New Year Dream on Explorer question

Hi, we recently booked for new year on the explorer.

Does anyone know when the dress to impress night would be? Would they do it for new years eve?

Just as I want to book a speciality restaurant for our group but don't want it to clash with dress to impress.

• 4 weeks later...

Have done this itinerary twice before and the dress to impress is indeed on NYE/Hogmany. For 2019 we were on the Explorer and the fireworks were on in Funchal. I would expect that they are on this year and hopefully it will be as spectacular as before. Most people do put on the effort, and it will be a great occasion - enjoy!

IMG_4476.jpeg

1 hour ago, pblack05 said:

Have done this itinerary twice before and the dress to impress is indeed on NYE/Hogmany. For 2019 we were on the Explorer and the fireworks were on in Funchal. I would expect that they are on this year and hopefully it will be as spectacular as before. Most people do put on the effort, and it will be a great occasion - enjoy!

IMG_4476.jpeg

We were anchored off Funchal on NYE 2019 (not with Marella, but we saw their ship) and the fireworks were incredible. Even though the weather was rotten I would definitely recommend being there on New Years Eve! 

The new year fireworks in Funchal are excellent and hopefully Explorer will be berthed in which case you have the fireworks coming at you from the town and barges anchored outside the harbour. The xmas lights are good too and this year Explorer is spending 2 full days in Funchal. They switch on the lights the evening of the first day, nice one Marella 🙂

On 10/25/2022 at 1:26 PM, pblack05 said:

IMG_4476.jpeg

Seen this one NYE and was spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on this cruise to celebrate our Golden 50th Wedding on 30th and of course the fireworks on NYE the next night...so either of those would be a good celebration night for us to dress up. Is it definitely a jacket for gents or will smart trousers and shirt do?    I have mobility issues and wondered how far it is to walk from the ship up to town centre Avenida Arragia to see the Christmas lights and Market stalls etc. The tuktuks and taxis are not offering tours on that night. Maybe we'll see you all onboarf

Smart trousers and a shirt will be just fine, with a collar. I wear black chinos and a fancy patterned shirt. It more dress to impress night or gala night than a 'formal' night although lots of people do dress formally.

If Explorer berths at the outer end of the mole it is about a mile to Avenida Arragia, inner end somewhat less. The best place to view the fireworks is from a ship in the harbour.