Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 39

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 26 and Sunday, October 2.

September wanes. October waxes. Use some October Wax to polish your photo skills! 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Whimsy is a word that doesn't get used much. It's an elegant word that describes something that is quaint, fanciful or odd in a playful way. I have always enjoyed a touch of whimsy. Our house features a Murphy door that conceals one of the bedrooms, a steel dinosaur in the garden and other small details here and there that are placed for no other reason than to evoke an occasional smile. This week's photo is of a pair of manual fan controls that were suddenly needed when we moved a fan from where it was controlled by wall switch to the gazebo where the box is direct wired. I was on Amazon looking for beaded chain extensions when I saw these. The whimsy alert went off and I ordered them.

Whimsy

849261315_2022-39Whimsy.thumb.jpg.e7ea0cd1eff5e7efb391c3c5498eccf6.jpg

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Coming down some steps and turning onto the path, I nearly walked right into this guy.  Stopped dead in my tracks, then very carefully extracted camera from jacket pocket and was glad to have a fold-out screen, so I didn't have to raise camera to view which I'm sure would have spooked him.

RX034822.JPG

RX034820.JPG

RX034831A.thumb.jpg.e6176765aee13e1a42acea2d4a832a55.jpg

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 8

Finally a nice, normal weekend back in the wetlands.  Activity is picking up a bit, with fall and winter approaching in the rest of the country, driving more birds down here where those two seasons don't ever come!

Female common yellowthroats - first one I've seen since before summer:

original.jpg

Green heron, showing some particularly lovely and strong coloration down in the shadows by the water:

original.jpg

Our strange visitor from this past winter is back - and in nearly the same spot in the forest.  The odd looking chuck-will's-widow, trying to nap away the afternoon, being a nocturnal hunter:

original.jpg

Closeup of that strange head:

original.jpg

The bird world can have some strange looking creatures, but the bug world can have some downright Space-Alien looking things...like the spiny-backed orb-weaver spider:

original.jpg

Hard to hide in the wetlands when you're pink - the roseate spoonbills don't bother with camouflage - they just stand right out proudly and let everyone see that they're in town:

original.jpg

Closeup of the beautiful feathers and colors of the green heron:

original.jpg

The anhingas are great spearfishers - they dive underwater and use their spring loaded neck to stab out at passing fish, then bring them back to a perch to eat if they're big.  This female seemed to have eyes much bigger than her mouth with this catch:

original.jpg

What - you think she can't swallow a fish that big?  We'll she disagrees, and decided to spend 15 minutes trying to do just that:

original.jpg

She got the fish this far - and then seemed to be stuck trying to figure out how to get it down her skinny neck.  I've seen them do it - so I figured she had a shot, but I took one more closeup then gave up and left:

original.jpg

Another photographer was watching and a few minutes later caught up to me to confirm she got that fish down!

• Like 8

On 9/30/2022 at 5:15 AM, Docker123 said:

Still in Perth and took mum to visit dad’s grave at Pinnaroo. “Lawn” cemetery in a bushland setting. Obligatory kangas. 

D1A559B9-EBCA-4D26-A691-ABAA4B742751.thumb.jpeg.84093aa82ed527b1c93a463a33585ab7.jpeg

E220339B-48CE-434D-AD6D-6E1DD5399593.thumb.jpeg.012ad066672751df34049f942a34df16.jpeg

F368F354-4752-492F-B6E9-6F6E80285143.thumb.jpeg.4931edb6346ec3b027349b92863d885e.jpeg

C18103E2-1590-4569-86A4-6E35A1FBEC1E.thumb.jpeg.acc1aca59e9ecdfe54bc635abc4c2be0.jpeg

Do they ever make a sound!

Not when reclining of course, but when two get to kicking each other, wow. In the Blue Mountains I witnessed, from decent distance, an all out brawl and the howling sounds sure broke the silence in an otherwise tranquil setting.

Quite a thing to be wandering amidst these creatures that are lounging about... routine for you all, I'm sure. But what an experience, which is exactly why we travel. 

Talk about a way to travel, joey there has the best ride in town. 

9 hours ago, zackiedawg said:

original.jpg

I almost thought this was a camouflaged reptile. This is what the absence of any variety flora and fauna in one's environment does to a person. 😂

So, so cool.

There's a YouTube channel called The Dodo which posts very short videos of all types of animals. There is one from Australia with the brightly colored red and green bird, a lady who gets her daily visitors of a community of these birds. One brings his girlfriend. 

We don't see any pigeon romances around here. I guess you just have to look!

Thanks for the spectacular photos, everyone, every week. 

4 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Thank you for the kind words.  I was always a wildlife fan and photographer, but really came to appreciate and love photographing birds when I started noticing the incredible variety and colors.

BTW - our pigeons are very romantic around here:

original.jpg

• Haha 5

On 10/6/2022 at 7:15 AM, Host Bonjour said:

Do they ever make a sound!

Not when reclining of course, but when two get to kicking each other, wow. In the Blue Mountains I witnessed, from decent distance, an all out brawl and the howling sounds sure broke the silence in an otherwise tranquil setting.

Quite a thing to be wandering amidst these creatures that are lounging about... routine for you all, I'm sure. But what an experience, which is exactly why we travel. 

Talk about a way to travel, joey there has the best ride in town. 

I almost thought this was a camouflaged reptile. This is what the absence of any variety flora and fauna in one's environment does to a person. 😂

So, so cool.

There's a YouTube channel called The Dodo which posts very short videos of all types of animals. There is one from Australia with the brightly colored red and green bird, a lady who gets her daily visitors of a community of these birds. One brings his girlfriend. 

Thanks for the spectacular photos, everyone, every week. 

Kangaroos are mostly pretty quiet. Males fighting (especially western and eastern greys) can be pretty noisy with grunting etc noises.  Females can make soft clicking noises to their young. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 11:44 PM, zackiedawg said:

Thank you for the kind words.  I was always a wildlife fan and photographer, but really came to appreciate and love photographing birds when I started noticing the incredible variety and colors.

BTW - our pigeons are very romantic around here:

original.jpg

I would have never noticed 😂 and it's another brilliant shot, in every way. I must have lost a sense of romance, these days I notice murmurations, whichever tree is the "conversation" tree (you know the one) or, as happened recently, why one edge of a building was lined end to end with birds, while directly across the street, was lightly populated. Missing the courtship for sure. 

And this photo begs for captions. I love it.