Hurtigruten cancels cruises stopping in Callao (Lima)

PhD-iva

3 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

My tour guide in Lima had some cancellations today from Hurtigruten pax as their entire cruise has been canceled due to stringent COVID  restrictions for cruise ships stopping at Callao (Lima).

Here’s a portion of the post on the Hurtigruten forum

I have just had notification from Hurtigruten that my entire tour (Galápagos islands, Ancient History and Highlights of South America) has been cancelled.

………

This is the reason we were given in the email:

Peruvian authorities currently operate strict COVID-19 regulations, including a full ship quarantine if there is a single positive case on board. We liaised closely with Peruvian authorities and received signals from local partners that these stringent infection control measures would be lifted in time for your expedition. However, we have not received confirmation from authorities that such restrictions have been removed.

After careful consideration and consultation with relevant authorities, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel your upcoming expedition due to the potential impact on our guests, crew and ship. The cancellation also applies to any hotels, flights, and pre- and post-cruise programmes booked through Hurtigruten Expeditions. We are very sorry for this development.

Here’s a link to that thread in the Hurtigruten forum. Hopefully more information will be shared. I’m booked on Mariner’s 3 November cruise LA to Lima…..or, I thought I was! 🤔

• Like 1

Mariner not scheduled to arrive in Peru until 17 November; plenty of time for the Peruvian authorities to decide that money is better than not having money. Also, it is Regent policy not to test anyone unless it is deemed "medically necessary,"  All Mariner has to do is not test anyone for the five days prior to arrival in Peru and magically there will be no cases onboard.  Now, with respect to the Norovirus cases AFTER leaving Lima. . . . .

• Like 1

Mrlevin, I hope you are correct. There has been an updated post on the thread on the Hurtigruten forum. It appears that now their expedition cruise is not canceled but will be rerouted to completely avoid Perú.