AON requesting copy of quarantine order from government official - claim started in June

I'll take any help/advice.

Cruised Norwegian in May. Barcelona. Tested positive (2 days) after off the ship. Had booked all thru Norwegian, including travel insurance,  flight & post cruise hotel. Helpful NCL consultant advised to file claim with travel insurance. At that time, we had to present a negative test to board a plane ( American airline) to fly home. Also CDC guidelines were to quarantine for at least 5 days. Spent 6 days in Barcelona , waiting to test negative. 

Once home, I filed a claim with AON. I'm still waiting. 

They allowed only trip interruption claim. So I filed hotel receipts. Max I can get is $500 - a drop in the bucket but I'll take it. Finally in last weeks, AON sent an email requesting a copy of unused airline tickets, which I do have. But they are also requesting a copy of the quarantine order from a government official. That has me stumped. I was in Spain. Regardless of the quarantine guidelines of either country, I was there because I could not board a plane to my home until I tested negative. 

Any thoughts or advice? Anyone been thru this as well? CDC guidelines sufficient?

I love Norwegian, but I seriously doubt I will purchase insurance thru them again.

13 minutes ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

I'll take any help/advice.

Cruised Norwegian in May. Barcelona. Tested positive (2 days) after off the ship. Had booked all thru Norwegian, including travel insurance,  flight & post cruise hotel. Helpful NCL consultant advised to file claim with travel insurance. At that time, we had to present a negative test to board a plane ( American airline) to fly home. Also CDC guidelines were to quarantine for at least 5 days. Spent 6 days in Barcelona , waiting to test negative. 

Once home, I filed a claim with AON. I'm still waiting. 

They allowed only trip interruption claim. So I filed hotel receipts. Max I can get is $500 - a drop in the bucket but I'll take it. Finally in last weeks, AON sent an email requesting a copy of unused airline tickets, which I do have. But they are also requesting a copy of the quarantine order from a government official. That has me stumped. I was in Spain. Regardless of the quarantine guidelines of either country, I was there because I could not board a plane to my home until I tested negative. 

Any thoughts or advice? Anyone been thru this as well? CDC guidelines sufficient?

I love Norwegian, but I seriously doubt I will purchase insurance thru them again.

I can't help with your situation, as I have no idea, but DEFINITELY get 3rd party travel insurance, and get it through a good broker or agent who can help you if necessary.

We (and many others here on CC) use www.TripInsuranceStore.com

When you are ready, CALL them to discuss your particular needs and concerns.  The online policy summaries don't get into useful details.

Hope you get some help with this!

GC

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/01/28/2021-01977/requirement-for-negative-pre-departure-covid-19-test-result-or-documentation-of-recovery-from

How about this?  It is a link to the CDC order for a pre-departure negative test.

It does not mention quarantine; nevertheless, you could not fly without a negative test. That should still qualify for Trip Delay, though I have not read the NCL policy.

Did you test positive on the ship? Did they give you any documentation?

I took a look at the NCL Platinum Plan, then reread your post. I see that you tested positive two days after leaving the ship.

The crux of the matter seems to be how you tested and what documentation you have to support your claim. In order to qualify for Trip Interruption, you must be restricted from travel by doctor’s orders or be quarantined  by a government official or doctor. Do you have any paperwork to substantiate either?

Are you getting Trip Interruption or Trip Delay? They are not the same thing. The dollar limit for Trip Delay is $500, and it covers quarantine as a hazard but not illness. Maybe that is why they are asking for a quarantine order.

I’m not sure the CDC statement by itself will be much help. You first have to show that you tested positive and received official orders not to travel in order to satisfy the terms of the policy. At the very least, you’d need documented test results.

If you do not have anything else, send the proof of each test result along with the CDC document. I don’t have enough information about your circumstances to offer any other recommendation.

Thank you both for taking time to respond. I signed back onto the AON website. When I sign on with name and ref #, I can can only navigate to site asking for more documents, and a link to upload. No other info available, including specifics re: my claim. So I am unsure if it was trip delay vs interruption. This is my first rodeo with travel insurance. Live and learn. Certainly will never use AON again, and will happily share this info with my Cruise Consultant. I will attempt to call AON to get more info. Thank you so much for the link Babr. I will at least try that, and see what they say ( which I bet will take at least a month to respond).

I’m pretty sure they are processing it as Trip Delay because it happened after you disembarked. You were delayed en route to returning home. That is why you are eligible only for the $500 reimbursement. Covered Hazard for delay includes quarantine, but that is not the same thing as being required to produce documentation to fly. Even though it is related, there is no black letter provision for it in the policy.

As a side note, AON is the administrator who processes the claim. They do that for a number of cruise line policies. If you want to avoid them, be sure to check for who processes the claims regardless of the underwriter or cruise line.