So confused - Spectrum mobile texting while on a cruise ship with no paid internet plan

tbmrt

I contacted Spectrum mobile about this and still am confused.

If I am on a cruise ship and do not have their internet plan....If I want to text people in the US, do I keep data roaming shut off and just text as  usual?

If I want to communicate with friends onboard, can I leave data roaming shut off and text as usual?

Electronically challenged I guess...Tx

6 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

I contacted Spectrum mobile about this and still am confused.

If I am on a cruise ship and do not have their internet plan....If I want to text people in the US, do I keep data roaming shut off and just text as  usual?

If I want to communicate with friends onboard, can I leave data roaming shut off and text as usual?

Electronically challenged I guess...Tx

True texting (e.g., SMS texts) requires cellular service (just like cellular voice at home). On many ships, satellite connection for cellular service is available. But, it is far more costly than WiFi (over which you can “instant message”). With WiFi you can use messaging apps like WhatsApp among “friends” who also have the App (and WiFi) or, if you have an iPhone you can instant message (iMessage) with any other iPhone owner when you both have cellular or WiFi internet.

Bottom line: unless a ship has an intranet setup (ship-only communications) available for free or at a small cost, you will need WiFi or satellite based cellular service (while at sea) to communicate by “texting”/“instant messaging.”

Yes, you can keep your data roaming off and not purchase internet and use texting. Did you discuss the cost with spectrum? Unless they have a cruise ship plan that is considered roaming, and you will get charged per text. If you are doing a once daily check in, it's probably not a big deal. If you are texting back and forth with friends all cruise, it will add up. And they will also have to have their cell service on to get them. If they are on wifi, they won't get your sms text. If you want to text with people onboard, you should all use the same methods of connection. Also, keep in mind that if you make any calls or accept any calls that you will also be charged per minute. 

You could also check with your cruise line's board. Some lines have a texting feature in their apps that you can use without internet. Sometimes for free, sometimes for a charge. Again, everyone in your group would have to choose the same option. 

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

If your are using SPECTRUM mobile, I agree that you are confused.  Highest prices for the worst service.

Wow Have to say I've been extremely satisfied with Spectrum

I went to a SPECTUM store and asked questions about their cell phone service - I use them for TV internet land line .....

I mentioned we travel and with VERIZON we can get easy international access - low cost - easy to turn on and off as we need it .....

SPECTRUM guy said NOPE ..... no way ......

BUT AS MENTIONED many lines now have enabled a phone to phone messaging service which uses the ship WiFi without touching off the ship internet (satellite) ... I realize this is technical stuff in part because 20 years ago I was on the threshold of buying these services for a fleet of ships .....

You need to ask about the ship you'll be on but for example on most Royal Carib' ships and Disney ships <and others I only have recent experience with these> once you load the company APP on to your phone you can establish person to person texting with others on the ship REGARDLESS of your service provider and with NO extra cost.

p.s. according to what I've read ROYAL's system will pass 'text messages' at no added cost / without a pay account but I can NOT attest to this