Can we text our friends who are cruising with us while onboard without wifi package?

tbmrt

Can we text our friends who are cruising with us while onboard without wifi package? If so, do we keep our phone in airplane mode?

I seem to remember other ships having this capability without paying for wifi package.

1 hour ago, rigs32 said:

Outside of the app, no.  You need either wifi or cell phone service to make that happen.  There has to be some sort of service to coordinate the data moving from one phone to another.

I think @tbmrt is looking at Meraviglia, so assuming he and his friends install the app on their phones, they should be alright.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

I think @tbmrt is looking at Meraviglia, so assuming he and his friends install the app on their phones, they should be alright.

That's why I specifically said that OUTSIDE of the app they could not.

18 hours ago, rigs32 said:

That's why I specifically said that OUTSIDE of the app they could not.

Calm down! I just meant that on Meraviglia he would have the app.  Wasn't arguing with you, just adding information.

The chat feature is for ages 16 and over only? That makes no sense to me. When I sail in December I will have a 15 yo and 14 yo. I guess I will end up having to purchase some kind of internet package to communicate with them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, tbmrt said:

THANKS SO MUCH!

After last week, I can add clarification. On the App, you sign to messaging, and then can designate who you would like to chat with.  They also must be signed in and show as willing to communicate with the others in your group.  Just did it with DW and I (I tend to roam the ship, and she tends to stay put on the sun deck), and it worked well for messaging IM style. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 1:56 PM, JAGR said:

After last week, I can add clarification. On the App, you sign to messaging, and then can designate who you would like to chat with.  They also must be signed in and show as willing to communicate with the others in your group.  Just did it with DW and I (I tend to roam the ship, and she tends to stay put on the sun deck), and it worked well for messaging IM style. 

I was on the Meraviglia a year ago today.  The Msc for Me app was worthless on an Android phone and there was no texting.  I was told that functionality was only on Apple phones.  It has been a year so unknown if that has changed.  Can anyone confirm texting is available on Android or is it still an Apple only thing?

15 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

I was on the Meraviglia a year ago today.  The Msc for Me app was worthless on an Android phone and there was no texting.  I was told that functionality was only on Apple phones.  It has been a year so unknown if that has changed.  Can anyone confirm texting is available on Android or is it still an Apple only thing?

Texting via the app worked fine for me on the Seashore 3 weeks ago on a Google Pixel 6.