Royal up "pending"

Need some advice please - I placed a bid on 3 categories of cabins.

Untill yesterday I was able to modify or cancel - but now 2 categories say "expired" and 1 category says "pending"

I assume I won that category - but when will the cabin # be assigned as there are a few cabins left in that category.....some good some not so good...

Thanks for your input!

Pending does not guarantee you’ve won. It just means your bid hasn’t yet been rejected and has made it through to the “maybe” pile. 

If you are successful cabins can be allocated anytime from now until departure day - sometimes even after the ship’s set sail.

If you have the RC app on an iPhone you may be able to use the Apple Wallet trick to see your new cabin number on your Setsail pass, if it’s been allocated yet.

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

If you have the RC app on an iPhone you may be able to use the Apple Wallet trick to see your new cabin number on your Setsail pass, if it’s been allocated yet.

That only works to find the cabin for a GTY booking, doesn’t work for Royal Up. By the time you win a Royal Up, the new cabin number should be shown on the Setsail pass. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

if I have not won.....

Why can't I modify or cancel?

You didn’t win - there would be a charge on your credit card and a new cabin assignment (and likely an email). Bids sometimes get stuck like that - you may need to call to unlock/cancel it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Interesting fact:

The category that is "pending" has 11 cabins available 18 days out.

The expired bids have 0 and 2 cabins available....

Here’s my take:  RoyalUp is considering your pending bid, and they’d rather you did not alter it while they do so. Disabling the online cancel/modify function, discourages you from doing so. (If your credit card has not been charged and you really want to cancel that bid, call immediately to try to cancel the bid).

If you do win, your first indication will be credit card activity.  Then the email from RoyalUp.  As you can see 11 cabins, if you do win, there is a good chance it will be one of those 11, but it may be a different cabin entirely.  You may be placed in a cabin just vacated by somebody who won a RoyalUp bid on a higher category (who is now in a cabin just vacated by somebody who won a RoyalUp bid on yet a higher category, etc).  Thus you cannot know where RoyalUp will place you.  Before bidding be sure you will be happy enough in any of the cabins in that category.

• Thanks 2

I received notice of an 'accepted bid' yesterday - 26 days out ..... new cabin number was immediately available ....

The notice msg wording shows that this notice COULD be as late as after boarding . . . 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

I received notice of an 'accepted bid' yesterday - 26 days out ..... new cabin number was immediately available ....

The notice msg wording shows that this notice COULD be as late as after boarding . . . 

I realize this but wording also says you can cancel any time until 2 hours before boarding!

So anyway - if it is not accepted until 24 hours before boarding - will call and cancel the remaining bid!

Not interested in a last minute upgrade at all!

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

I realize this but wording also says you can cancel any time until 2 hours before boarding!

So anyway - if it is not accepted until 24 hours before boarding - will call and cancel the remaining bid!

Not interested in a last minute upgrade at all!

I cannot make any promises (I do not work for RoyalUp!), but I do not believe RoyalUp intends to delay decision on your pending bid that long.  

Many pending bids (that cannot be modified or canceled) are processed within a day, though there have been reports of some staying in that status for a week or more. You said you are 18 days out; I will be very surprised if they do not make a decision on your bid within 15-16 days (and probably sooner).

If you want the upgrade, being moved to that pending status is a positive sign.  At least you seem to be in the running for the upgrade; that is more than most bidders can say right now.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Thanks for the input!

I'll report back....

This time I'm a bit undecided if I really want the upgrade - so if it doesn't happen - I have a very nice cabin to keep and save the money the upgrade would cost.... so it better be quick before I change my mind 🤣

There are multiple threads detailing GTY rooms which include great detailed discussions about Royal Up. Many of the threads do not always reflect the thread topic name and can quickly move into other discussion areas. Read the ones with "Guarantee, GTY, Royal-Up, or Upgrade" in the topic area.

11 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Thanks for the input!

I'll report back....

This time I'm a bit undecided if I really want the upgrade - so if it doesn't happen - I have a very nice cabin to keep and save the money the upgrade would cost.... so it better be quick before I change my mind 🤣

Oh, sorry to hear you are not enthusiastic about a possible upgrade.  I’m not unhappy when I lose (most people do) and stay in my original cabin, but I do hope to win.  Only you can know whether you should try to cancel the bid or not.

OK I can report back that "pending" means you have won the upgrade - but they are in the process of charging you!

As they have problems with my international credit cards - the process stalled.

Will try if they are able to help over the phone as online there seems to be no way to do it.

Intersting but as I said before - not that exited about the upgrade anyway but will go ahead if I can solve the charging problem...

My email says that I may not be awarded my bid until 2 hours after embarkation.  What a crock.  In effect, your baggage is on a cart headed to your original cabin assignment, maybe even in the hallway outside the original cabin assignment, and your not even going to that cabin.  Then the process of getting your luggage married up with you again, begins.  

However, my bid, I'm about 99% sure, isn't going to be won as there aren't any Suites left that I bid on.  Oh well.  

image.png.375bba4119b630ba6e5405c0d720e058.png

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

My email says that I may not be awarded my bid until 2 hours after embarkation.  What a crock.  In effect, your baggage is on a cart headed to your original cabin assignment, maybe even in the hallway outside the original cabin assignment, and your not even going to that cabin.  Then the process of getting your luggage married up with you again, begins.  

However, my bid, I'm about 99% sure, isn't going to be won as there aren't any Suites left that I bid on.  Oh well.  

image.png.375bba4119b630ba6e5405c0d720e058.png

Just take charge of the situation.  Decide how late you are willing to wait for an upgrade.  

Let’s say you decide you want to know the night before, so you can easily re-do your luggage tags.  If you have not received the upgrade by then cancel your bid.  

Your desperate friend might decide they want the shot at upgrade not matter how late it inconvenient…even if it comes after they are on board.  Your friend won’t cancel his bids and might even check his stateroom phone for a message from guest services (he will almost certainly be disappointed, but that’s his problem)

RoyalUp did not know which one of you would be willing to move even after boarding the ship.  By canceling your bids, you told them you made it clear to them.  If there was a last minute upgrade due to a cancellation, they would not bother you.

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Just take charge of the situation.  Decide how late you are willing to wait for an upgrade.  

Let’s say you decide you want to know the night before, so you can easily re-do your luggage tags.  If you have not received the upgrade by then cancel your bid.  

Your desperate friend might decide they want the shot at upgrade not matter how late it inconvenient…even if it comes after they are on board.  Your friend won’t cancel his bids and might even check his stateroom phone for a message from guest services (he will almost certainly be disappointed, but that’s his problem)

RoyalUp did not know which one of you would be willing to move even after boarding the ship.  By canceling your bids, you told them you made it clear to them.  If there was a last minute upgrade due to a cancellation, they would not bother you.

Sorry, I don't know where you are getting the "My Friend" from, especially "my desperate friend" thing.  I'm only talking about my wife and I and my wife is not desperate.  No, this is not a pissed off post to your post.  I just don't know where you got that unless you are thinking my use of the word "your" was intended for someone else specifically.  No, my use of the word "your" was in general. If that's the case, I did not intend it to be that way. 

51 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Sorry, I don't know where you are getting the "My Friend" from, especially "my desperate friend" thing.  I'm only talking about my wife and I and my wife is not desperate.  No, this is not a pissed off post to your post.  I just don't know where you got that unless you are thinking my use of the word "your" was intended for someone else specifically.  No, my use of the word "your" was in general. If that's the case, I did not intend it to be that way. 

I'm pretty sure they were talking in hypothetical terms, meaning that one person may be willing to wait until the very last minute to accept the upgrade, while another person isn't. So notifying the cruiseline as soon as possible when one knows they'd like to back out makes it easier and quicker for everyone because it takes the extra person out of the equation. 

Their use of the words "your" and "your friend" confused things because it implied they were talking about you personally, when they really intended to speak in generic terms (and therefore should have used generic terminology).

...I think anyway 

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Unfortunately once you are "Pending" there is nothing you can do - no help - no cancel - no modify they are not honoring to their terms and conditions!😥

8 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Sorry if it did not come across as intended, but I was giving two different hypothetical examples in the above post.  LOL, I knew you were not desperate from your earlier post.  So, for you I hypothetically suggested that you decided to cancel the bid the night before.  (Obviously decide for yourself)

The second hypothetical example is quite different from you.  I did not mean to upset you by using the term friend; sorry. 

my post was meant to to helpful 

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Sorry if it did not come across as intended, but I was giving two different hypothetical examples in the above post.  LOL, I knew you were not desperate from your earlier post.  So, for you I hypothetically suggested that you decided to cancel the bid the night before.  (Obviously decide for yourself)

The second hypothetical example is quite different from you.  I did not mean to upset you by using the term friend; sorry. 

my post was meant to to helpful 

Gotchya 😉

Went into Royal Caribbean . com/account a minute ago and much to my non-surprise, my upcoming cruises aren't there.  My wife says it is all over Facebook that Royal IT is having issues this morning.  My response, "THIS MORNING".  

Before she said that, I was hoping that it was going to be them adjusting my reservation for this coming Monday as I may have won my RU bid.  No such luck.  Oh well, back to  hurry up and wait, again!

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Went into Royal Caribbean . com/account a minute ago and much to my non-surprise, my upcoming cruises aren't there.  My wife says it is all over Facebook that Royal IT is having issues this morning.  My response, "THIS MORNING".  

Before she said that, I was hoping that it was going to be them adjusting my reservation for this coming Monday as I may have won my RU bid.  No such luck.  Oh well, back to  hurry up and wait, again!

RCI is doing everything it can to enhance the excitement of boarding their vessels. This includes wondering if you can check-in, get your upgrade, pay your final 90-day deposit. That reminds me, many cruisers commented that it should be only paid on the day due. This is a good example of why it might behoove a final payment one or two days BEFORE due in case the system goes down. Just some more stress to make that vacation seem more relaxing. RCI likes to raise the stress level, so the cruise seems more relaxing. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

RCI is doing everything it can to enhance the excitement of boarding their vessels. This includes wondering if you can check-in, get your upgrade, pay your final 90-day deposit. That reminds me, many cruisers commented that it should be only paid on the day due. This is a good example of why it might behoove a final payment one or two days BEFORE due in case the system goes down. Just some more stress to make that vacation seem more relaxing. RCI likes to raise the stress level, so the cruise seems more relaxing. 😄

This question is for all you IT types in here.  If you messed up as many times and as much as Royal's IT seems to, would you still have a job.  I've fired employees just for not showing up to work on time (repeat offenders, of course).  I wonder how much it costs Royal every time they have a glitch like this and the other glitch examples I could give.