Cruise as college graduation gift for trans son?

junglejane

Hi. I'm the parent of a transgender son. He is graduating from college in May and wants to go on a cruise as a graduation present, and take his girl friend. Son is 22 and GF is 19. Son has not done a legal name change yet (plans to do it later in summer 2023 after starting new job where they know he's trans). So all identity documents such as passport, driver license etc still show the female name. The photos are at least fairly recent.

We are longtime Princess cruisers but looking at a cruise on the Carnival Panorama for him because it has the itinerary he wants (Mexican Riviera -- Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo). The other option is a California Coastal itinerary on Princess (San Diego, San Francisco, Ensenada). He particularly wants to go zip lining and the Mexico itinerary appeals to him more. He's been to all those ports before on past cruises with us. GF hasn't been to any of them. 

My impression at least of Princess is that they are LGBT friendly but haven't updated their processes to anticipate things like preferred names and pronouns. Any feedback, suggestions on this? 

I read the other thread about "Trans Woman on Board" but wondered if you all have other feedback for our situation. Anything we or he should be aware of, or tips to make this the most successful experience possible?

I would call guest services and ask them how the cruise line handle the situation. He may have issues if all of his legal documentation has not been legally changed. As far as the 2 cruise lines go and for what he wants to do, I would say go on the Carnival Panorama as that would be a younger crowd and more to do. Ziplining in Puerto Vallarta would be the best port this as well. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, junglejane said:

He is graduating from college in May and wants to go on a cruise as a graduation present, and take his girl friend. Son is 22 and GF is 19. 

We are longtime Princess cruisers but looking at a cruise on the Carnival Panorama for him because it has the itinerary he wants

Do you intend to go on the same cruise as them? If not, Carnival's age policy is going to throw a wrench into your plans. A 19-year-old requires a guardian that is at least 25 years of age.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/related/1

• Like 1

I agree with Mrbp1 - call the cruise line and ask the questions directly from them.  I have done this as a gay man in the past, and although I feel that I got a DEI type of rehearsed and trained response, it showed me that the cruise line at least had a robust DEI policy and the customer service team was well equipped to answer my questions.

You really want to hear the cruise line's policy and responses directly from them.  Our experience online is great to get, but always go to the source as well.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, junglejane said:

I think that Princess only requires that one person in the stateroom be over 21.

That does appear to be correct per their passage contract:

"Guest under 21 years of age must travel in a stateroom with a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise."

Also of note from their contract since it applies to the age situation here:

"When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Carrier requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. Carrier has implemented this requirement so that Your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in Your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port."

• Thanks 1