Is there any hope MSC will relax European testing protocols?

Native Floridian 26

3 hours ago, doones2 said:

Am I correct?  MSC is the only cruise line still making US residents cruising the Mediterranean to get a Covid test.  It makes no sense to me.  Only Americans cruising the Mediterranean must get a Covid test.  No one else?  To be honest, this is my family’s first cruise with MSC and after all the problems with customer service and now this, it will be our last cruise with them.  Going back to RCCL.

Unbelievable they haven't updated the USA website for new 10/1 protocols applicable to over 50 other countries.  Honestly I think they forgot to update ours.  Mainly because the USA website talked about non-US residents for cruises leaving US with no updates to protocols, but if you go to their home country's website for Caribbean, they have new Oct 1 protocols.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

10 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

On board the Meraviglia now, we needed a negative test to board in Marseille on the 25th but my understanding is that as of Oct 1st no testing will be required

Would be nice if they would the website. We leave on 10/28 and pray we don't have to test before we leave Florida.

8 minutes ago, Missymssy said:

After a lengthy call to msc, the person I spoke to was adamant that if booked via US market/site, we will still need a negative result. And (as example), the Canadian in front of me and the UK resident behind me in line do not. 

I keep getting that answer too.  Makes me sick.

Funny how if you look at the Caribbean it addresses US and then non-US requirements.  The non-US requirement have been changed on the other countries' websites, and not the USA one.

Is there any way to escalate this?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Missymssy said:

After a lengthy call to msc, the person I spoke to was adamant that if booked via US market/site, we will still need a negative result. And (as example), the Canadian in front of me and the UK resident behind me in line do not. 

I would have ask why you were being discriminated against.

I'd wager that no one boarding in the Med on MSC after Oct 1st (except Athens) will need a compulsory test unless there is a random request or suspicion of infection.

Won't be long!

4 minutes ago, les37b said:

I'd wager that no one boarding in the Med on MSC after Oct 1st (except Athens) will need a compulsory test unless there is a random request or suspicion of infection.

Won't be long!

It's just so stressful now especially since noone else needs the tests.  I really think they have missed the update on our USA website.

1 minute ago, les37b said:

According to her, it is each country that decides the requirements.  I personally feel it's a case of "customer  service is clueless". Lol just hoping I can find a walk-in site when plane lands

5 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

It's just so stressful now especially since noone else needs the tests.  I really think they have missed the update on our USA website.

I agree!!! And if I pay for a test, someone better want to see my result on embarkation!

1 minute ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Okay, you'll have to report back what happens at embarkation. Praying for a change by then.

Will do! But yes, I'm hoping too. I decided to just "wing it' and hope there's a test site nearby. 

Oh, the lady from MSC told me "any CVS offers antigen test". 

My upcoming cruise will be my first on MSC. I chose it mostly for itinerary, knowing the reputation that line has here in the US. And Florida in particular. Which is to say it's known for being a subpar product.

It's discouraging that even long-time MSC cruisers just seem to accept that they won't be able to get reliable customer service through any venue (online, app, phone, etc.). Don't get me wrong - RCCL and Celebrity have customer service hiccups too. But it just seems you can't rely at all on MSC customer service to have correct information and that absolutely exacerbates an already stressful situation (Covid) across a long distance. 

I'll be waiting for reports after 10/1 on whether US residents are being shaken down for test results at the pier.

• Like 2

Looking at Mediterranean.  US website has changed, but it still requires testing and vaccination for US and Non-Schengen countries.  There's another section for Schengen countries and it also says vaccination and testing.

They've also gone back to requiring travel insurance.  This is so messed up!  It's like they've resurrected a webpage from a year ago or something.

THE FOLLOWING FROM MSC FOR ALL CRUISES AROUND EUROPE..........

( I also checked for PLF (Passenger Locator Forms) required in Europe. At present only countries requiring these is FRANCE, ITALY, MALTA, SLOVENIA)

Chris

Excerpt from MSC...............................

The below requirements are valid for cruises starting from 1st October 2022. 

Vaccination requirements

• All Guests embarking are strongly encouraged, but not required, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. 

When a Guest is considered "fully vaccinated"?

- Guests who have received at least two doses of vaccine - except in the case of a single dose Johnson & Johnson - including those not conisdered up-to-date by EMA standards.
- Guests who have recovered from Covid-19 with one shot of vaccine are considered fully vaccinated (they must provide a QR code or alternatively a validating documentation).

Testing requirements 

• For vaccinated Guests it’s not required (but strongly recommended) to present a negative test. 
  • Unvaccinated guests, guests without a vaccine certificate, or guests who have recovered from COVID-19, ages 5 and older are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR or Antigen test taken 48 hours prior to embarkation. 

Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes. 

All guests are recommended to travel with their COVID-19 vaccination status and test results. While the vaccination is not required for boarding it could be requested in various ports of call and at local attractions.

The original test results certificate and vaccination certificate must be presented at the terminal (paper or electronic format) and must be in one of the following languages: English, Italian, German, French or Spanish. The COVID 19 test certificate must contain: guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification / contact details of the centre that performed the analysis, technique used and negative test result. 

All Crew members are required to be fully vaccinated and regularly weekly tested according to MSC Cruises Health & Safety protocol. 

15 minutes ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

THE FOLLOWING FROM MSC FOR ALL CRUISES AROUND EUROPE..........

( I also checked for PLF (Passenger Locator Forms) required in Europe. At present only countries requiring these is FRANCE, ITALY, MALTA, SLOVENIA)

Chris

Excerpt from MSC...............................

The below requirements are valid for cruises starting from 1st October 2022. 

Vaccination requirements

• All Guests embarking are strongly encouraged, but not required, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. 

When a Guest is considered "fully vaccinated"?

- Guests who have received at least two doses of vaccine - except in the case of a single dose Johnson & Johnson - including those not conisdered up-to-date by EMA standards.
- Guests who have recovered from Covid-19 with one shot of vaccine are considered fully vaccinated (they must provide a QR code or alternatively a validating documentation).

Testing requirements 

• For vaccinated Guests it’s not required (but strongly recommended) to present a negative test. 
  • Unvaccinated guests, guests without a vaccine certificate, or guests who have recovered from COVID-19, ages 5 and older are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR or Antigen test taken 48 hours prior to embarkation. 

Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes. 

All guests are recommended to travel with their COVID-19 vaccination status and test results. While the vaccination is not required for boarding it could be requested in various ports of call and at local attractions.

The original test results certificate and vaccination certificate must be presented at the terminal (paper or electronic format) and must be in one of the following languages: English, Italian, German, French or Spanish. The COVID 19 test certificate must contain: guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification / contact details of the centre that performed the analysis, technique used and negative test result. 

All Crew members are required to be fully vaccinated and regularly weekly tested according to MSC Cruises Health & Safety protocol. 

The USA requirements for Europe was just updated.  No more testing if vaxed.

• Like 1

They just updated the US site.  Woohoo!  No more test when vaxed and nonvaxed can sail with test to Mediterranean and Northern Europe.  Finally!!!!!!!!

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

They just updated the US site.  Woohoo!  No more test when vaxed and nonvaxed can sail with test to Mediterranean and Northern Europe.  Finally!!!!!!!!

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

YES!!!

Time to crack a beer and celebrate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1