Cruising noob - Help needed - NCL Joy - NY to Bermuda - Nov 5

CT-Scott

So in my (and my wife's) defense, my wife just pointed me to the email she received from the Bermuda government 3 days ago (!!!) (October 15th) which states that we do need a pre-test and provides a link to this page:

https://www.gov.bm/covid-19-tests-accepted-bermuda

...which doesn't appear to have that "updated" info.

I'm not at all surprised that a government website might be providing confusing/outdated info.

11 minutes ago, CT-Scott said:

So in my (and my wife's) defense, my wife just pointed me to the email she received from the Bermuda government 3 days ago (!!!) (October 15th) which states that we do need a pre-test and provides a link to this page:

https://www.gov.bm/covid-19-tests-accepted-bermuda

...which doesn't appear to have that "updated" info.

I'm not at all surprised that a government website might be providing confusing/outdated info.

I think it says that because they're not distinguishing arrival dates and the same email is going to passengers arriving before the 25th. After October 25 when the testing requirement is dropped they'll probably get around to correcting the information.

By the way, if you read the linked page carefully you'll see that an antigen test was also acceptable under the outgoing rules. PCR wasn't required.

A valid pre-travel COVID-19 test must be a COVID-19 NAAT test listed below or a supervised antigen test.

Edited by njhorseman

For anyone who cares (I'm sure that most of you don't), here's the full text of the email that was sent (JUST 3 DAYS AGO!):

coat_of_arms_of_Bermuda_100x148.png

Bermuda Government Travel Authorisation Application

Your Application #: XXXXXX

Saturday, 05 November 2022
Bermuda Travel Authorisation (By Sea) (Cruise Passenger) 

xxxxx xxxxxxx

Upload and view your documents:
If you have test results to upload, please use this link.

TotalCost: $40.00

Connect With Us:

Phone: COVID hotline +1 (441) 444-2498 (open 9am to 8pm)

Email: TAapprovals@gov.bm

Bermuda Travel Authorisation (By Sea) (Cruise Passenger) Notes:

Dear Traveller,

You have successfully submitted your travel authorisation application.

Your application will be reviewed between 9am and 8pm to ensure that the vaccine certificate you have uploaded meets Bermuda's Vaccination requirement.

• As of May 21, 2022 you may NOT have to upload your Pre-Test, but you MUST have a Pre-test available to show to board the ship.  
  • Follow the instructions on the next email you receive.
  • Once your application is approved, you will receive an email with a link to your Travel Authorisation document.  Please download or print this document to have in hand for presentation at Check In.
  • If your application is rejected, you will be notified as to why it was denied.

You ARE required to have a valid Pre-test in hand to board the ship -  requirements as outlined here.

IMPORTANT: All Visitors must apply for and complete a Bermuda COVID-19 Travel Authorisation prior to embarkation to Bermuda in order to travel to the island.

If you intend to travel in the next 24 hours and need an emergency Travel Authorisation issued, please contact Bermuda's COVID hotline on +1-441-444-2498 or on Toll Free Number (1-833-570-2594) between 9am and 8pm Atlantic Time.

The Travel Authorisation fee is non-refundable and will show on your bank statement as BDA TRAVEL AUTHORIZATIONS  
Please keep this email as your receipt of purchase.

Bermuda Travel Authorisation (By Sea) (Cruise Passenger) Cancellation Policy:

Your credit card will be charged by The Government of Bermuda. 
Please keep this as your receipt.

The Travel Authorisation fee is non-refundable and will show on your bank statement as BDA TRAVEL AUTHORIZATIONS

Please read the site's Terms and Conditions.

7 minutes ago, CT-Scott said:

For anyone who cares (I'm sure that most of you don't), here's the full text of the email that was sent (JUST 3 DAYS AGO!):

We don't because we know it's wrong for passengers arriving on and after October 25. 😉

Seriously...it really is bad when a governmental agency sends out misinformation. Who knows how many people will take unnecessary tests because of it.

Edited by njhorseman

In regard to bidding on room upgrades, there are several room types which, according to another website's booking process, aren't available.  Does it make any sense to bid on these room types?  I guess there's still a chance that someone in one of those rooms cancels or changes rooms, so maybe it's not a complete waste of time?

FWIW, in March 2020 we were in cabin #12908 aft on Bliss (similar layout to Joy).  We booked it for the huge balcony.  It was exactly 220 steps from cabin door to forward-most stairs/elevator going up to Haven entrance.  I loved it - gave  me an opportunity to walk off those fabulous Haven  meals it - but Jim didn’t.  Biggest negative was the long trek back to the cabin after meals, or if we forgot something from the cabin.... Now we only book in Haven proper, and I have to agreed with Jim that the convenience of being near Haven amenities far outweighs a larger aft balcony.  

Patricia

22 hours ago, CT-Scott said:

In regard to bidding on room upgrades, there are several room types which, according to another website's booking process, aren't available.  Does it make any sense to bid on these room types?  I guess there's still a chance that someone in one of those rooms cancels or changes rooms, so maybe it's not a complete waste of time?

Just because a particular room type looks sold out, doesn't mean on the day of sailing that it actually is. We bid on the 3br garden villa on the Star which had been sold out for months. The night before we flew to Spain for our trip we got the alert that our bid was accepted.

People cancel at the last minute, people miss their flights... you never know what may happen. Bid on the rooms you want and hope for the best.

21 hours ago, PatJim said:

Biggest negative was the long trek back to the cabin after meals, or if we forgot something from the cabin.... Now we only book in Haven proper, and I have to agreed with Jim that the convenience of being near Haven amenities far outweighs a larger aft balcony.  

Patricia

If you sail on the Joy, consider looking at the HH, HI, and HJ cabins. They're outside of the Haven proper area, but not nearly as far as the aft or forward facing cabins. Rooms are cheaper than the courtyard ones with bigger balconies, so a double win in our eyes.

• Like 1