Birthday - Who to Notify?

ricka47

It will be my wife's 70th birthday when we are on the Insignia in December.  I asked our O Travel Planner (no TA on this one) to note it but I'm not sure what they will do. I'm curious what others have done to make a special event memorable on board?

Edited by ricka47

From the Cruise Vacation Guide: General Travel and Onboard Information, p. 15:

SPECIAL OCCASIONS: Please advise Oceania Cruises at least 60 days prior to departure of any special occasions that you will be celebrating while aboard. It is also recommended that you reconfirm your request with the Concierge upon embarkation.

We notified our butler( we were in a suite) on board.  I had brought some decorations and asked the butler to please put it up.  He also added about 10 balloons.  He notified the restaurant and they provided a cake. 

On our recent Riviera cruise, the only thing we did ask for, as we had a reservation at one of the specialities on the birthday, was for a window table, requested directly to the Maitre D' a day or so before. And I warn you if the birthday boy or girl would be totally embarrassed by a very loud "happy birthday" singalong by the staff, then ask for no fuss - they will then just discretely bring you a birthday cake before dessert and wish you happy birthday.  Imagine our surprise when we returned from dinner the room was all decorated with balloons etc.  We hadn't mentioned the birthday to anyone else or requested any special  fuss.  

We discovered on the Cruise Director's "TV news channel" I think it is called "Riviera Today" (?) that they put up a list of folk's birthdays and special anniversaries with their names - on the actual day of birthday, anniversary - so coming from the Concierge/Purser/Reception?   I discovered it quite by accident.  I imagine that's where the stateroom decorations came from.

Edited by Segmentersfloattheboat
  • Like 1