Carnival Glory Sep 11 - 18 My Quick Review.

Oakman58

We were on the Glory in September and here’s a short review.

OUR CABIN

We loved our aft-wrap cabin 7445.  It had excellent storage space and lots of natural lighting with the windows.  The bed was a little too soft for my liking and it gave me a stiff back but my wife was good with it.  I love the hinged door to the balcony vs. the sliding doors on NCL.  The wrap-around balcony was awesome.  The temperature in our room was always between 69 and 71 degrees, very comfortable.  We had the Value wifi package and it worked quite well in our cabin and the rest of the ship for that matter.  I wasn’t a fan of the safe in our cabin because it required a card with a magnetic strip to open and close which meant only the person with the card could open it.  I prefer keypad safes.

THE FOOD

Wife and I disagree on some aspects of the food in the main dining room.  She wasn’t a fan of most of the dishes while I enjoyed everything except for the lobster tail which was tasteless.  Guys Burger Joint, without question we both agree it is the best hamburger you can have at sea, on any cruise line.  The Ol’ Fashioned BBQ was very good also and you had a choice of three of Guy’s BBQ sauces.  We ate breakfast at the buffet most mornings and it was good but careful with the scrambled eggs, they can be watery at times.  We also ate breakfast twice in the Platinum dining room where service and food were good.  The Deli was good for a sandwich but the Rueben was tragic, no dressing and you couldn’t taste the sauerkraut.  They should rename it Corned-Beef sandwich. We both enjoyed the Pizzeria which was popular late in the evening.   Neither of us liked the food at the Seafood Shack and it certainly wasn’t worth paying for.  The food at the Blue Iguana Cantina was good also, but it’s hard to mess up Mexican.  The meal we had in the Steakhouse was outstanding.

THE CREW

The crew was awesome, you couldn’t ask for better.  The same goes for our cabin steward who always made sure he fulfilled our few requests.

ENTERTAINMENT

We loved the design of the theater on the Glory. The theater shows were entertaining but not the production quality we've seen on NCL.  Two shows in the theater, Showdown and Love and Marriage were very funny mainly due to the host and Cruise Director Christian.  We also watched Deal or No Deal in the theater and one stage participant walked away with $350 which is the most I’ve ever seen anyone win in that game.  The stage participant in the second game walked away with just $10.  The theater production of Getaway Island with Carnival’s singers and dancers was very entertaining.  The Cruise Director Christian was the best CD we’ve experienced in our 17 previous cruises with various cruise lines.  There were a lot of trivia and other games played in the Atrium which was entertaining.

COMEDY

We watched the early show of 3 of the 4 comedians that were onboard in the Punchliner Club.  Only one was somewhat funny while the other 2 were lousy.  I had to wonder how they got into that line of work, not funny.  One of those 2 was fired the next cruise after ours because of use of the “N” word in his routine.  Something is wrong when the Cruise Director is not only more entertaining but also much funnier than the comedians.

THE SHIP

I had read some reviews that said the Glory was starting to show her age but I didn’t find this to be the case.  I thought she looked clean and beautiful.  For me personally though, the ship’s layout was a big negative.  I didn’t like the “you can’t get there from here” layout on decks 3 and 4.  Our assigned dining table was on deck three so after dinner you had to take the elevator to go anywhere on the ship.  I also didn’t like that the Glory didn’t have a wrap-around promenade deck.  Finally, on deck 10 there are two restaurants but no restrooms…I mean really?  You had to go down to the Lido deck to use a bathroom.  The layout is the reason I probably would not cruise on her again unless she was sailing to ports I wanted to see and at a great price.

COVID

The morning we debarked the shipped I was feeling a bit wonky.  We had a long travel day to get back home and by that time I knew I was sick.  The next morning, Monday, I tested myself and was positive for Covid even though I was fully vaccinated and boosted.  My doctor prescribed the Paxlovid treatment.  Unfortunately I was one of the lucky ones and 2 days after treatment I had Covid rebound and tested positive again.  I’m find now but I’m questioning my judgement about going on future cruises.

The above is just my opinion so YMMV.

• Thanks 3

Guest BasicSailor
9 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

We ate breakfast at the buffet most mornings and it was good but careful with the scrambled eggs, they can be watery at times.

Sorry about the Covid, ships seem to be a soup kitchen for this virus🤐 Did you know they will serve you fresh cracked eggs in the omelet line 😉

Edited by BasicSailor

18 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Sorry about the Covid, ships seem to be a soup kitchen for this virus🤐 Did you know they will serve you fresh cracked eggs in the omelet line 😉

Yes, I used the omelet station twice to get 3 eggs over easy on our first two days.  When we went to the Platinum restaurant I would order eggs benedict.  The eggs were done perfectly but I didn't like the thick piece of ham they put on the muffin.  I prefer Canadian Bacon.  Speaking of bacon, on days when they are not serving bacon in the buffet you can always get bacon at the restaurant.

We were on the cruise right after yours. I think your comment on the comedian being fired explains why we only had one comedian for the first three days.

We also found the Glory to be in excellent condition. We sail her often and they did a two week wet dock in Freeport early this year and have continued to upgrade things. On our cruise after yours it was apparent they had resurfaced many of the table tops in the public ares and they were reupholstering the furniture on the Promenade a sitting area at a time when we were there. The Glory, at least, is a change from Carnival's past practice of fixing up a ship then doing no maintenance until it is a rust bucket. They are not only maintaining but constantly renewing that ship.

The room safe thing is strange. They have been slowly replacing those card opened safes on Glory with keypad safes, but it has been at a snails pace. I think they wait until an old style breaks before they replace it with a keypad safe. We almost always stay on the same hallway when we sail Glory and we had though they had changed all the safes. But then we stayed in a cabin we had not been in before that was between two we had been in and it had a card open safe!

The deck 3 dining area really is a mess since the galley blocks all ways forward from the dining room. But if you are willing to walk up one flight of stairs to deck 4 you can walk to the mid ship elevator bank. On deck four the first room forward of the aft elevators is the Ivory Bar. It is a very nice place that is seldom used. We sometimes go there to sit in silent luxury. The bar is only open for special occasions, but the room is wonderful and always open. Anyhow, if you walk through it there is an exit to a hallway on the starboard side that goes all the way to the mid ship elevators and the back entrance to the Golden dining room. Usually you the doors to the Golden dining room are open and you can walk all the way to the forward elevators.

Guest BasicSailor
On 10/7/2022 at 10:23 AM, Oakman58 said:

We were on the Glory in September and here’s a short review.

The above is just my opinion so YMMV.

6 hours ago, jebby said:

Yes, I used the omelet station twice to get 3 eggs over easy on our first two days. 

Will the real OP, please stand up 😁

See the source image

On 10/7/2022 at 4:14 PM, slavigne5577 said:

Anyone been on Glory after June that can say whether the Chef's Table is being offered. It is still not showing as a possibility for our January 15th cruise.

Wish I could help but we have never looked for the Chef's Table so I don't know.

11 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Will the real OP, please stand up 😁

See the source image

LOL, I forgot that I was on my wife's computer when I responded under Jebby.  Oh well, she needs to have a higher post count anyway.  😆

• Haha 1