Taino Cruise Port to Playa Dorado Beach

jkloni

Visiting Puerto Plata, DR, docking at Taino cruise port.   Anyone with information about going to Playa Dorado Beach?  Taxi costs?  Where on the beach?  Which beach bar/resort/restaurant?  Information is scarce and hoping that those that have been in recent months can offer info.  

Any and all help is appreciated!

Edited by jkloni

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just to loop back in - we had a wonderful day in Puerta Plata at Playa Dorada beach.  We debarked the ship and walked thru the port area to the taxis.  We got a taxi that took us to Playa Dorada. It was $10pp each way - $20 each - there were 6 of us - and he stayed with us the whole time.  He offered a tour of the city, but we declined and asked that he bring us to the beach, to Blue JackTar Kite & Grill.  The beach was big and nice and was not crowded.  We had our pick of chairs and the were complimentary and we purchased some drinks.  We at lunch there and it was great.  On our way back he brought us into town to see the umbrella street and a couple of other things.  We had a really nice day. Happy to answer any questions.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 8:38 PM, jkloni said:

Just to loop back in - we had a wonderful day in Puerta Plata at Playa Dorada beach.  We debarked the ship and walked thru the port area to the taxis.  We got a taxi that took us to Playa Dorada. It was $10pp each way - $20 each - there were 6 of us - and he stayed with us the whole time.  He offered a tour of the city, but we declined and asked that he bring us to the beach, to Blue JackTar Kite & Grill.  The beach was big and nice and was not crowded.  We had our pick of chairs and the were complimentary and we purchased some drinks.  We at lunch there and it was great.  On our way back he brought us into town to see the umbrella street and a couple of other things.  We had a really nice day. Happy to answer any questions.  

Thanks for this info! Did you have to reserve with Jack tar beforehand or can you just walk in?

• 9 months later...

Hi all - I'm so sorry I haven't replied.  I didn't get the notifications. 

-Our taxi driver stayed with us the whole time so we didn't have to find a taxi to get back to the ship.

-I did contact Jack's and was able to tell them we were coming, but it didn't seem necessary.

- There were very few other people on the beach were we were.  Though I think I read that things may have changed and now a group tour comes into that area. Not sure though.

- The chairs to sit on the beach were free for us.  We walked to the restaurant for drinks (except the first time when a server came and took an order and brought our drinks).

- We also ate at the restaurant outside covered seating and it was very nice and inexpensive.

-There is a little area next to the restaurant where tents are sent up where people are selling different things.  We didn't go far into it.

We have been back to Puerto Playa, but went to Amber Cove instead of Taino Bay.  We decided not to go back to Jack's because it is a bit further from Amber Cove then it is to Taino Bay.    We are going back to Puerto Playa in February, to Amber Cove.  So not sure what we will do this time.