Question about accessing the port in Civitavecchia

hmorrow

We are cruising on apex on the 29th and our air b and b host has graciously offered to drive us to the port, but says he has to drop us outside, and we have to walk with our luggage to a bus for celebrity. We’ve stayed at the port before, and have had a shuttle drop us at the ship. Has the procedure changed.?

we really want to go straight to the ship and not hassle with the luggage. 
can anyone who has cruised from here recently, share their experience. Thanks

If you aren't from one of the 'approved' taxis you can't get all the way to the ship.

I've seen people just pick up taxi's without checking if they can get into the port and they get dropped off at the port gate and then have to get their luggage on a shuttle to the ship area.

You need to get your host to drop you at Largo della Pace. From there there is a free coach transfer service to the relevant terminal for your ship. It was all very well organised and our driver even gave us a commentary about the history of Civitavecchia! They help with your luggage as well. We walked to the shuttle service from our nearby hotel. It was not a problem. I hope that helps.

We just did this 2 weeks ago as we were staying at a  b&b type accommodation.

25.00 taxi fee right next to the ship.

We hailed one on the street but we were sure to ask if he could enter the port.

Best money ever spent.

6 hours ago, Valentin53 said:

We took a local train from Termini Station to Civitavecchia Station (for about 10 Euro/pp), about 1 hour. From there there was a 2 euro coach transfer service to the  terminal for our ship.

How was that experience, if I may ask? Crowded, noisy, or pleasant and on-time?

8 hours ago, Rysyonok said:

For us, traveling by train in Italy is very pleasant - the trains are clean and not crowded, and the journey itself does not take much time. We would certainly prefer this trip over expensive taxis again - easy, comfortable and enjoyable.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rysyonok said:

We took the train from Termini to Civitavecchia Oct 1.  We had booked first class to have more luggage space but any larger than a carry-on would not fit in the first car as there weren't any luggage racks in that car despite being 1st class.  We heard there was some in the second car but we just placed our luggage in empty seats (We had seat reservations).  This was an issue for a lot of people in our car.  Train ride was fine though!  We opted to walk to port as it was a beautiful day (Instead of taking the shuttle)  BIG mistake!  We were at the furthest dock and it ended up being 3.5 km instead of the 1.5 to the port google listed.