Simply Silver Hotel Warning

CinciCruise

17 hours ago, les37b said:

Unfortunately SS are stating they cannot be held accountable for any third party mishaps as they are out of their control and effectively down to you.

So if your Taxi that SS has provided, or your flight cancelled or late, then it's down to you.

At least that's how it reads to me in the T&Cs

Whether that's put into practice may be debatable.

Never had any problems with a hotel given until January just gone and in a hotel we've been given before in Fort Lauderdale. I probably would ask to stay somewhere else when we return in Jan 2024, though accept the series of events were probably not indicative, but still gives cause for concern.

If your flight is late, or cancelled, or you miss your flight connection because of a delay, and are downgraded to economy when you paid for an upgrade to business class, it's the airline that has to come up with the payback. Unfortunately, it goes back to the cruise line if they booked it on your behalf and you have to request it back from them. We had this happen on a Viking River cruise, and eventually got the money back from them that Delta paid back for having too short a time between flights, resulting in us flying economy from Atlanta to Amsterdam rather than the business class seats we had paid for.

12 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We had problems with the IC in Papeete. Between the Costco discount drinking crowd, locals throwing parties, and tired rooms we are thrilled the Hilton opened. Will be there in January, and glad there is now another option for an arrival and departure hotel close to the airport!

Give NZ another chance, it's not the country,  it's the type of traveler that comes from everywhere. 

Screenshot_20221112-082852_Gallery.jpg

We have stayed numerous times at the IC Papeete, since the Paul Gauguin always had pre and post hotel stays available there, and day rooms if you weren't staying there overnight. The day rooms were usually well worn, but add on nights we paid for were always nice rooms, that had recently been renovated. I had read that they had eventually renovated the wing used for day rooms (closer to the airport), but we had stopped doing the day room thing by then. From those we talked to at the hotel, the overwater bungalows were often hard to sleep in due to waves underneath. We had a great 2 weeks in overwater bungalows on Bora Bora (Sofitel Marara), and Moorea (Beachcomber which later became IC), back in 1995, and when we decided to go back in 2017, it was cheaper to take a cruise.

We never ran into the Costco discount people there, but they were everywhere in the Cook Islands, and it's a good reason not to go there. We did have problems with the hotel being available for day use by the locals who normally partied at the bar all day (usually with drinks from their own coolers) while their kids filled the pool with no adult supervision. They also had a BMW dealer take over the hotel during the day, using the entire area that cruise passengers need to use after they're kicked out of their rooms and are waiting for the bus to the cruise port. They were offering test drives from the parking area so we tried to sign up for one, but they said it was open to residents only. We asked why they were at a hotel full of tourists if it was for residents only, but they had no answer for that.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:34 AM, kh76sp said:

My husband and I are booked Door to Door on the cruise from Tokyo to Seward in May '23. Our return flights back - upgraded to Business - leave a LOT to be desired (departing 01:25am the following morning from Anchorage after debarkation)  We have been trying to get it changed, but there will be a deviation charge, my TA says, because it has been more than 2 weeks since booking! We are NOT PLEASED with this first dealing with SilverSea and are thinking of backing out of the door to door and booking our own air and transports.

It seems strange too that we are flying into NRT when HND is so much closer to the port. Does anyone have experience in changing their booking from Door to Door to Port to Port? Has it been difficult?

Until very recently there were restrictions in Japan such that people could not transfer between the two airports.  Not all airlines had their usual slots available either as the country reopened.  Within the limits, travel companies had to work around these restrictions.  My Singapore Airlines flight for March 2023 should have been to Haneda, but has ended up at Narita because the original flights were not yet reinstated.

• Like 1