Can you pay for the ferry onboard?

molly361

8 hours ago, molly361 said:

Or do you have to buy a ticket at the terminal?

You can walk on and pay $5 cash at boarding at the Dockyard. Or you can buy a token for $4.50 at the Kiosk on the dock or Visitor Info Centre. For return in St. George same $5 or at VIC buy a token. In Hamilton there is a terminal or pay $5 at boarding. I usually buy two tokens at the Dockyard VIC, one for return but USD cash is accepted at the boat. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, Charles4515 said:

You can walk on and pay $5 cash at boarding at the Dockyard. Or you can buy a token for $4.50 at the Kiosk on the dock or Visitor Info Centre. For return in St. George same $5 or at VIC buy a token. In Hamilton there is a terminal or pay $5 at boarding. I usually buy two tokens at the Dockyard VIC, one for return but USD cash is accepted at the boat. 

Charles, please remind me. If paying on board in cash, will they take US paper currency? I seem to have a weird recollection about needing quarters. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Charles, please remind me. If paying on board in cash, will they take US paper currency? I seem to have a weird recollection about needing quarters. Thanks. 

Your recollecion probably comes from the buses. They want the exact fare in coins  on the buses because the coins go into a fare collection box. So on the buses they don't want paper.  For the ferry you are handing over your cash to a ferry worker. It is not going into a fare box. They have been taking paper currency (USD). My guess is the ferry workers would probably prefer paper currency to being handed a bunch of coins. I would give them the exact amount if paying with bills. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

One thing we did which wouldn't always work:  I mentioned to the ferry worker that we were sorry we couldn't buy the 15 tickets that are not available at the Dockyard.  He told us not to pay and he took us into the ticket office in Hamilton where we bought the tickets and gave him 2 of the tickets for our fare.  The tickets can be shared and are 15 for $37.50.  If you want to use public transport for more than one day, they work well.  It probably only worked because the ferry only had a few passengers.