Neptune suite & in the hotel room I just left.

Plan c

I tried the room TV music available, but my phone playlists would be so much better.

Plan d

Has anyone had luck requesting a Bluetooth speaker?  I’ll try that when I return to the ship

We will be in Cabin 7000 on the Orion in December and would love to know your impressions 

On 9/14/2022 at 3:56 AM, SempreMare said:

My room is so quiet...

Plan a

Plan B

Plan c

Plan d

If you have an iPhone, you can plug it in and use it for ambient sounds. We sleep to ocean sounds every night; there are lots of them on the itunes store, so just choose one, and put it on LOOP, and it'll play all night long.

I have an old CD that came from the Nature Company years ago, and is 40 minutes of gentle ocean surf. I created a playlist, and put that CD on there 15 times, which means it'll play for 600 minutes, or 10 hours. Works great, and we've used it for years in hotels and onboard Viking ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 4:56 AM, SempreMare said:

My room is so quiet...

Plan a

I had packed my old Bose bluetooth speaker “necklace” But that seems to have gone missing during the luggage forward shipment of my luggage.

But I was hoping a small Bluetooth speaker would not be a big deal.

Plan B

Plan c

Plan d

3 minutes ago, KaDarr said:

Really? I can't pack my Kindle? I don't see in the contract anything about electronics being prohibited. Does a Kindle or IPad fall under the lithium battery prohibition? I will be lost without my Kindle.

Perhaps luggage forwarding requires different rules than with carryon or self-checked baggage; I always travel with a Kindle, iPad, and laptop; sometimes I've put my laptop in my suitcase, but usually all of those go into a carryone backpack or rolling briefcase.

I put electronics in suitcases ALL the time; when I'm on a trip where there won't be a Nespresso machine, I bring my own (just like what is on the Viking ships), and have never had an issue with it.

3 hours ago, KaDarr said:

Really? I can't pack my Kindle? I don't see in the contract anything about electronics being prohibited. Does a Kindle or IPad fall under the lithium battery prohibition? I will be lost without my Kindle.

If you are using luggage forward to ship your luggage, you absolutely are not supposed to include “electronics”

this was not obvious to me until I received the FedEx packet that included the DHL shipping tags

In that packet there Is a clear page of what can and cannot be shipped. I just figured I missed that detail  someplace else along the way. 

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

If you are using luggage forward to ship your luggage, you absolutely are not supposed to include “electronics”

this was not obvious to me until I received the FedEx packet that included the DHL shipping tags

In that packet there Is a clear page of what can and cannot be shipped. I just figured I missed that detail  someplace else along the way. 

Here are a couple of relevant links:

https://support.luggageforward.com/article/242-ship#send 

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/ 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KaDarr said:

The OP is not discussing Viking's list of prohibited items, as they used a luggage forwarding service to ship the bags to the ship.

Luggage Forward have significantly greater restrictions than the cruise line.

You will have no problem with your Kindle, provided you bring it with you and don't ship it to the ship.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, Haqdeluxe said:

So what far away part of the world are you sailing that you aren't able to find and purchase some Bluetooth device that fills your needs? 

exactly!  
Like your knee jerk reaction/thought , I also thought  that as Plan B would work. 

think again…

The day after I realized the room did not have a speaker, I looked around Greenwich. Nada. 

I thought maybe the pharmacy would have something inexpensive. Nope.

with more time between that day’s 

excursion end time and last tender time back to the Mars, I’m sure a taxi somewhere would’ve made it possible.